• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero Chisel Maduro

EzTheFix

Reaction score
Talk radio superstar Rush Limbaugh spend the better part of this week at the Pebble Beach Golf Course, where he participated in the AT&T National Pro-Am, walking from hole to hole with a Double Ligero Chisel in his mouth. So much does he like this cigar, that he will be seen smoking two of these, back to back, during his three hour radio program on a daily basis. Yet, don’t be fooled; Rush is a heavy weight when it comes to cigars, and the the Flor Dominicana Double Ligero Chisel is a powerhouse of a cigar that is certainly not to be taken lightly by the majority of us.

This cigar, while way too strong for the causal or inexperienced smoker, is a solid smoke with plenty of delicious aroma and flavor. The pre-light scent of this one is slightly muted, but dark and earthy. The saxophone-mouthpiece looking head is intriguing, but quite functional, as it cuts rather well and is very comfortable to hold in the mouth while delivering a good amount of smoke. Despite the unusual shape of the head, the draw is near perfect.

Now, this cigar has a slight burn problem, so it's not a light-n-forget smoke. Nearly every time I've had one, I've had my lighter in hand to correct the burn slightly before it gets out of hand, which it will, if left unchecked.

Once lit, the aroma of the smoke is fine and slightly sweet. An initial burst of spice and pepper, quickly yield to a rather sweet taste that I can only compare to a burnt caramel-like taste; it makes me think of the top of a crème brulée (did I mention I lived in France?). The sweetness is very well balanced though, by strong notes of good espresso beans. Suffice it to say that it is very pleasant and enjoyable. A temptation to continually draw in the flavorful smoke must be thoughtfully resisted if one is to get past half way, since the sheer power of this double ligero has been known to floor the best among us

I normally take plenty of time to enjoy this one (almost two hours), as this is not a cigar that likes to be rushed. Then, in the last inch, I plitely part companies with it, while still engulfed in the long, sweet, woody finish of this great smoke.

Try one some time and see for yourself.
(Photos)

A very well-written review. I've never had one as the super strong cigars are not to my taste but I can appreciate that some folks really enjoy sticks like these.

Welcome and feel free to post an introduction in the Welcome/Intro forum.

Wilkey

Are there any LFDs that are more medium-bodied? I have a box press that I have not tried yet, and I like the appearance so much I don't want to smoke it. Maybe when it loses its box-shape....

I've been very curious about these cigars. Your review has once again peaked my interest, I've got to try one. Great review.

Ginseng said:
A very well-written review. I've never had one as the super strong cigars are not to my taste but I can appreciate that some folks really enjoy sticks like these.

Wilkey

Just leaves more for me. :love:

But a nice review and yes, they do require attention and not meant for cigar smokers that do not like strong cigars. But still one of my favorites cigars to this day.

Nice review of a damn fine smoke that will kick your ass if you're not watching.

atuck said:
Nice review of a damn fine smoke that will kick your ass if you're not watching.
[snapback]288423[/snapback]​

Damn dude, I just saw your humidor photo; you've got to be kidding me, that thing's a dream!

Bingo! I ordered it from them and got it a few days later... very nice.

I finally got to try one of these cigars thanks to Hojadepuro. I had very high expectations for the Chisel and it did not disappoint. A solid 2 hours and a nice little buzz... great smoke. :thumbs:

Nick

I FINALLY was able to locate a couple of these. My local shop got a shipment in from LFD and I just happen to swing by there before they all got snatched up. I grabbed a couple Chisels and it will be tough to resist smoking these beauties but for now they are resting. Great review! :thumbs:

Just got one of these in a blind trade. I'm trying to let it settle in from travel before smoking it, but your review is tempting me to light it up. Thanks for the review.

Lkyman

I couldnt wait any longer and just had to fire one of mine up. Fantastic smoke and I was very impressed with the chisel shape tip. I will be going back to the shop tomorrow and hopefully picking up a few more! :thumbs: