• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

humidor in a refrigerator?

TGM_6

Just out of curiosity, what would happen if I put a humidor in my refrigerator for a few months? Would the cigars go bad if I kept a bunch of humidity beads with it? What issues would I be facing?

Even with the beads the cigars would become bone dry very quickly. Don't do it.

I'll assume you want to put it in the fridge to keep the temps down and that it would be on. That being the case as tugboat mentioned those cigars will dry out pretty quickly even if you have a damn good seal on it. The temps would be low but the condensor/auto defrost would suck the humidity out very quickly. Get a wine cooler or some blue ice packs to keep it down. There's been a few topics on this, if high temps is your issue.

What you could try is using a tupperdor with an airtight seal with beads in and put that in the fridge. I'd be sure to test it first before actually putting cigars in there. The traditional desktops don't have the proper seal to combat the excessively dry atmosphere created inside the normal household refrigerator.

If you have a dedicated fridge, all you'll need is a temperature controller (like the one home brewers use). With the controller you can set the temp you want and the fridge will turn on automatically and shut off when the desierd tem is reached. I have actually used this setup in the past with excellent results. Temp controllers can be found on line for around $75. Since the fridge is running for only a couple minutes at a time, humidity isn't affected much at all.

If you have a dedicated fridge, all you'll need is a temperature controller (like the one home brewers use). With the controller you can set the temp you want and the fridge will turn on automatically and shut off when the desierd tem is reached. I have actually used this setup in the past with excellent results. Temp controllers can be found on line for around $75. Since the fridge is running for only a couple minutes at a time, humidity isn't affected much at all.

Still a bad idea. The humidity may not be affected too much initially, but in the long run I wouldn't trust my cigars in a normal refrigerator even with a temp. controller. The only kind of refrigerated cigar storage I would consider would be along the lines of a vinotemp.

I still don't know if he intends the refrigerator to actually be plugged in.

And MiamiCubano brings up a good point to. We must have answers! ;)

What you could try is using a tupperdor with an airtight seal with beads in and put that in the fridge. I'd be sure to test it first before actually putting cigars in there. The traditional desktops don't have the proper seal to combat the excessively dry atmosphere created inside the normal household refrigerator.

Sorry, I would be using a fridge that stores my foods. A tupperdor seems like a good alternative rather than a humidor, and it is much cheaper. Being that the fridge messes up the humidity if the tupperdor is open, should I have it 100% sealed with no holes? Let's assume that the refrigerator is at a constant 40 degrees...

Just keep the smokes away from the lunch meat. Nothing worse than a smoke that resembles cured meats... :whistling:

mac

Mixing a DE-HUMIDIFIER and a HUMIDIFIER will not yield favorable results...

In my early/stupid days I kept some sticks in the fridge in a ziplock bag and some split or unravelled. I think a fridge is too cold and the temp shock (especially on a hot humid chicago day) was too much.

Where's Brandon when you need him? :laugh: He knows all about smokin' beef jerky. :sign:

Still a bad idea. The humidity may not be affected too much initially, but in the long run I wouldn't trust my cigars in a normal refrigerator even with a temp. controller. The only kind of refrigerated cigar storage I would consider would be along the lines of a vinotemp.

I still don't know if he intends the refrigerator to actually be plugged in.

And MiamiCubano brings up a good point to. We must have answers! ;)

That really depends on a variety of factors.

A compressor model fridge can work just fine if you monitor it carefully enough. Using something like a Ranco or Johnson control unit that kicks the fridge on at 65 and off at 60 can work. A hydra or some other form of active humidification, along with beads, can provide a stable environment for cigars that are kept in boxes. An extra fan or two can also help circulate humidity within the unit.

62% on the top. 70% near the bottom.

home08003.jpg