• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Jose L. Piedra Cremas

Kingantz

Growing too fast.
Fall back an hour this morning for the good ‘ol Daylight Savings Time. I’ve got to change what, about ten clocks around the house not including wrist watch and cars. But, before all that happens I’m burning down a JLP Cremas from March 07. JLP was, I believe, one of if not the first box/bundles I purchased. It was the Brevas and got them for $45, and remember grinning from ear to ear as I would light one thinking it was the best smoke I’d ever had. Boy my palate has changed a lot since then! :whistling: However, I do still enjoy these not just because they’re what, $2 maybe $3 a piece, but really decent smokes for my palate.

These are machine made of short filler, and I believe the wrapper hand finished. Looking in my box of these, there are varying colors to the wrapper leaves, and I pick out one that is slightly darker, chocolate colored. This particular stick has a patchwork of prominent veins throughout, noticeable oil, and as I squeeze the cigar it has a slight give except for right above the foot where there’s a bit of a hard spot. I punch the cap and find a perfect resistance in the draw with good, straightforward tobacco taste coming through.

After re-filling my Zippo and adjusting the flame, I set fire to the foot and take a few puffs, already enjoying the flavor of the smoke coming through. My first draw is that of a mild strength smoke with very little spice and a really good, sweet tobacco flavor. After several more draws, I am fairly certain the hard spot right above the foot is holding back the smoke as these are usually a medium in strength.

A third in and the cigar is burning sharp with a somewhat rough looking, dark gray ash forming that holds strong until tapped off in the ashtray. I was correct about the hard spot because once the burn got passed it, the draw opened up really well producing medium strength smoke with a perfect spice on the back of the tongue and throat. The flavors are really good, that of sweet cocoa, dark wood and a hint of cinnamon. Exhaling slowly, the finish is delicious, however doesn’t last very long on the palate.

Halfway and through the final third, the cigar was consistent in burn, strength, and flavor, all working well together to make for a really good morning smoke. When I first got these smokes in, they were not that great having a harsh, bitter taste, however after a couple years downtime they have really come around and are now smoking great. I’ve had several from this bundle and so far all have had a good draw. For the price, these are definitely good go to smokes for around the yard.

11-01-09JLPCremas001.jpg

11-01-09JLPCremas002.jpg

11-01-09JLPCremas003.jpg

Great review! When I can get them, the JLP Brevas are my go-to yardgar . . . always have one going while I mow the lawn. :thumbs:

Not only nice-tasting for the price, they don't seem to suffer much from the inevitable relights, and I get a kick out of a CC, even a short filler machine made CC, being my yardgar! :laugh:

~Boar

I too find these pretty darn good smokes, especially for the price. The brevas are pretty good too. I have a bundle of Cazadores that I haven't cracked open yet from '08. I am looking forward to trying them.

I discovered JLPs on my last trip to Cuba and can assure you it wasn't my last purchase of this brand.

I believe that the JLPs could be the best smoking deal in all of Cuba.

They certainly ARE NOT good when they are young. I gave mine away, as I do not have a lot of humidor space to play around with and they just sucked when fresh.

I lucked out when I bought a case of 25 of these early this summer, got some JUL07, they're not bad for what they are that's for sure.

I lucked out when I bought a case of 25 of these early this summer, got some JUL07, they're not bad for what they are that's for sure.

I has almost the same experience when I got mine. A great knock around smoke. While I've given many away, I've begun hoarding the last few I have because they turned out to be way better than I thought they would be given the price point. Just goes to show, price doesn't always indicate quality. :thumbs:

Nice review Greg!