• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Tomintoul 27 yo Single Malt

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Tomintoul 27 yo Single Malt Scotch, 700ml, tube package, 80 proof, not available in the US, about $115 from the UK.

Tomintoul%2027.JPG

Today was very brisk but sunny, perfect for doing some physical things outside without getting all sweaty. Leaves are taken care of, the burn pile is reduced, realigned my antenna and satellite dish after our 55mph winds of the other day and now have a signal of 100 on transponder 18 :thumbs:. Did some work on one of the decks and cleaned most of one garage. All in all a pretty good day and one that deserves a nice dram while waiting for dinner.

Tomintoul is one of the newer distilleries having started production in 1965 with 2 stills and later increased to 4 about 10 years later. Tomintoul is mostly used for the Whyte & Mackay blends that I so thoroughly like so it should be no surprise that I think of this pretty highly. Tomintoul bills itself as "The Gentle Dram" and wile that is true among the 3 or so offerings I've had that doesn’t not mean it is weak. Like all of the brands in the Speyside-Glenlivet area it has a certain characteristic of sweetness that isn't found in other parts of Scotland. The 10 yo version is a bit stronger but less refined while 16 yo seems to need a few more years. There is a 33 yo that I haven't tried too.

Tomintoul 27 yo noses well with apples, pears, caramel and a hint of almond, all very intriguing. The taste is soft with very little alcohol bite but still fairly complex with a fruity spicy taste instead of the more common woody malty one. The finish is sweet with some nice spice on the sides of the tongue and short to medium in length.

Compared to the 10 and 16 yo offerings the 27 seem to have gotten everything right. The 10 yo is just rather pleasant non-descript speyside malt but the 27 truly rises to excellence. As of the bottles I can get from the UK I would recommend this very much to a beginner who would appreciate the mellow softness and the long time scotch drinker who can explore the intricacies of this dram. If you can't tell, I really like it. :thumbs:

Just a reminder that this will be available for the Juanuary Scotch order if anybody wants one. I'll post the details after the holidays.

I bet MiamiCubano is out looking for a bottle right now after reading my review. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

This is now available in the US, the 16 year as well. They ran $145.99 and $46.99 repectively here in AZ.

Price hasn't gone up too badly in the 3.5 years since my review. $135 is about as cheap as you'll find it.

This is now available in the US, the 16 year as well. They ran $145.99 and $46.99 repectively here in AZ.

This just went on sale for $99 Here. I'll prob pick up a couple of bottles at that price

Pretty sure it's been that price for a while now...at least 6 months. I've been meaning to pick up a bottle but never got around to it.

AVB , you are the king of scotch , is your real name Robert the Bruce !

My secret is out! :0