• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Smoking in the rain

ImSmokingAgain

I was faced with a couple of problems today, in N.Y.C we caught a bit of tropical storm Ernesto and it has been raining for two days. The wife does not let me smoke in the APT and needing my nicotine kick, I knew I would be battling MR Ernesto face to face. I went to my humidor and picked out the stick I would be sacrificing to the Cigar gods, it was an AVO Pyramides.

DSC_0024.jpg

I do not know allot about cigars and that’s one of the reasons I am on this board, but to me this cigar was very beautiful and I was glad for it to be my partner in the rain. The AVO had a very nice light colored smooth wrapper with no veins it is rather large at 7 x 36/54. I cut the AVO and put it in my pocket. I put on my gore-tex Nikes, took my large umbrella and grabbed a lighter and a book of wooden matches. As I was heading out the door I noticed my Jack Russell Terrier, he looked like he wanted to come with me and I entertained the idea for a moment, but thought it would be better to leave him home "sorry Milo, maybe on a nicer day". I headed down the elevator and to the glass front door, outside It was dark and I saw the trees swaying in the wind and rivers of puddles rippling as the raindrops fell into them. I crossed the street and claimed a bench as my own.

DSC_0005.jpg

As I sat down I scanned the vicinity to see if anyone else was around, no one was. From my seat I had a good view of the Verazzano Bridge.

DSC_0008.jpg

I hunkered down under my large umbrella and tried to light the Avo with the wooden matches, it wasn’t going to happen. The wind kept blowing it out so I decided to use the lighter, I had a Bic "yuck". I finally got the Avo lit and started puffing away. My pallet at this stage is not very good, I have cigars I like and some that I don’t. I really don’t know why but some just do not taste good to me. This one I liked. It was of medium body I would say and it was very creamy and not harsh, to me it tasted like tobacco and that was the only flavor I could discern. As I sat there enjoying my cigar every now and again a person walking a dog or two would come by, they would walk by and never make eye contact or say hello, New Yorkers being New Yorkers I guess. Some would cross the street, I am 300lbs and I guess I did look little nuts under an umbrella puffing away. The lengths some of us will go to enjoy the leaf. one older lady wearing a yellow raincoat and walking a pug let him Poop right in front of me, she did not pick it up and that kind of pissed me off, I had to move ten feet downwind of the poop. About halfway through the smoke I heard a sweet little voice and turned around to see my wife coming over, she was under an umbrella and holding a cup of Starbucks, I guess she felt bad she made me sit in the rain to enjoy my smoke and wanted to see how I was doing, she handed me the cup gave me a kiss and ran back home. The coffee warmed me up. As I got to the last 1/3 I started to zone out the pounding rain and the gushing wind and the cold and as my mind wandered I thought about my troubles and for that moment they seemed a little easier to bear. As I stood up I threw the cigar into a puddle and heard a loud pffft as the tip hit the water. I guess the rain had enough of me as well as it turned from a downpour to a drizzle. I was a little more wet than I would have liked maybe I should have chosen a robusto. I took one last look at the bridge and said goodbye to Ernesto and headed home. Even though my pallet is not very developed the cigars themselves give me an experience that I cannot get anywhere else, almost like a small time to meditate. I hope one day I do taste the hazelnut, chocolate, cake-mix and wintergreen but if I don't I still find cigars very rewarding. There was a reason I took the AVO and not the Opus-X I do not think I could taste a difference :( , one day I will find out, but for now the actual enjoyment I get from my cigars is the time I get to spend with myself and the experience that I have while smoking them and today’s experience will be with me for a while. It is not every day you get to venture into a tropical storm for a Cigar.

Edit spelling

Cool review. I like the pics. The things we do to get a puff. :)

I must say bro... That's a helluva review!!! :thumbs: Thanks for the pics!!!
I must say, I can relate with you about the unrefined pallete. Mine is getting a little better, but still not up to par with most... YET!!! ;)

Thanks again for that!!!

Nice review and excellent pictures. Myself I have problems lighting a cigar with a bic even with the slightest wind.

great review, i felt like i was there!

and you have a great wife, wifey wouldn't do that for me, she's to disgusted of the smell.
heck, she gives me a hard time if i ask her to bring me lunch while im at work!

but yea great review, keep puffing and maybe bring a notepad to write down what YOU think you're tasting. its fun! or at least i think so lol.

Incredible tale of courage in the eyes of dispair in this crazy world. I just told my wife if she thinks I'm going I'm going to smoke with Ernesto, she's crazy. Now my basement is the smoke den. I win!

Excellent, enjoyed your story and the illustrations.
I especially liked the part "I am 300lbs and I guess I did look little nuts under an umbrella puffing away." You should have added "scary"

Now that's what I call a loving wife. Instead of bitching that you are smoking a cigar, she is more concerned that you have somnething warm to comfort you. I am happy (and very fortunate) to say, that is exactly what my wife would do.

Brian

Nice review. Luckily I got to clean the garage yesterday so while I saw plenty of rain I stayed pretty dry and got to hit some sticks too. :)

Awesome review, exceptional pictures!!!! I smoke a lot of cigars and they taste like cigars, so you are not alone. Enjoy the cigars, the moment and tranquility. Life is good!!! Some how these words always come to mind when smoking a cigar.

Nicely done, ISA. Nicely done. :thumbs:

You must have experience in writing and/or photography. Am I right? What a haunting street photo!

BTW, I think this is worthy of moving to the Reviews forum. It will stay up longer and be there when people go looking for it. How 'bout it, Rod?

Wilkey

Loved you story and review, you have a good woman there, she's a keeper. As far as flavor nuances, i believe that is that is ruled more by imagination than taste. :laugh: :cool:

Great Review and Pics. Not only are we both from BK we are actually neighbors. Where in Bay Ridge are you? Looks like Shore and 90s to me :)

I would know what that cigar is like, however stevehawk rooked me out of the only one I had at the BBQ herf... The day after he took me in poker. YES i am still bitter over the poker game.. hehe

Great Review and Pics. Not only are we both from BK we are actually neighbors. Where in Bay Ridge are you? Looks like Shore and 90s to me

Yes, 93rd and Shore. Thanks for all of the nice comments guys.

There was a reason I took the AVO and not the Opus-X I do not think I could taste a difference :( , one day I will find out, but for now the actual enjoyment I get from my cigars is the time I get to spend with myself and the experience that I have while smoking them and today’s experience will be with me for a while. It is not every day you get to venture into a tropical storm for a Cigar.

Sometimes that's the better part of any cigar. Good job :thumbs:

Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do...been there!

Nice review :thumbs: