• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Hello, I'm Gary and I like One Dimensional Cigars...

Do you smoke strong cigars only?

• Total voters

ironpeddler

Ye Old Newbie
I got to thinking (AGAIN!) as I've been reading about all the new releases coming out since the Cigar Show ended. Everywhere we go concerning cigars...websites, herfs, our local B&M, Industry shows...the hot topic seems to be complexity & strength in cigars. Are the two that closely tied together?

The more I read, the more I repeatedly notice the reviewers stating that a pre-release cigar from so-in-so 'starts out with notes of leather and pepper that changed into a dark roasted coffee & dried fruit taste in the second third and finished with stronger notes of cocoa and a more cedary taste as it flirted with a more robust profile...this cigar is extremely complex and not for the meek at heart'....and that reviewer liked these so-called taste changes and suggested that we buy them up ASAP.

Conversely, I then would read about a new release where a reviewer would state, 'this cigar looks very well made with a dark oily wrapper that had me drooling in anticipation'. They would go on to say, 'I was greeted with some wood notes that borders on maple with a slight mocha flavor as it started out, but the problem was it never changed throughout the rest of this medium bodied cigar, very one dimensional and it let me down as I expected more by just it's shear looks'. Now my issue is that the reviewer ended his opinion by saying, 'While it was a pleasant tasting cigar, it's lack of complexity & strength made me feel like I wouldn't buy any of these for my humidor'. That's where I have a problem with reviewers.

Having been a cigar smoker for quite some time, I have come to realize that I was not blessed with a refined pallet...because I don't taste the whole spice cabinet as some of you lucky fellows do. BUT, I do know what I like. I do know what a young cigar tastes like, I can pick up on the strength of a cigar, and I really know when a cigar tastes like sh*t.

Which brings me to one of my points...I VERY SELDOM LISTEN TO A CIGAR REVIEWER. Between rating sites, bloggers, and everyone else with a year or two of smoking cigars under their belts has an opinion on every new cigar that comes out....but my fear is that some of the newer people diving into this black hole passion of ours may be influenced by these self proclaimed aficionados. Again, the hot buttons seem to be strength and 'complexity'.

Like a movie, I like what I like and most times a movie reviewer is so far from my frame of mind that I seldom let them influence my going to see a certain flick. Once in a while they are right about some of them, but most times not. As for the cigars...there are more times than not that I don't want some cigar flavor bomb that changes 12 times as I smoke it, even if I could taste the changing nuances some of you guys talk about. I have always subscribed to the theory that as a cigar is smoked, the simple idea of drawing the smoke and nicotine towards the end we have in our mouths will most likely make it stronger as the cigar burns. I guess some call it 'changing in flavor', I don't tag it either way...it's just how a cigar is to me as it's smoked.

If I light a cigar and enjoy the initial taste and find it pleasing...and it doesn't change from that point on...I'm a VERY happy guy. Not to say that some cigars that start out a bit rough in the beginning and smooths out as it's puffed on 8 to 10 times, I still put that in the same category as 'One Dimensional' if it gets better and remains there. I find most Fuentes like that, say the Hemingway line, the 858 sungrowns, and most Anejos. Padron #000 series too. Case in point, I smoked an inexpensive lancero this morning, a Nestor Miranda Dominicano Rosado, that was divine while I drank my morning coffee. It started out good and never got overly powerful or bitter right to the end...and once again...I was a happy guy.

We obviously see how the market has made a turn towards more powerful cigars...and by some folk's standards, if you smoke anything but those, you're considered a pussy on the Cigar Forums....LOL. I read what you younger guys post here and I truly feel that some of you may be missing the point on this whole cigar/enjoyment thing at times. Some members write that unless the cigars they smoke are very powerful, they suck. Maybe I'm an old fart and don't get it, but I have seen many changes in both the Cuban and non-Cuban offerings over many, many years and this may be a trend (like countless others) that just has to run it's course. Now don't get me wrong, some of the manufacturers are putting out some great product in the stronger side of the tasting wheel and I do enjoy them from time to time...but as a steady diet...not for me because there is so much more out there to be smoked, tasted, and enjoyed that are not so powerful in taste that it numbs your tongue.

