• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Why Spanish Cedar?

DuBose45

First thanks to all the members that make this site such an excellent source of information.

I was wonder why do humidors have to be made of Spanish Cedar. I live in the Pacific Northwest and we have Cedar everywhere so what is it that makes Spanish Cedar that much better? Does it help regulate the humidity that much better? I am a newbie so I hope this question is not too ignorant.

If I am correct, Spanish cedar is not cedar. Please don't put normal cedar in your humidor. To my understanding normal cedar is too aromatic and will overpower your cigars. I believe this question has been discussed in the past, but I cannot seem to find the posts right now. I will edit this one if/when I do.

Try this one: Spanish cedar vs regular cedar

edit to post link

Yeah much has been discussed on this, but having trouble finding the threads too. But I think the main reason is because it particularly holds moisture well, another reason is the aromatic quality over other woods. It isn't the strongest wood either, which is why humidors are usually lined with it and not built completely with it... also the price of it!

Of course the wood will be able to absorb and release some moisture, but I think most of the responsibility should fall on your humidity device (in my case beads). I don't think the spanish cedar is a must or else there wouldn't be so many cooler-dors or vine-dors around.

google:

cedrela odorata

antique humidors - Some odd designs to our senses, often using mahogany and oak and pine.

There was this guy named Ignatz, who couldn't find a market for his cedar. The rest is history!

:whistling: