• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How I set up my cooler-dor!

souldog

OG Post-Whorer since 2008 bitches...
So this is my first cooler-dor (or coolidor, I don't friggin' know...) that I've set up, and special thanks to Actin4Life for PIFing some spanish cedar to me for it! :thumbs: A standup BOTL to be sure. I have a 100 qt. Igloo cooler I got from Wally World for approximately $70 bucks. I recommend Wal-Mart this time of year as they are having sales on coolers and have a good amount in stock. The cooler has a good seal, and by the size, I feel it is a nice starter cooler.

Here is the cooler with just the dish of beads (which has since been moved):
S5001025.jpg

First, I made my measurements for shelving, as my cooler has two slots built in the walls, making the shelving problem quite simple. I took the pieces of spanish cedar and measured twice, cutting once, according to how I wanted to set it up. The cedar is only 1/4 in. thick, so it doesn't take up alot of space in my opinion:
S5001022.jpg

After I cut my cedar, I labeled them according to where I was planning to put them, and sanded them down to remove alot of the sap and dirt on the surfaces. I cleaned them off with a lightly dampened rag, and here they are:
S5001023.jpg

Next, I purchased double sided mounting tape, and cut squares, placing them in the four corners of the peice of wood. A good piece of advice would be to "test" your setup, meaning put all the pieces of wood in place prior to fastening them down, so you know what works and what doesn't. Hopefully, if you did your measurements correctly, it all goes on smoothly:
S5001026.jpg

Finally, here is the finished product. She smells heavenly!:
S5001027.jpg

And, here she is filled up so far:
S5001028.jpg

Anyways, just thought I'd share my cooler, and put up some pics. Hopefully this helps, as it took me physically seeing another BOTLs cooler in order to make sure I was doing everything correct...

-Jonathan

Nice looking setup man! Now get to fillin that bad boy up!

Nice final setup :thumbs:

Looks like I know what my project will be for summer vacation...

Great job!

Very nice!!! I may need to get one of these going at the right I keep acquiring cigars. Nice Job!!

Jim

Cool setup.Where did you find the Oust fan?I have looked everywhere & can't find any.

Looks good, Jonathan. You'll need it for the 38.375!!!

Derek

Sweet. I cant wait to get my coolidor or wine-o-dor up and running this summer.

Nice man. I have my wife convinced that I need a wine-a-dor. I cant wait to get it all together.

Nice setup Jonathan. How much room is there between the edge of the shelves and the lid when the cooler is closed? It's a little hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks pretty snug. Are you planning on putting beads on each shelf (once it's full)? I've got a similar setup (much smaller cooler, one shelf), and I initially had my beads all on the bottom, and found that the RH varied between shelfs because they were almost sealed off from one another. The top shelf was 10% lower than the shelf where the beads were stored. I added some tubes of beads to the top shelf and all has been good since (probably also could have drilled holes in the shelves to allow the sections to breath). Just a thought.

Schweet!

That box of Sharks must have eaten all the other boxes :laugh: Better replace them, give that baby something to work on.

You don't need a fan IMO, it's too small, your beads will do the work just fine.

Hey Jonathan, I need some cabinetry done in my house, want to earn some cigar bucks? :whistling: This is the real deal though, not pieces for a coolidor.

Brian

So this is my first cooler-dor (or coolidor, I don't friggin' know...) that I've set up, and special thanks to Actin4Life for PIFing some spanish cedar to me for it! :thumbs: A standup BOTL to be sure. I have a 100 qt. Igloo cooler I got from Wally World for approximately $70 bucks. I recommend Wal-Mart this time of year as they are having sales on coolers and have a good amount in stock. The cooler has a good seal, and by the size, I feel it is a nice starter cooler.

Here is the cooler with just the dish of beads (which has since been moved):
S5001025.jpg

First, I made my measurements for shelving, as my cooler has two slots built in the walls, making the shelving problem quite simple. I took the pieces of spanish cedar and measured twice, cutting once, according to how I wanted to set it up. The cedar is only 1/4 in. thick, so it doesn't take up alot of space in my opinion:
S5001022.jpg

After I cut my cedar, I labeled them according to where I was planning to put them, and sanded them down to remove alot of the sap and dirt on the surfaces. I cleaned them off with a lightly dampened rag, and here they are:
S5001023.jpg

Next, I purchased double sided mounting tape, and cut squares, placing them in the four corners of the peice of wood. A good piece of advice would be to "test" your setup, meaning put all the pieces of wood in place prior to fastening them down, so you know what works and what doesn't. Hopefully, if you did your measurements correctly, it all goes on smoothly:
S5001026.jpg

Finally, here is the finished product. She smells heavenly!:
S5001027.jpg

And, here she is filled up so far:
S5001028.jpg

Anyways, just thought I'd share my cooler, and put up some pics. Hopefully this helps, as it took me physically seeing another BOTLs cooler in order to make sure I was doing everything correct...

-Jonathan
Dog
How many pounds of beads in that baby?

Looks great....you'll be amazed how fast it fills up.... :laugh:

One minor point; I've said it before and it's worth repeating - IMHO adding cedar lining sure looks nice, but it's really not necessary. It just occupies valuable storage space. Keep everything in boxes and there's no need for cedar panels in your cooler. When I had my four coolers up and running, I never lined any of them and the humidity control and storage conditions were perfect. The cedar boxes and beads will provide all the humidity ballast you will need.... :cool:

Cheers - B.B.S.

Irish- I like the idea of drilling the holes, and will probably do that next week when I have time.
I have gaps between the door and the shelving, that i made sure of, but I know what you're saying about circulation.

br174 - I've got I think, 2 1/2 pounds in there...

Brian- I'll prolly remove the fans, good input IMO. Aslo, I would LOVE to do cabinet work, but unfortunately the only tools I have is a skillsaw and a drill. I am be really into woodworking, and I love it, but don't have the tools to take on such a feat. If you had the tools, i'd do it for you in a second! I would like to work with wood again... it's so simple. Measure twice, cut once, and if you screw up, it is nobody's fault except yours!

Tom - Thanks for the advice, I may or may not change it up...it just SMELLS SO GOOD!!! :p

Nice work. That bowl full of loose beads would make me nervous. I've had to clean up spilled beads in my footlocker once before, it was not fun. Might want to look into a cheap tupperware container and punch some tiny holes in it or use pantyhose just to be on the safe side.

Good job. :thumbs:

I think putting holes to allow for better air movement is a good idea.

605480_thumbs_up_with_clipping_path[9].jpg

UPDATE:

Came home last night to all of my beads dry and white!!! :0

I am thinking it's the cedar sucking up all the moisture, so I soaked the beads again, and will see when I get home tonight...

I know it isn't the seal as I already had cigars in there for a few days without the addition of the shelving and it held fine...and it's not been hot, so I ruled that out...

I'll keep y'all updated. Thanks boys for the input. :thumbs: