• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Graduation, summer trips, Europe, other ramblings...

JHolmes763

Drinkin' the koolaid
So I've got a busy summer and fall coming up. One more class tomorrow and a final next Tuesday and my Masters of Science in Interdisciplinary Telecommunications is complete. Colorado is a great place to hang out and get a paid-for Masters, if you ever get that option. :)

Kids are still in school until the end of May. Then there's a week of movers coming to pack up our stuff. Three different moves as some stuff is going into storage, some stuff to Augusta, GA where we'll spend a few months this summer and the bulk of our stuff to Brussels, Belgium. That's where we'll be for the next 2-3 years starting in October. Wife, kids, dog, mother-in-law... we're all going to Europe.

Since we've got a couple of weeks between when the kids get out of school and I have to be in Georgia, I figured we should take a tiny road trip. So leaving from Colorado, we'll head towards the Grand Canyon. Never been there, so I just want to check it off my list. After that, it's a night in Vegas. Again, wife, kids, dog, MIL... so I don't think it'll be a night in Vegas like other people have. I'm sure we'll stroll the strip a little, at least, though. Next leg is towards Calfiornia, stop over in Sacramento and then hit Hwy 101 and drive along the coast. i want to put my feet in the ocean on that side of the country and see the Redwood Nation Park. Sleep over in Oregon somewhere and then head towards Seattle. BIL lives there, so we'll spend a couple of days seeing the sights and his place. Next leg is east towards Mt. Rushmore with a sleepover in Montana somewhere. After checking Mt. Rushmore off my list, we keep heading east towards Green Bay and up into the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Sleep over in St. Ignace by the Mackinac bridge and a day trip over to Mackinac Island for some fudge. Then it's a quick 3 hour drive down to my parents place where we'll all crash for 4 or 5 days and see family. Probably throw a quick early party for my daughter who will turn 4 on the 4th of July. Few weeks early, but since we're there and we won't be around for the next 2-3 years. Then we finally head to Georgia with a sleepover in WV somewhere. Get into a small apartment and live out of suitcases for a few months until it's time to move to Belgium.

So... a little road trip of about 6,000 miles. Two screens in the van with DVD player, Sirius Backseat TV and the Wii hooked up should keep the kids from getting too bored. I've scheduled the legs so there's only 7-9 hours of driving each day, too, so they don't get too tired of just sitting in the car. I think they'll hardly notice, though.

Trip to Belgium is going to be just as interesting, especially with the dog. I'm going to be working at a NATO agency. Suits and ties for work (still have to get those). Housing on the economy. We'll have to find that, too. At least there's an American (DOD) school close by that the kids can attend right away. If they get fluent enough in French, then hopefully the 2nd and 3rd years they can go to a local school and really get a feel for the culture. There should be plenty of work and pleasure travel time, so we'll get to see a lot of things. Comfy travel to European sites, US sites and even shitty travel to desert Southwest Asia sites. At least the travel without family to fun desert locations will only be around a month at a time instead of 15 in a row this time around.

Not sure what the cigar situation is going to be over there, so I've got the B&M here on retainer to send packages on demand. I'm not a big Cuban fan, although given the option, I may sample around a bit. I still want access to my favorite Nic smokes, though.

Since I'm traveling with a lot of baggage, I doubt there'll be any opportunities to meet up with anyone along the way. If you recognize any of the stops and live nearby and want to see if something will work out, though, shoot me a PM. I'll try.

I'm sitting at the top of a big ass hill that I'm going to be barreling down for the next six months. I hope everyone else has an exciting summer lined up, although maybe a little less intense. :)

Happy smokes.

-John er... Marcus O'Neil. ;)

The best of luck Bro, sounds like all of you are in for a great extended holiday and the young'ns will have wonderful memories to last a lifetime.
Hope you keep in touch with all of us here, we will all be waiting to read your stories.
Happy trails Bro.

Sounds like you have a tidy plan there, John. Wishing you a fruitful trip. Sincere congrats on your Masters, and thank you for your service!

Wow that's one awsome adventure that the kids will remember for a life time. Hope you & your family have a wonderful & safe trip. Thank You for your service.

Sorry folks, Mt Rushmore is closed. The moose out front should have told you.

Good luck, Clark. :D

Enjoy your travels!!!

Hope to see some photo's and hear some tales!

:thumbs:

Safe travels and I'm quite jealous.. seems like it's been forever since I've had my toes in the water, a*s in the sand.

Sounds like an awesome trip. I must say I'm jealous as well. I'm sure the kids will love it as well. Hopefully you have the headphones for the back seat as well. My son watched "The Incredibles" non-stop from Salt Lake City to Jackson, MS.

Sounds like a heluva road trip, and congrats on almost being Master's complete. I hope you enjoy living in Europe as much as my family and I did. Belgium was by far our favorite weekend trip.

Well... phase 1 is done. Just submitted my final programming project and I'm officially DONE with school. If I cared, I'd be walking the stage tomorrow. Instead, I'm taking my wife to the airport so she can go help her mom pack up for the next two weeks.

Next phase: packing & movers.

Good luck. That sounds like one hell of a road trip. I'm pretty jealous.

Good luck with the move. Make sure you take those kids to see as much of Europe as possible while over there. Even if they aren't old enough to understand what they are seeing/doing right now, at least they can say they've "been there" later on in life. Not to mention, you get to see a lot of cool shite, too! We took a USO trip to Brussels last year. I absolutely loved it. Weather was for crap, but other than that, it was great. Oh, from what I saw, you won't have to worry too much about the cigar selection...

We have three years left stationed here in Germany, and then my wife will have another 14 months until retirement. She is contemplating applying for a position with NATO in Brussels. We love it over here in Europe.

Looks like Kaiserslauterrn is only a 3.5 hrs away from Brussels. Maybe we'll get a chance to meet up. I have no idea if those Google Map driving times are accurate, though. :)

We plan to see as much of Europe as possible. Supposed to be a lot of job-related travel involved around Europe, so that should give us extra opportunities, too. No real idea what I'm getting into until we're over there, though.

Just for fun & reference, here's our summer trip. 5925 miles according to Google. Colorado to Georgia, the long way. 20 states in 20 days. :D

med_gallery_3866_104_300087.png

Well, Phase II is complete. Five days of packing and loading boxes. Well, watching the movers do all the work, actually. I just organized stuff into piles for them to pack and took things apart. Just a little yard work to do and on Monday we'll be out of here. Bring on the road trip!

I didn't see Wall Drug, SD on your list, but you should plan a stop there -- even if it's just for a 5 cent cup of coffee. It's the mother of all tourist traps, but it's an experience in itself. Pull in for lunch and let the kids run around for a little while.

Well... Third of the way into Phase III. Staying in Seattle fir a few days. Beautiful weather and a nice smoking area in front of the hotel with a view of the space needle.

Trip is going well so far. Monument valley didn't dissapoint. Kids liked running through the desert and a chance to get out of the car. Grand Canyon was amazing. Vegas was a sight to see, but we'd have to spend a week there to see it all. Hot chocolate in Napa as it was a little chilly and too early for wine. Kids loved seeing the redwoods but I think they enjoyed playing on the black sand beach the best. We watched the sun go down on the beach before flying through some crazy curvy backroads in Oregon at night. Seafood, pikes market, flying fish in Seattle and still a day left.

Nice to be able to stay in the same place fir a few days, but I'm looking forward to our next leg, too. I hope everyone is having a good summer and some great smokes!

Looks like a great trip. Always wanted to see the NW part of the country myself. If you decide to slide west some on your southern travel and go through the Smokey Mountains and Gatlinburg, Let me know I have a rental cabin.

Jerry