• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Three-cigar review

Mark Twain

Call me Ishmael.
I’m currently working on some short stories and as any one who has written before can tell you procrastination and getting a piece of work written generally go hand in hand. I’ve decided to take a break from writing and do some reviews of some different smokes I’ve bought over the past year or so. The Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 petit corona, Oliva’s Master Blends 2 robusto, and the La Aurora 1903 Platinum tubo. All were purchased from Famous online and included some extras along with free shipping. I highly recommend the site, if you can get all of the above in your order.

9c428c72.jpg

The RP is a fabulous little cigar that I am highly impressed with. It is solidly built and firm to the touch. The pre-light smell of the RP was heavy, and exceedingly rich. My brother sat on our porch and had one with me. The initial draw was smooth and gave off very thick smoke that surprised me since this is a petit corona. The flavor of this cigar is immense, a densely packed bomb of some of the richest tobacco I’ve had the pleasure of tasting. The smoke left a heavy taste on my palate that reminded me of shifting my hands through rich soil or burning cured cedar in the fire. The ash of this smoke has been, and continues to be one of its most impressive features. The ash remains packed tightly on the tip of the cigar and a bright cone of burning tobacco filler could be seen through the ash which was colored a mix of gray and deep white. The cigar held the ash for almost half its length before it began to lean a little and I decided to knock it off. All in all this has to be one of the most rewarding everyday cigars that is currently on the market.

1026159f.jpg

The La Aurora 1903 Platinum tubo came in a gift pack of five cigars. It is the first time I’ve had the pleasure of smoking a La Aurora. The cigar is presented elegantly in a platinum tube. The cigar shape is truly old school and the smell of the cigar pre-light was an alluring mix of sweet vanilla with hints of subdued minerals. The cigar lit and drew well throughout the smoke. The delicate flavors that the smoke carried were superbly balanced and did not overwhelm the palate, but remained consistently good throughout. The cigar did suffer from a very weak ash that only hung loosely from the tip of the cigar for a few puffs before falling away (into my freaking shirt!). The smoke lasted a good hour and I highly recommend it to any one who can afford it as a cigar with flavor and balance on the level of the Pardon 1926 series.

The Oliva Master Blends 2 robusto is one of the most well presented cigars that I have smoked. The band is colorful and unique and is shaped to fit perfectly just above the laser edged symbol that is the calling card of this fine cigar. The wrapper is light brown in color with thin veins of white running through out the cigar.

opus056.jpg

The pre-light smell to the cigar was very light compared to many other smokes. The cigar had a minor draw problem in the first part of the smoke (most likely user error on my part) but quickly gained a smooth consistency that stayed with it till the end. The taste of the cigar is very balanced and not at all over powering. A good scotch would complement the flavor profile of this cigar as the Budweiser I had with mine made it a bit too muddled to have any one flavor shine through. All and all the OMB 2 was a very fine smoke that should only improve with some age in the humidor and some experience on the part of the smoker.

This is a nicely put set of smoking observations. I can agree that the RP's have a great ash and full smoke. For the price it is a nice stick. Now, I have wondered, when you reached the laser mark on the Oliva, did it affect the burn at all? Just a curiosity.

This is a nicely put set of smoking observations. I can agree that the RP's have a great ash and full smoke. For the price it is a nice stick. Now, I have wondered, when you reached the laser mark on the Oliva, did it affect the burn at all? Just a curiosity.
I have seen laser marks and wondered the same, also very good review!

I have seen laser marks and wondered the same, also very good review!

No problems what so ever. I think the laser is more to do with the color of the cigar (like a laser printer) verses a heat/light laser you'd see in star wars.