• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

restoring dry cigars from online purchase

lemonsandpeaches

I usually buy cigars in 5-packs from Famous-Smoke.com so I can try a few kinds. However, I always find that they arrive dry as a log. Not sure if this is a result of the transport or how they store them, but either way, I have a couple questions:

Question 1: what is the best way to restore them? Just place them in a humidifier with 65% humidity? And how long should I keep them them (approximately) before they should be ready?
Question 2: what is the proper way of checking if a cigar is ready to smoke? I hear conflicting views. Some say to squeeze the middle of the cigar and see if it springs back. Others warn that squeezing the middle might damage the cigar, and that it's better to squeeze the open end. What's correct?

I usually buy cigars in 5-packs from Famous-Smoke.com so I can try a few kinds. However, I always find that they arrive dry as a log. Not sure if this is a result of the transport or how they store them, but either way, I have a couple questions:

Question 1: what is the best way to restore them? Just place them in a humidifier with 65% humidity? And how long should I keep them them (approximately) before they should be ready?
Question 2: what is the proper way of checking if a cigar is ready to smoke? I hear conflicting views. Some say to squeeze the middle of the cigar and see if it springs back. Others warn that squeezing the middle might damage the cigar, and that it's better to squeeze the open end. What's correct?

First of all, if the cigars you are purchasing from them are coming in that dry, why are you not sending them back and complaining??

Question #1 - If the cigars have just come from Famous, they shouldn't be too hard to get back to normal. Just put them in your humi for a while and check on them ocassionally. But, the correct answer for this is my initial statement.

Question #2 - A gentle squeeze anywhere on the cigar will let you know if it's ready to go or not.

If you have to worry about them cracking with a light squeeze, then they are too dry and I would send them back. Also, I wouldn't order from Famous...

@bfisher88: Why would you recommend against Famous? And what sites would you recommend instead?

I complained about it to their support team, but they just answered that they keep them in an optimal environment, but can't account for how shipping changes them. I have a feeling that their 5-packs are handled worse then if I bought a box, but I just don't want to commit to whole boxes yet (still trying to find what I like). I have bought at local (B&M) stores before, but they often also seem dry. I think storing cigars in plastics wrappers is a bad idea, in general, but the stores don't seem to agree...

@bfisher88: Why would you recommend against Famous? And what sites would you recommend instead?

I complained about it to their support team, but they just answered that they keep them in an optimal environment, but can't account for how shipping changes them. I have a feeling that their 5-packs are handled worse then if I bought a box, but I just don't want to commit to whole boxes yet (still trying to find what I like). I have bought at local (B&M) stores before, but they often also seem dry. I think storing cigars in plastics wrappers is a bad idea, in general, but the stores don't seem to agree...

It doesn't matter if the cigars are stored in their plastic wrappers (cello) or not, as long as they are kept in a properly humidified environment, it won't affect the cigars. B&M's ARE NOT going to take them out of the cello. Now, as for Famous, they certainly aren't known for their exceptional customer service nor their cigars. If they kept their cigars in an "optimal environment", then the 3-5 days it takes to get to you shouldn't dry out the cigars.

What I'm curious about at this point, is, what is your definition of dry? Because if you think that the cigars in your B&M are dry along with what you are ordering, maybe what you think is dry, really isn't. B&M's main source of cash flow is selling their cigars and if their cigars are as dry as you say they are, they would be out of business by now. A cigar shouldn't be spongy. You should be able to squeeze the cigar gently and have it move with your fingers. My definition of dry is when the cigar doesn't move when I squeeze it and the wrapper cracks.

In addition to what Jonesy just mentioned above, if you gently roll it between your fingers next to your ear and hear a dry sound....then you may indeed have a dry cigar. They should be supple to the touch...not spongey...I tend to check for this closer to the foot of the cigar. When you roll it, you shouldn't really hear anything.

The more you smoke and gain experience, this will become a ritual and second nature to each cigar you smoke.

Good question to ask as we all ask ourselves this from time to time when we pull a new stick out of our humidors...even the plastic kind!

I'm with Jonesy on this one. Why do you think these are dry? What are you experiencing with them that leads you to the conclusion that they are dry?
In addition, are you comparing them to Drug Store Cigars, which are often loaded with Propylene Glycol?
Finally, do some reading of what constitutes over and underhumidified cigars.

Good luck.

My definition of dry is when the cigar doesn't move when I squeeze it and the wrapper cracks.

We also need to keep in mind there are a lot of variables with this question. What kind of wrapper? Wrapper thickness? How tight is the cigar?

Never been a big internet cigar guy myself, but since joining this site I have placed about 5 different orders. One of which was for two five packs from Famous. I was impressed with their service - I inadvertently ordered Maduro when I wanted Natural and an email (which was promptly responded to by a live person) was all it took to resolve the mistake. Shipping time for me was great - they are only about an hour or so north of Philly so I ordered around lunch time and they were waiting for me when I got home from work the next day.

I had read somewhere the internet retailers over humidify their cigars, so that they can better weather the trip, so I assumed these would need to dry out a bit, but after a couple of days in my humidor the first cigar I pulled out was still a little dry. What was most interesting/ concerning was that one of the 5 packs was dry, but the other was actually a little over humidified. I smoked one last night - going on a little more than a week - and I would have preferred it to be a little drier.

As to the question at hand, I have re-hydrated dry cigars just by leaving them in the humidor for a long while. I had read that overly dried out cigars can be repaired by leaving them in a Tupperware container with a wet paper towel. I tired this once and it didn't work out so well. The whole batch was covered in mold by the time I first checked on them.

To answer a few of you: If you hang around here long enough you will find out just why most of us would not order from them. Stick around and read. Search for threads on vendors and such and start to learn more.

It's always a good idea to let cigars received in the mail 'rest' for a week or so in the humi. Not just for the sake of rehydration, letting them rest stabilzes tempurature and rh. If you have cigars that need restoration because they've dried, this will take some patience. Lay them out in a single layer in your humi. Over the next month or two, roll each cigar 1/4 turn every week.

(edit for spelling)

I have some knowledge of Dry cigars. It could be brought back to an acceptable smoking condition, they will probably never be as good as they originally were. There are several ways of treating dry cigars, depending on their condition. Buy cigars which has become dry and the wrapper has not cracked and unravelled, then it can be restored.

Is this your business? Is there a reason you're pimping a retailer that doesn't seem to have much to do with the thread topic?

I have some knowledge of Dry cigars. It could be brought back to an acceptable smoking condition, they will probably never be as good as they originally were. There are several ways of treating dry cigars, depending on their condition. Buy cigars which has become dry and the wrapper has not cracked and unravelled, then it can be restored.

buy cigars

Because you sell them?

Seems you're making the rounds! ;)

i would agree with what people are saying above. if they are coming log dry....dont order from them again.

my overseas orders come shipped tight w/ a humi pack and are in better shape than what you are describing.

but in any case, throw em in the humi for a few weeks and check. i squeeze the open end to check if its at its proper humidity. springs back quickly, good to go.

You might want to try using your shift key in the appropriate spots.

Post carpet-bombing requires quickness and such things as proper grammar must be thrown to the way side.

I have never ordered any packs of cigars from FS, but I ordered from other online stores and never got them dry...
Just think whether you should do any deals with them?

i hope youre not talking to me.

You might want to try using your shift key in the appropriate spots.

What's so difficult to fathom about that? Using proper grammar and punctuation is part of the rules here. We're a respected community and alot of the threads here are utilized by many B/SOTLs for information, so we take pride in proper forum etiquette such as punctuation and grammar.

Don't take it personally, it's just a regular rule here. Tom was being quite nice about it actually, so don't cry over milk that hasn't even been spilled. It's not worth it. ;)