• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Opus X Review

Marito

Because of my bad experience with a few Opus X Super Belicoso

Link: http://www.cigarpass.com/forums/index.php?...=8838&hl=opus+x
Link: http://www.cigarpass.com/forums/index.php?...=8967&hl=opus+x

Moki and I did a trade in which I received some beautifully kept Opus X of various sizes. I smoked the first last night—a Petit Lancero—and it was awesome. Now I finally understand.

Pre-light aroma was slightly spicy, almost a hint of vinegar in a pleasant way. I sparked up and the difference between this and the previously fouled Opus X with which I had experience was immediately noticeable. I was greeted with tons of smoke and a perfect draw. The flavor was spicy (as Moki suggested in a jalepeno way), perhaps in addition to the pepper was a flavor that filled and excited taste buds throughout the entire mouth – peppery yes but a bit more complex as well. The smoke left a creamy feel being after exhaling, a little like what is left behind when eating ice cream or some other fatty food. (I wrote an article years ago about the dawn of fake fats for fast foods and apparently, the challenge for food designers was not in inventing the taste, but in replicating just this feeling in the mouth of creamy fatty texture, like a lot of little soft beads rolling around in there. Apparently, that feeling in the mouth is why we love fat so much—this cigar replicates that feel beautifully). Upon exhale I tasted light citrus flavors—maybe a little lemon—but very mild and pleasant. A beautiful touch here in that it was almost like a palatte cleanser following the fatty feel of the smoke. Construction was good, not great (hardly enough to note though a mild runner caused me to relight as I did not want to run the risk of ending this smoke too soon due to a bad burn), though Moki explained that this will take a before the cigars even out a bit from their travels.

This was an awesome cigar that I totally enjoyed. (I stayed outside with it until there was nothing left, and it dropped into the low 30s here last night during my smoke). As a certified Padron slut, this is a different smoke for me, and I am somewhat critical in general. This was clearly one of the best sticks I have ever enjoyed and am very grateful to you all for keeping me on the path through my previous disappointments. Now I finally get it.

Nice review. I'm gonna have to smoke one of the "hoarded" few I have.

:thumbs:

Nice review, I have yet to smoke one. I will probably break down and splurge in the near future.

Nice review man! Now THAT is what an Opus should taste like -- you did an excellent job describing the flavors, IMHO. Glad you found one that you enjoyed --

It's something everyone (myself included) needs to keep in mind. First, how cigars are stored can GREATLY affect the taste. Second, never judge a cigar line by smoking only one or even two cigars.

Smokes up!

Nice review Marito.

I have a Perfection X that I'm lighting up Saturday nite at my Nephew's wedding reception. I look forward to my first Opus experence, and hope I enjoy it as much as you did.

Bruce

Yes, great review, and thanks for doing all the detective work as opposed to just writing off the brand.

And thanks to you, Moki for making the worthless trade that made the info complete.

hudsonvalley said:
Yes, great review, and thanks for doing all the detective work as opposed to just writing off the brand.

And thanks to you, Moki for making the worthless trade that made the info complete.
Worthless trade? ???

I was referring to the Opus he sent you

Marito and I did a trade, and he tossed in one of his Opus X Super Belicosos for me to try, because he'd been disappointed with the cigar.

I sparked it up a few minutes ago; I can't answer any of his construction complaints, because I didn't burn it for more than an inch or so before mashed it into the ground and tossed it into the dumpster.

It's right up there as one of the worst Opus X cigars I've ever smoked; only nascent hints of the Opus X flavor were present. The cigar had a bitter aftertaste that was akin to a mixture of petroleum and unripe lemon, with hints of rubbing alcohol. It was harsh, and rather nasty.
I guess really it was just a gift as he "tossed in" the bad smoke. Anyway I bought a couple Opus a few years ago and had a similar experience to Marito's. It wasn't as bad as this batch but not a good smoke by any means. I rarely go back to that shop anymore.
I meant no reflection on Marito if anyone took it that way. It is just so helpful to get this sort of info.

hudsonvalley said:
I guess really it was just a gift as he "tossed in" the bad smoke. Anyway I bought a couple Opus a few years ago and had a similar experience to Marito's. It wasn't as bad as this batch but not a good smoke by any means. I rarely go back to that shop anymore.
I was pondering this the other day. I wonder if one of the reasons might be that because it is such a sought after stick, they might tend to change a lot of hands before finally getting to someone who'll smoke the damn thing.

For instance, it might look like this:

Retailer->Gouger->Poor slob who overpaid->Trade to a friend->Gets tossed in a box pass->Traded to a BOTL->Another trade->someone finally smokes it

Dunno. But I can say that I've been traded an Opus that was absolutely horrid tasting -- and the one that Marito sent me... well, there was clearly something massively wrong with it, as his review makes clear.

Sorry to say it Marito, but those other SBs should probably be tossed in the trash. Well, keep the bands. ;)

The taste of these babies DEFINATELY grows on ya :thumbs:

I had smoked them over the years and usualy said "What is the big friggin' deal with these things?" and the price and availability games that cigar shops play made me avoid these.

BUT after getting active here and trading for a few and learning of places to buy them (El Fumador ;) ) where you don't get raped too badly, I decided to give 'em a try one more time. I find I have to be in the mood for them so to speak and I've never enjoyed them early in the day as they are fairly strong.

They are a wonderful cigar, a nice treat every now and then ;)

Time for one NOW :D

coventrycat86 said:
BUT after getting active here and trading for a few and learning of places to buy them (El Fumador ;) ) where you don't get raped too badly, I decided to give 'em a try one more time. I find I have to be in the mood for them so to speak and I've never enjoyed them early in the day as they are fairly strong.

Knew you'd come around :)

You should try an aged Opus -- even the ones from 1999 are quite interesting compared to fresh Opus Xs. Some of the Opus X that are approaching a decade old... mmmmm!

I clearly remember my first Opus X - Moki invited me to his cigar club, handed me a FFOX Belicoso and we sat and puffed away.

well..it was a great cigar but phew it was strong. I went home and had to lay on the couch for a good few hours just to get my head screwed back on straight.

It was more like a meal :)

moki said:
coventrycat86 said:

Knew you'd come around :)

You should try an aged Opus -- even the ones from 1999 are quite interesting compared to fresh Opus Xs. Some of the Opus X that are approaching a decade old... mmmmm!
I know that Moki knows this is true about aged Opus :sign:

whupwhup said:
I clearly remember my first Opus X - Moki invited me to his cigar club, handed me a FFOX Belicoso and we sat and puffed away.

well..it was a great cigar but phew it was strong. I went home and had to lay on the couch for a good few hours just to get my head screwed back on straight.
Yeah that was fun watching your eyes glaze over though. Next time you're up here we'll smoke some aged ones, see what you think of those.