• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Bowmore Darkest Scotch

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Bowmore Darkest, no age given but most likely 12 yo, standard bottle, tube container, 86 proof, about $40.

Bowmore%20Darkest.JPG

Settling in for game 3 of the ALCS I poured a generous dollop of Bowmore Darkest in my glass. As Boston took the lead the level seemed to go down at a quicker rate but that ended in the 4th as the Yanks pulled ahead for good. What a shellacking!

Bowmore Darkest is one in a series of three Bowmores stored in different casks, the other two being Dawn and Dusk. Darkest is stored in Oloroso Sherry casks before being bottled, the same casks used for many brands but most notably, Macallan.

Bowmore, even though it is an Islay scotch, is not as "peaty" as some of it's brethern on the Isle. The nosing for Darkest combines Islay peat with the sherry and oak in a wonderful trifecta of smell. This is a big flavorful malt without being overly complex. What you get are three wonderfully balanced flavors from the peat, sherry and oak. Bowmore Darkest finish is long with a hint of licorice floating around the malt, smoke and peat.

Easily the best of the three offerings (IMO), Darkest is one of the better buys in Scotch at the moment. $40 for a scotch this big is truely a good buy. ACE! :thumbs:

I think I got ran over by a Fat Tire Beer ;)

Another great review, AVB. Still trying to find more room in my budget, although, at $40, this seems like a bottle that needs to be in my collection.

Gregor

As always AVB, great review. I've always liked Bowmore's products myself, though I have no "Darkest" in my currenst aresenal.

Again, thanks for the review. :)

I just bought a bottle of this , on sale, for 31.99. I must say it's not what I expected for an Islay. I just love the combination of smoke and sherry. Only a Scot could come up with that. What I smell on agitating is sherry, ETOH, and just a hint of smoke. It feels silky on the palate and tastes just wonderful with a hint of oak as AVB describes. I think this is a good introduction, for the beginner, to Islay whisky. Keep in mind, however, I drink it I don't study it.

Doc.

REALLY great price. I'd buy all you can at $32 a pop.

I just bought a bottle of this , on sale, for 31.99. I must say it's not what I expected for an Islay. I just love the combination of smoke and sherry. Only a Scot could come up with that. What I smell on agitating is sherry, ETOH, and just a hint of smoke. It feels silky on the palate and tastes just wonderful with a hint of oak as AVB describes. I think this is a good introduction, for the beginner, to Islay whisky. Keep in mind, however, I drink it I don't study it.

Doc.

Hell, it's only $34 when it's not on sale. Booze, butts, and bets, are how we finance goverment around here. :whistling:

Doc.

It's up to $62 here in PA and I can't find it in MD for less then $55, which by the time you drive there you might as well pay the PA price.

You need some? Even with shipping you'd save money.

Doc.

Yup, it's tubed. Just let me know when you're ready. Somebody has to pay for our kids education and it might as well be you. :rolleyes:

Doc.