• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Super Absorbent Polymers

Mark Twain

Call me Ishmael.
This thread is for informational purposes and I will try to answer some basic questions about Super Absorbent Polymers and the Hydra humidification system which is an alternative to the cigar oasis. There's alot of information out there and several people have already posted on this topic. I hope to include as much information as possible in one thread.

Previous threads on the subject:
Wascal 2003
Atuck 2005

Q. What are Super Absorbent Polymers?
A. Super Absorbent Polymers or SAPs are crystals that expand and form a jelly like substance when they come into contact with water. Their ability to absorb water is phenomenal. SAPs expand as they absorb moisture to several times their original diameter.

Q. Are Super Absorbent Polymers like Humidification Beads?
A. No. Beads have a set humidification point. SAPs do not. Beads are designed to regulate humidity, while SAPs continue to give off moisture all the time.

Q. Why would I want to mess with this stuff if it’s not as simple to use as Beads?
A. The ideal usage for SAPs is as an alternative for floral foam. Foam tends to wear out and it can become quite expensive to buy replacement cartridges. SAPs do not wear out. They retain more moisture than the typical floral foam that comes prepackaged in a hydra or cigar oasis cartridge. SAPs are cheap and a small amount will last you a lifetime.

Q. Do I have to have a Cigar Oasis or a Hydra to use SAPs in my humidor?
A. The simple answer is yes. SAPs can be used in travel humidors as a substitute for floral foam, but it is not recommend that you use them in your humidor. The reason why SAPs work so well in conjunction with a Cigar Oasis or Hydra is because both of these devices require active electronic humidification to work. (i.e. a fan must turn to spread and regulate humidity).

Q. Mold was a constant issue in my floral foam cartridge. Will this solve the problem?
A. Not on its own. SAPs are just as prone to mold growth as the floral foam, but it is much easier to control and monitor. Every so often, add a cap full of 100 proof vodka to prevent mold growth. PG solution will work as well.

Q. How often will I have to refill SAPs?
A. SAPs hold much more moisture than typical floral foam found in your cartridge. Most people use a spray bottle when they need to re-hydrate them.

Q. Can I use tap water with SAPs?
A. Possibly, but it’s recommended to use distilled water

Q. Where can I get Super Absorbent Polymers?
A. A company called Watersorb currently sells SAPs. The minimum order is 2 pounds for $18 shipped via USPS priority mail.

Q. What amount of SAPs do I need to fill a cartridge?
A. Very little. SAPs expand massively. A little over a standard tablespoon of hydrated SAPs should be more than enough to fill a cartridge.

Pictorial of the process.

opus944.jpg

You will need:
Distilled water
SAPs
A measuring cup
A mixing container

First, wash everything. Try not to handle the SAPs with your hands as you don’t want to contaminate them and be the source of a mold outbreak. Measure out a small amount of SAPs, no more than a tablespoon or two into your container.

opus945.jpg

Add about 1 cup of distilled water to start.

opus946.jpg

The above picture shows SAPs first introduced to water.

opus948.jpg

The above picture shows SAPs after 30 minutes submerged in distilled water. I slowly added more distilled water until I had poured a total of two cups into the bowl.

opus949.jpg

The above picture shows SAPs hydrated for about 4 hours. They are now ready to go into the hydra cartridge.

opus950.jpg

Remove the floral foam with a knife. This took me under five minutes. After you have removed all the foam wash out the cartridge with hot soapy water and let sit until dry. Check the inside to make sure no foam remains. WARNING: Removing the floral foam from your hydra will most likely void the warranty. If something breaks on your unit, then it maybe smart to order a replacement foam cartridge for $12 to ship with the unit so you don’t void the warranty.

opus953.jpg

I used a spoon and added the hydrated SAPs to the cartridge. I had to pack them in toward the end so all of them could fit. *Quarter and knife used for scale.

opus954.jpg

This was very simple to do. This is a low cost and low maintenance way to augment your hydra humidification system.

* Hydra review to follow.

This is cheaper... and it's the same polymer. I bought 5#'s for 19.95

I have lots of it...a little goes a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong way.

Is this the same stuff I use for my hanging flower baskets in the summer?

Read your article it seems like it could be

Gel can often be found in you local craft/floral store in much smaller quantities.

Great article, Marc! Really a very well thought out and informative post.

The only thing I can add is that superabsorbent polymers are a class of materials found in many products. In fact, diapers (from infant models to adult incontinence underpants) are filled with this stuff which is typically cross-linked polyvinylacrylate/pv-alcohol/cellulose. Just for fun, I've held a diaper under the tap to see how much water it can hold and was amazed. When I tore open the full diaper, it was brimming with swollen, jelly-like beads of the SAP. Recently, a diaper had fallen into the laundry pile and I washed it along with the baby clothse. Of course the thing broke open and the clothes and washing machine were littered with the little beads. :D

Wilkey

Thank you gentlemen for the added information. It is very helpful. If anyone wants to try a sample of SAPs, shoot me an email.

Thanks for the info.... but are you sure you didn't get the pics mixed up of when you were making rock candy?

"Every so often, add a cap full of 100 proof vodka to prevent mold growth."

How often do I need to drink the Stolis? And a cap full sounds a bit stingy to my way of thinking! :D

Thanks for the info!

If anyone has any extra they want to sell let me know. I have a small Hydra and wouldnt mind making the conversion.