• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Isle of Jura 16 yo Scotch

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Isle of Jura 16 yo, "squeezed" style bottle, 750 ml, 86 proof, about $40. (10 yo available for about $30 and a 30 yo for about $150. There is a 21 yo but it isn't available in the States) Strangely, it is imported by Heaven Hill of Bardstown, KY. who is better known for their bourbon and rye products.

Jura%2016.JPG

The distillery at the Isle of Jura is the only one still on the Isle, a fact they are very proud of. Right next to Islay, Jura Scotch is not quite as peaty or smokey as some of the Islay Scotches but still retains the character of the Isles.

After my long smoke of a Monetecristo "A" (reviewed here) I wanted to continue the relaxation mode so I pulled out the winning scotch in my vote list to kill 2 birds with one stone so to speak. Jura is a fresh almost young tasting whisky even at 16 years old. A light golden color it noses orange and oak with of course, malt. Different issues of Jura seem to change the amount of sweetness and the proof. This version is a bit more sweet and is a slightly higher proof than the 80 proof previous version or the replaced 15 yo version.

The taste is a combination of sweetness, fruit, sea salt and oak, not altogether unpleasent but not outstanding either. Jura finishes for a medium long amount of time with the sweetness slowly fading into a salty undertone.

Not a Scotch I would reccomend to a beginner but if you have had the mainstays and are looking for something a bit different Jura is well worth a try. A good solid medium level dram.

If you like the reviews or have some suggestions please comment. Also, don't forget to vote for the next review here.

I love the reviews. Too bad I can only afford to do one pleasure at a time. LOL

Emo

This is one, belive it or not, I have never had the inclination to try. I might give it a shot, but honestly will probably wait for the Scotch Fairy to bestow a bottle upon me rather than invest in one myself. :sign:

I was recently gifted a bottle of the 10 yr Isle of Jura in a bomb. I am a beginner when it comes to Scotch, but am anxious to try it!

I love seeing the old reviews used again :blush:

I friend brought this over one night and I decided to taste it before lighting up in order to be sure the tastebuds were fresh. We were both unimpressed. I kept getting an aftertaste that was very much like Tequila. We tried it again some weeks later and had the same result.

I was recently gifted a bottle of the 10 yr Isle of Jura in a bomb. I am a beginner when it comes to Scotch, but am anxious to try it!

I opened the 10 yr the other day and I am really enjoying it!! Now I have a new vice to go with cigars! :whistling: