• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Lighters

Flashbulb

I know there are probably many people around here that exclusively use matches; but I smoke outside, and matches aren’t always the best option. I’m looking for a pipe lighter so I can stop using the stick lighter I use to light my grill (you know those ignition things are always the first things to break.)
I’m looking at the Colibri Tuckerman or maybe one of the “old style” Nibo lighters. I’m open to suggestions on others; just wondering what the opinions of others are. For instance, I've heard Zippo's leave an awful taste in your mouth. Some people, I'm sure, swear by them sine they've stayed in production this long.
My B&M options are limited here (partly due to my decision never to go back to Tinder Box again,) so online references would be appreciated as well.

-Flashbulb

I don't know much about lighters, I use matches. But I can point you towards one of my favorite pipe buying site. Just browsing the pipes is a days worth of enjoyment.

www.pipesandcigars.com

And someone on these boards recommended:

www.iwanries.com

I use a Prometheus Barron. Angled soft flame and a tamper. I think they're about $50 or so.

If you want to buy a lighter and never have to replace it, go for an Old Boy. If you want to continually buy lighters, get the Colibri. I bought the Tuckerman awhile back and it lasted a whole week before crapping out.

Incidently, if you decide on a Zippo pipe lighter, let the flame burn for a few seconds and you will have no imparted naptha taste.

edited for Colibri comment

Zippo has a new fuel that pretty much eliminates the smell most people still associate with the original formula (Cup O' Joes has some). Haven't used it yet, but will probably be buying some in the near future based on all the positive feedback I've been reading.

Ditto Rob's info about the new fuel. You can likely find a Zippo locally for cheaper than online and if you return it to Zippo with a request, they will replace the standard insert with a pipe insert at no charge.

Old Boy's are wonderful lighters, but not so good outdoors if there's any air moving.

Zippo :thumbs: And for fuel go to the hardware or camping store and pick up a can of Coleman camp fuel. No taste and less than $5.00 a gallon. Yes I use it all the time and wouldn't use anything else in my Zippo.
I have to post about the Old Boy. I bought one over a year ago, it's been back for repairs twice(both times over 3 months gettin it back) and it needs repair again. I'v been told the problem is the rubber o rings and the new ones have silicone o rings so that may fix the problem.
I should also say that my lighters get a workout, 3-5 cigars a day, same number of pipes and about a half a pack of cigs every day. So your mileage may vary if you smoke less or more. :whistling: