• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

1400 post contest

Smokyballs

The nap master
Ok gang, this is officially my 1400th post and in honor of the nasty Acid 1400cc I thought I would have a little contest. I want your true story of your worst experience of smoking a cigar and your best experience of smoking a cigar(The stories may be funny, sad or both. Humor and a sense of reality will be heavily scored)! You must have both, they must be detailed and consist of at least three sentences for each experience!(If you think you have a story that is to graphic for CP you may also send it to me via PM. I will provide these stories to anyone per request at the end of the contest. If I chose one of these I will post it edited so everyone can read it) I will be the sole judge of this contest. The prize will be awarded for the one person that has the very best of both. Only one post per person so take your time and do it right the first time(that means no editing, use you spell check because I will be taking points off for bad grammar and spelling!) . The contest will runs next Sunday July 22nd.

The prize, oh the prize, one for the record books! Half a box of Cuesta-Rey #9 Stanfords cameroon reserve from '05, a Outlaw Bad to the Bone tour pack, a five pack of Cohiba Lanceros from '99, a large assortment pack of Padron 1926s and 1964s, a large assortment of Pepin products(Tat, Padilla, Pepin and 601 maduro), and if you can make it to KC (your expense) August 24th-25th I will buy your dinner with Litto Gomez (along with a box of the custom cigars he is making us for the event)!!! I will send you the box of cigars if you can't make the event (you're shit out of luck on the dinner!).

Good luck!!!

Wow, Brad -- what a prize package!! If I entered and won, I would have to buy another humidor just for the winnings! :thumbs:

Ok gang, this is officially my 1400th post and in honor of the nasty Acid 1400cc I thought I would have a little contest. I want your true story of your worst experience of smoking a cigar and your best experience of smoking a cigar(The stories may be funny, sad or both. Humor and a sense of reality will be heavily scored)! You must have both, they must be detailed and consist of at least three sentences for each experience!(If you think you have a story that is to graphic for CP you may also send it to me via PM. I will provide these stories to anyone per request at the end of the contest. If I chose one of these I will post it edited so everyone can read it) I will be the sole judge of this contest. The prize will be awarded for the one person that has the very best of both. Only one post per person so take your time and do it right the first time(that means no editing, use you spell check because I will be taking points off for bad grammar and spelling!) . The contest will runs next Sunday July 22nd.

The prize, oh the prize, one for the record books! Half a box of Cuesta-Rey #9 Stanfords cameroon reserve from '05, a Outlaw Bad to the Bone tour pack, a five pack of Cohiba Lanceros from '99, a large assortment pack of Padron 1926s and 1964s, a large assortment of Pepin products(Tat, Padilla, Pepin and 601 maduro), and if you can make it to KC (your expense) August 24th-25th I will buy your dinner with Litto Gomez (along with a box of the custom cigars he is making us for the event)!!! I will send you the box of cigars if you can't make the event (you're shit out of luck on the dinner!).

Good luck!!!
I guess i'll have to put on the thinking hat. Nice price! :thumbs: :love:

In what is considered the last action of the Vietnam War the SS Mayaguez was on its way from Hong Kong to Sattahip in Thailand, when, on May 12, it was intercepted and seized by the Khmer Rouge Navy. A rescue operation consisting of Joint Navy, Air Force and Marine forces was gathered together to retake the ship and rescue the crew. 288 marines from BLT 2 and 9 (mostly G/2/9 and D/1/4) and 50 Air Force Security loaded up into 11 CH-53's to perform the rescue.

Things were different back then, everybody was smokin' and jokin' about landing on what we were told was a Cambodian Army rest station. Even with the numerous air leaks and outright holes in a Sea Stallion helicopter there was a fog of cigarette and cigar smoke inside. Myself and the platoon sergeant had our packs of Robert Burns out for anyone who wanted one. I think they were 20 or 25 cents a 5 pack back then at the PX, much more expensive then cigarettes at 15 cents a pack.

At about 15 minutes from the landing zone (LZ) the smoking lamp went out and we got ready to do our thing. Back then we had the old ceramic plate body armor which had the vest that everybody knows about and the diaper that nobody talks about. Now the diaper might well be a great idea but you can not move very fast at all wearing it, Certainly not fast enough to try an avoid being shot running out of the chopper going into a defensive posture. Now I had seen these once before stacked up in the supply room once but never had occasion to wear one, nor did I want too. So what we did was sit on them to prevent getting shot in the ass by small arms on the way down to the LZ.

Things did not go well, out of the 11 choppers with over 300 men on them only about 120 of us actually made it onto the island. Instead of the 30-40 "resting" Khmer Rouge there were 200 or so fresh from the mainland of Cambodia and they did not like us landing on their island. What should have been a "Gilligan's Island" (a short easy job lasting less then half a day...you know, a 3 hour tour), ended up lasting 15 hours as the east and west landing forces fought to link up and defend themselves. Because of the size of the island, the closeness of the forces and that we thought the crew of the Mayaguez was on the island somewhere, close air support was not used. Once the crew was returned from the mainland then the fireworks really started. Even though they were taking fire from F4's OV10's, Puff and whatever else in the area that could throw bullets the Cambodians still managed to fight down the choppers sent in to extract us at least two times.

Finally, after dark we were ordered to break contact, fall back, dig in and make ourselves as small as possible. The reason being is that a C-130 with a "Daisy Cutter" bomb was coming in to open up a LZ we could get to and shock the enemy. A Daisy Cutter is so big it isn't dropped like a regular bomb but pushed out the back end of a cargo plane. It is so big that the minimum safe distance from detonation is 600 yards. This is not a precision guided munition we are talking about and they were hoping for 400-500 yards clearance for us. All well and good but we were about 300 yards away when the ground actually rolled like a wave coming at us. Needless to say it worked, the LZ was created, the enemy were shocked into silence and we got extracted.

Now for the whole point of this story, in my pocket amongst 3 other crumpled and bent and broken cigars was a lone surviving Robert Burns. I took it out got my K-Bar out and cut it in half for the guy next to me and enjoyed the best smoke I've had to date.

The worst had to be when I was in the P.I. circa 1978. I was usually smoking whatever the Subic PX had but after a particularly long weekend of debauchery I was out and bought some Flor de Filipinas at the local market. God know how long they had been there sitting in 110 degree 90+ % humidity and heat, just waiting in their little box for me to come along. As I was still pretty hung over I didn't really notice anything wrong (or right for that matter) with the first one out of the box. Ahh, but the second one later that day was another story. Upon lighting it the "popcorn effect" immediately was noticed. So here I am in this semi-dark bar, San Miguel in hand cigar in my mouth looking down at the end of it wondering WTF is going on and I swear I can see little bit of ash puff out of the end of the stick as the beetles super heat and explode. Between that, the hangover, a bad Miguel and the dog-on-a-stick I lost it and I haven't felt that bad in quite some time.

Thanks for letting me play.

Mercy Brad!! What a deal.

This'll be fun to see how it all plays out. Gonna be some good stories for sure.

Thanks!!

:cool:

Wow! Pretty Awesome contest Brad, there should be some interesting stories

This is my worst experience :laugh:

Back in early May, Phil (Insight) bombed me during the war, and in his bomb, he graciously sent me a White Owl Watermelon cigar (if you can call it that....looked more like a long cigarette). He and I were talking in the chat room one night and he told me that he's sent out about 50 of these and didn't think anyone had smoked one. So, because he was so generous in leading Cigar Draft Numero Dos, I thought I would repay him by doing a review on this cigar. Not sure how much age it has one it, but I know I've had it for 2 months now.
Here it is in all it's glory in the cello.

wo001.jpg

As you can see, meticulous care was used in making this nearly flawlessly constructed cigar
wo002.jpg

White Owl was kind enough to provide a small hole in the end where I didn't need to clip it. I bypassed toasting the end and just put a flame to it.
wo003.jpg

No prelight draw here. I took the first draw and it tasted like the wrapper had been covered with sugar it was that sweet.
wo004.jpg

There wasn't a whole lot of watermelon taste to the cigar. It had a very harsh tobacco taste without much flavor. It burned fairly well with the ash falling of at about 1 1/2 inches.
wo005.jpg

Nice white and grey ash. This cigar never varied in taste at all. Still no hint of watermelon....must all be in the wrapper. It produce a fairly good amount of smoke and drew very well. It did leave a heavy burnt tobacco taste in my mouth. ( actually a very unpleasant aftertaste which I am still experiencing.
wo006.jpg

As I got 2/3 of the way in, the smoke became very hot and damn near unbearable. As you can see I was a good sport and tried to nub this one out.

All in all, it was well constructed, drew very well, produced a good deal of smoke, but had a very unpleasant aftertaste. This cigar would go very well with a bottle of Boone's Farm from your local convenience store. Thanks Phil for this wonderful experience :rolleyes: .

Now, don't any of you get the bright idea of sending me anything like this, because I WILL NOT review it. :laugh: . Now Phil, you owe me a review on the Groovy Blue Tatiana I sent to you! :laugh:

My best experience was the first time I took my 9 year old son into my local B&M. He asked me when we went into the humidor if he could pick out a cigar for me. I told him he could, and after going over ever box they had he picked out a Padron 2000 for me because he knew that the Padron '26's are my favorite. He was so excited about being able to pick out my cigar, that's all he wanted to talk about. He kept smelling it and telling me how good it was going to be when I smoked it as we drove home. We got home and I didn't get to go inside to house. He wanted to know if I was going to smoke "his" cigar. We sat down in the carport in some chairs and I fired it up. I don't think he took his eyes off of it the whole time I smoked it. He would keep asking if it was good and how it tasted and even asked me to blow a little smoke his way so he could smell it. When my wife got home, all he wanted to talk about was that Daddy let him pick out a cigar and it was the best one he's ever had. Just seeing the enjoyment my son had with this by far made it the most enjoyable cigar I've ever smoked. A little Father and son time together outside enjoying a cigar together.

My worst cigar experience would be:
Back in 1988 I brought myself a box of Punch Habana's. Back then they were only Au$50 a box, now I can not even imagine being able to afford a box. Anyway I drove an old Chrysler by Chrysler back then which had a lockable glove box, so that is where I kept my cigars...In the hot Aussie summers.... :whistling:
I went for a ride on my old Triumph one weekend and unfortunately lost control on a bend, and rode into a concrete dividing strip. Ended up with my handlebars sticking through my guts into what was left of my liver. Spent three months in Hospital getting over the damage I had inflicted on myself.
Meanwhile my car and the box of cigars were sitting locked up in the hot dry Aussie summer.
The day I got out of hospital I pulled a smoke out and sparked it up, only to be treated to the most dried out horrible smoke I had ever had.
It was bad, real bad.
Being as I am a pigheaded little shit I refused to chuck them and smoked the whole lot over the next two months.
Took me years to go near another cigar after I finished them.

My best cigar experience would have to be:
The bombs I got of Moki and atuck. They came 24 hours apart, and man I gotta tell ya I was shocked. How could these two guy's who did not even know me send me these cigars. Not just any old sticks, oh no, they had to destroy every cigar I had ever smoked. The pleasure I have had smoking them has been indescribable, not just because of the flavors and quality of the cigars, but the friendship and giving they showed me.

My worst cigar experience was as a young lad of 14 years. My father had received a big honking "Its a boy!" Dutch Master cigar at work and not being a cigar smoker, he chucked it up on his dresser and forgot about it (long enough for it to dry completely out). I being a curious little shit decided that he wouldn't notice it missing anyway and stole it.

Then I made one of the biggest mistakes of my life... I snuck out into the woods behind our house and to smoke it.

Having never smoked anything before but having watched my Dad smoke his cigarettes all the time, I put the end with the V cut into my mouth and lit the other end with a match.

And I started to inhale...

The next thing I remember, was waking up with a knot on my head from passing out and smacking my noggin into a tree, puke on my shirt, and being the dizziest I've ever been in my life. It took me a good 45 mins to crawl back into our yard while dry heaving the whole way.

My Dad found me laying face down in front of the back door and once he was able to get me coherent enough to tell him what was wrong he laughed his ass off and carried me inside, pulled my filthy clothes off me and put me to bed.

No mention of my mistake was ever made to my Mom and he never gave me a hard time about it :thumbs:

I still to this day think thats the sickest I've ever been.

The best cigar experience I've had to date... its very hard to say, in my opinion every minute of a beautiful day spent enjoying a fine cigar with a good friend is a "Best Cigar Experience" so I'll just have to pick the first time Double D and I had a chance to smoke a stick after he came back from Kansas City and we both knew his daughter was going to be OK. I think we both really enjoyed our cigars and scotch that day.

Thanks for the trip back down memory lane Brad. :cool:

My best experience with a cigar may perhaps be one of the worst experiences of my life. A few years ago I was on a snowboard trip to the Kitzsteinhorn in Austria I had been teaching snowboarding for 4 days and the last day was mine.

So I had been riding all day out of bounds cliff jumping and such on my last run for the day I decided to go down under the lift to the middle station. This was clearly marked out of bounds due to cliffs avalanche Etc but I figured no problem I had done it before. About half way down I had an asthma attack I have horrible lungs old injury so I stopped to get my inhaler and realized the powder was higher than my head.

I climbed up on a nearby rock and realized I had broke my bindings I was not getting down no board and impossible to walk and the lift was shutting down so I could not wave for help. So I took my pack off and dug out the cell phone called ski patrol for help they told me it might take 8 hrs to get to me in the process of looking for phone I found an unbanded stick. I lit up the stick and checked the minutes on my phone I had enough to call my wife one time. So I kicked back on the rock in the cold and watched the sun setting in the Mountains thinking about how that phone call would go. I realized what a beautiful view I had I could even see the lift station far below and the sun glinting off of the building as it set.

At that moment I decided I was just going to enjoy my last cigar and not worry about the night I was almost done when two crazy Australians came barreling down towards me trying to beat it to the last lift down the mountain. These two nuts rigged my bindings with some parts they had and got me down they were so drunk it was hilarious but the two of them probably saved my life. I never had to make that last call but that cigar was probably the best I ever had and I do not even know what it was. It is interesting how when you think you are doing something for the last time it makes it so much better.

As for the worst stick any time I can find to smoke a cigar and truly enjoy it is a great stick regardless of what it is. All the times I have had to rush through a stick those are the worst.

any stick smoked with good friends or new friends qualifies as a best time as well. The time I spent in KC would qualify a story all by itself but when I think back the story above is probably my best.

Not sure why this happened. ???

The best experience I've ever had is easy. It was the very first time I sat down for a smoke with my dad. I had a buddy that turned me on to cigars many years ago. My dad had only smoked cheap cigars like the rest of us before we found out that all cigars were not created equal. That first day we sat together fishing, sharing some quality sticks I brought and spending the day together was a memory that will stay with me forever. I can't remember what we smoked but it was by far the best cigar I've ever had. If by some freak chance I win, I'll PM his addy so you can send the sticks to him.

My worst experience is harder as I have had many. One time I was driving my truck and flicked an ash out of the window. I have done this hundreds of times and usually without incident. This particular time the ash and cherry fly back into the jeep, beyond the back seat , and into the back back where it lit the carpet on fire. This also would not be too much of an issue but the carpet in my Jeep is full of dog hair and various fishing bait spills which has a wonderful pungent odor when lit. Noticing this I lean back over the seat to try and put the fire out completely forgetting I am on the highway doing around 80. By the time I realize I messed up my feet were off the pedals and I am stretched across the truck. Luckily I just spun out, nearly defiled myself, and sat on the side of the road and finished my cigar.

Don't have great stories but if your generous enough to offer up such a great prize, I will at least give it a whirl!

BEST I guess my best experience had to be one of the "Backwoods" I smoked with my old pal Marvin while out in the woods rabbit hunting. The last year Marvin was able to hunt with us he and I had several special cigars and I don't think an OpusX could have made the experience any better.

WORST Smoked a Tat Reserva J21 a couple months ago on a morning I thought couldn't be beat. No breakfast, half a pot of coffee, and an hour later I had managed to ruin the morning and the afternoon!