• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

I just had a baby boy! (questions followed)

Omskakas

Or my fiancee had. But it's mine too I guess. :)

I was smoking RyJ EL 2007 to celebrate (a fine smoke) and I had a thought.
I want to give an aged cigar for my son as a 18'th (legal age to smoke in here) birthday gift. I planned to buy some 2009 EL cubans and store them for 18 years and give one or few of them as a gift. And maybe smoke one with him.

My questions:
What do you think, if I buy few singles, will they be good and smokeable after 18 years? I have two humidors, one is traditional wooden box and other is just plastic box. Humidity is controlled by beads but temperature isn't.
Other option is to buy a box of ten of RyJ dukes and never open it until the day. It's bit costly if cigars are going to be ruined anyway.
Or should I buy some tubed cigars (not EL) and store them unopened and hope for the best?
What do you think?

Congratulations! My boy arrived 3 months ago and I still can't believe how blessed I've been.

Properly stored, the cigars should definitely be smokeable. Whether you'll enjoy them or not is a different story.

I think you should buy a box. If after 18 years you decide the cigar was one of the best you've ever had, how will you get more if you only bought a couple singles? Temperature isn't as critical of an issue if you remove the threat of beetles. Maybe you should freeze the cigars when you get them so you don't have to spend the next 18 years worried about a possible outbreak if the temperature swings too high?

My suggestion would be to buy a box of your favorite '09 cigar, freeze them, them put them in the humidor and forget about them until '27.

Congratulations on the birth of your son! It is a truly momentous occassion that should be marked in a special way. Glad to see that you did that.

I think it is a great idea and a fine sentiment to put away cigars to celebrate his 18th birthday. Whatever option you go with you will have to have a humidor, coolidor, vinotemp...basically something to store them in that you can regulate humidity and if need be temperature (depending on where you live).

Singles, either tubed or not could smoke fine in 18 years...it really depends on the cigar in question. ISOM LEs tend to have great aging potential. Typically I find that ISOMs are better suited for aging and DRs and NCs. Also the thicker ring guage cigars and ones with dark oily wrappers tend to age better, at least that is what I have learned.

If you don't see yourself purchasing a larger cigar storage solution, my recommendation would be to go with singles as a box of cigars would likely fill your humidor. If I was going to age cigars, it would be in a cedar linex box, not a plastic box, but that is just my personal preference. Humidity must be regualted, but if you live in particularly, hot, humid or dry climates, then you may want temperature control as well.

If it were me, the option from the selection you presented would be to get the 10 ct. box of RyJ Dukes. Sure they are expensive, but just look at the occassion you will be celebrating. Isn't it worth the expense. You might also want to get a nice vintage port to pair with the Dukes and open that in 18 years as well.

Great ideas! Thanks guys! I will buy a box but I haven't decided which. A bottle of port sounds great too.

Congratulations! My boy arrived 3 months ago and I still can't believe how blessed I've been.

Properly stored, the cigars should definitely be smokeable. Whether you'll enjoy them or not is a different story.

I think you should buy a box. If after 18 years you decide the cigar was one of the best you've ever had, how will you get more if you only bought a couple singles? Temperature isn't as critical of an issue if you remove the threat of beetles. Maybe you should freeze the cigars when you get them so you don't have to spend the next 18 years worried about a possible outbreak if the temperature swings too high?

My suggestion would be to buy a box of your favorite '09 cigar, freeze them, them put them in the humidor and forget about them until '27.

x2 on this suggestion.

Congratulations on the baby!

Congrats on the new baby! Great ideas on the cigars. When I had my first baby girl I purchased a bottle of Middleton Irish Whiskey. Hope to have a sip with her on her 21st B-day. I just have to keep the bottle out of site until then. Again congrats and know you must know It's not about you anymore.

Congratulations on the birth of your son!

I just have to say, that's a great idea with the cigars! Whichever route you decide on, good luck with them, and I hope that you and your son enjoy them in 18 years!

Hell, I don't have the patience to wait a week with a box of new smokes! good luck with aging a box for 18 years. On the off chance you're successful, my name is Trey, and I'll keep you updated on my whereabouts for the big day...

:laugh:

Congrats!

Trey