• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

My First Frigador

_Deon_

Smoke Em If You Got Em
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:9114]

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:9115]

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:9116]

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:9117]

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:9118]

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:9119]

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:9120]

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:9121]

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:9122]

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:9123]

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:9124]

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:9125]

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:9126]

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:9127]

I don't know what pics you loaded Deon, they all show "no permissions".

<edit> I can see them now, thanks for fixing it.

That's a nice build you did, are you putting it in a basement or something?

Yes, it will find a resting place somewhere in the basement. I have to season the frigador, then I will fill it up. Thanks to the people from the CP community, I was able to build this without any hiccups.

What are you going to use to humidify it? I have run into a problem of a moldy smell in mine. So I put in a box of baking soda for today and I am going to my cigar store to look for a new humidity method. I was using a large green block and some water in a tupperware. Dumb, I know. But I did not want to pay for a system at this time.

CB

What are you going to use to humidify it? I have run into a problem of a moldy smell in mine. So I put in a box of baking soda for today and I am going to my cigar store to look for a new humidity method. I was using a large green block and some water in a tupperware. Dumb, I know. But I did not want to pay for a system at this time.

CB
CB, have you tried using beads, or were you leaning towards those "active humidifiers"?

Not to insult your intelligence CB, but are you using Distilled Water with that floral foam?

CB, I am using 70% RH Beads from Heartfelt Industries.

Not to insult your intelligence CB, but are you using Distilled Water with that floral foam?

No intelligence here I can assure you :)
I have distilled water but sometimes I do get lazy I admit it.
Went to a couple of stores near my house but they only had multi-cat poo style cat litter, not the crystal kind I saw on other forums that would work.
Will be more disciplined in the water use and get the right beads... I see the crystals are from an actual pet store.

Meeeow.

What do you think of this product??

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11256828

Nicely done, I'm sure it'll do a fine job of storing your smokes. Might consider a secondary thermostat if you have issues keeping it warm enough inside. While the cold won't really hurt the smokes directly, if you start getting condensation in there you'll have mold issues.

While it looks nice, I wouldn't have lined it. IMHO all the lining really does is take up some valuable humidified real estate. Before I got my cabinet, I had five coolers up and running....no linings.

Keep you smokes in their boxes, loose ones in other boxes, you should be good to go.

Have fun - B.B.S.

Nicely done, I'm sure it'll do a fine job of storing your smokes. Might consider a secondary thermostat if you have issues keeping it warm enough inside. While the cold won't really hurt the smokes directly, if you start getting condensation in there you'll have mold issues.

While it looks nice, I wouldn't have lined it. IMHO all the lining really does is take up some valuable humidified real estate. Before I got my cabinet, I had five coolers up and running....no linings.

Keep you smokes in their boxes, loose ones in other boxes, you should be good to go.

Have fun - B.B.S.

Yes but I bet you have shelves and what not in your cabinet. That takes up valuable space as well. :p

Yes but I bet you have shelves and what not in your cabinet. That takes up valuable space as well. :p
....but my cabinet has more room in it than all the coolers combined, so it's all good.... :p

Found a solution at my local cigar shop... Reindeer makes this small unit, about 7" x 3" x 3" with beads, you fill it with distilled water and the beads expand to fill the clear box. When the water level goes down, you simply refill. $20.

Easy!

Keeping the baking soda in there for a while to keep it fresh.

True story, I gave a friend a tube of beads and a humi to start with. He didn't think distilled water was THAT important so he used bottled water one day. Sure enough, he called frantic that his beads were green and moldy. I had to give him new beads. Now he is gellin like a felon! :thumbs:

I hope I don't ever see a pic of a cigar coming out of your humi looking like a Swiffer, CB. :laugh:

Wisecigars506, they are pretty easy and cheap to build. The frig + materials was less than $250.

BlindedByScience, i took out the freezer tray, thermostat, and compressor. Just using it as an oversizes humidor. The cedar lining is just 1/4 inch, the shelfs are 1/2 inch. Wanted to line it, did not want that plasticy smell. For me there is plenty of space for me. Plus the drawer has alot of space for singles qnd bundles.

BlindedByScience, i took out the freezer tray, thermostat, and compressor. Just using it as an oversizes humidor. The cedar lining is just 1/4 inch, the shelfs are 1/2 inch. Wanted to line it, did not want that plasticy smell. For me there is plenty of space for me. Plus the drawer has alot of space for singles qnd bundles.

It is true. You will fill it up faster than you think. I think what you did was pretty cool. Heartfelt Beads is the way to go. I took one of those plastic picnic cups and cut it down. Then put water in it and sat it in my 200-300 desktop humidor and never had a problem with it. I now use the Avallo Accumonitor on my 3k stick humidor. I also have 1 lb of Heartfelt beads on the top shelf of my big humidor. :)