In closing, I guess what I'm saying is, because a cigar is 'One Dimensional' doesn't mean we should pass it up so quickly without a least trying one or until we find some reviewer or one of our buddies recommending some expensive cigar that is 'more complex'...sometimes all we want in a certain situation is just a nice pleasant tasting cigar that doesn't turn offensively strong that it makes me have to grab a Snickers bar to get me out of the clouds and back down on the ground!

What do you guys think about this phenomenon of the stronger/more complex cigars?

I don't mind one dimensional cigars if they are the right one dimension. Cigars like relatively young Opus, RyJ Caz, Parti shorts all come to mind. However I have to vote #2 because I mix it up a lot these days. I have recently been on a mild-medium kick that has been fantastic, lots of QdO and ERDM where I can find them.

I'm with ya, Gary. I don't mind one-dimensional, as long as the flavor is right. And while most know what I usually go to for a smoke, I'll smoke different cigars with varying strengths, depending on the mood I'm in.

I think most people learn not to rely on reviews. CA blather's on and on about this and that, and sometimes they can be spot on (generally on construction issues) and so I browse. But I wouldn't rely on their reviews or anyone's for that matter. Same with the reviews right here on CP. Some really capture the essence of a cigar, others might blast a good cigar because they didn't like the flavor. C'est live.

As for the strong vs. mild. I agree that some of them will become fad cigars and you'll see them on the pages of CI for 39 bucks a box. I think they have their place in my rotation (like on hot days or with certain beverages) but it would be a sad day when I only smoked one or the other. I'd say the same thing goes with the tendency over the last five years to make huge ring gauges. I don't really care for most because I think they are uncomfortable to smoke (I work with my hands and they are a pain to keep in my mouth) and I tend to like the dimension that the wrapper adds and I think you lose that in large gauge cigars. Most will go away and then the fad will change to something else (hopefully more lanceros!:laugh:). There are some fads I like. Short robustos come to mind. Regardless, I think that after smoking for a while people find what they like. I haven't talked to one person here who ever turned up there nose at a particular cigar because it isn't "in" or they read a bad review. I like that about this place. Lot's of variety and people willing to try new things. Guys newer to cigars will see their tastes and likes expand and change. That's really the fun of it after all.

Which brings me to one of my points...I VERY SELDOM LISTEN TO A CIGAR REVIEWER.

Like a movie, I like what I like and most times a movie reviewer is so far from my frame of mind that I seldom let them influence my going to see a certain flick.

What do you guys think about this phenomenon of the stronger/more complex cigars?

As many have stated, I too enjoy a various strengths cigars and feel that the enjoyment of the cigar is what really matters. I feel this is reflected in my choice of a smaller ring gauge and longer format over the current 6 x 60 trend that seems to flooding the market.

But I wanted to tackle the first statement listed above. Though I have been smoking for six years now, I know I am not and dare not call myself a seasoned smoker. As I state in my profile, I fell into the habit of smoking and searching for a single flavor profile and ignored the vast majority of cigars. Like most forms of media, it is up to the user to process the information that they have given you, further research the issue and hopefully you form your own conclusion. I personally follow a few reviewers and value their opinions on cigars. There are a ton of sticks out there and their opinions act as a pre-filter to my final selections at the local B&M. I do take the time to try randoms that they have not reviewed and but I do take their recommendations into account.

Oddly, I came to this philosophy through the same way I pre-judge movies. There are a number of "critics" on YouTube whom have similar tastes in movies as I do. Rather than listening to the thumbs. I would listen to their thoughts on the movie and knowing that we had similar tastes, I would then decide to see or not see the movie. I applied this to cigar reviewers/sites. I have narrowed down my reviewers to two whom share similar tastes and formats.

Agree with what's been posted; one dimensional smokes are great......as long as they are the right dimension.....;)

And, I do like variations in strength of the cigar, though honestly lately I've been leaning towards the really stout ones. All you other guys are wimps.....:p

I guess it depends on what people's definition of "one dimensional" is. I reviewed a cigar over New Years that had several flavors present but the taste didn't change throughout the cigar. I loved the flavors that I got and was glad the flavors didn't change. I didn't, and wouldn't, categorize that cigar or a cigar like it as one dimensional. I consider several flavors present in a cigar to give it multiple dimensions, and thus, complexity. But that isn't required for me to enjoy a cigar. Some days two scoops of real vanilla ice cream is the best dessert I can think of. Some days home-made tiramisu is great. Same with cigars.

As for the power? Meh, I don't really choose a smoke based on its supposed power. I am more apt to choose based on flavors.

Agree with what's been posted; one dimensional smokes are great......as long as they are the right dimension.....;)

This.

I have a preferred flavor/strength range that I gravitate to, and it's a strong one. Strength and complexity are different categories in a cigar to me---the Zino Mouton Cadet, any Davidoff, a GOF Don Carlos are all fairly mild smokes (well, to me, anyway, I like asskickers) but extraordinarily complex, in that there seems to be quite a lot going on, smokewise, lots of different flavors and nuances.

Changes over the course of a cigar aren't "complexity" to me if it's just one flavor at a time, either. ;)

Personally, I look for what I call "bottom" or "bass notes" . . . heavy body, thick smoke, deep dark flavors, lots of coffee bean, earth and leather going on. If it starts that way and stays that way, GREAT . . . but if a cigar's not strong enough, it leaves me feeling like I need to go smoke a "real cigar" after I'm done with it.

~Boar

I'm with ya, Gary. I don't mind one-dimensional, as long as the flavor is right. And while most know what I usually go to for a smoke, I'll smoke different cigars with varying strengths, depending on the mood I'm in.
2x
In the mornings I like Medium body smokes with my coffee but when it comes to the evenings Full Body, thick smoke, strong flavor is my fave, thats why I enjoys lots of the Garcia Family cigars.

Well said, Gary. I love a both complex and one dimensional cigars. Now, I also say there are two type of complexity. One where the cigars flavors morph, and the other where the smoke just has differant nuances to it, that stay consistent for the whole stick. Some of those flavors may work to the forefront, and then recede as you smoke, but it is fairly consistent. Several cigars that morph totally, can oftentimes have a portion that I just don't care for.

If I sit down to eat a bowl of Thai Curry, yes, it is complex with all it's subtleties, yet it remains tasting like curry the whole time. What are we going to think if it changes to tasting like something not curry?

And as far as the self proclaimed experts........................

I might find a reviewer who seems to have the same sensibilities as I do. Then I might check his opinion on things.

I have a preferred flavor/strength range that I gravitate to, and it's a strong one. Strength and complexity are different categories in a cigar to me---the Zino Mouton Cadet, any Davidoff, a GOF Don Carlos are all fairly mild smokes (well, to me, anyway, I like asskickers) but extraordinarily complex, in that there seems to be quite a lot going on, smokewise, lots of different flavors and nuances.

2x
In the mornings I like Medium body smokes with my coffee but when it comes to the evenings Full Body, thick smoke, strong flavor is my fave, thats why I enjoys lots of the Garcia Family cigars.

Agree 107% My thoughts exactly. Well said, guys.

Exception being my current fave "AM with coffee" smoke is the little spice bomb Tat Petite Cazadore Reserva. That and a French Press of Killer Beans will start the day off with a buzz, to be sure......;)

Cheers - B.B.S.

I smoke from all sides of the spectrum. Reviews are subjective to the one smoking and writing the review. I never grab a cigar from a review but if say Smokyballs says I need to try such and such cigar, I will usually listen to him. He knows what I like. But if someone I just met says I need to try this, I usually won't. And the other thing is it depends on my mood. I do like lighter cigars now that the VA Hospital has put me on this sinus pill and spray. I can taste them but if its a one dimensional taste I like, I will smoke it. If its flat, I toss it. There is days I want light and days I want to be floored with a nicotine buzz. You don't need to have some refined palate. You know what you enjoy and you shouldn't feel bad you like one brand that no one else enjoys. At the end of the day, its your hard earned money you spent on what you enjoy. :)

...Maybe I'm an old fart and don't get it, ...

yeah thats all i got from all that hahahahaah

i like a power house smoke but usually after a big meal. what i really like is a cigar that taste yummy from beginning to end. Padron Londres come to mind and Padron ambassador

I don't mind one dimensional cigars if they are the right one dimension. Cigars like relatively young Opus, RyJ Caz, Parti shorts all come to mind. However I have to vote #2 because I mix it up a lot these days. I have recently been on a mild-medium kick that has been fantastic, lots of QdO and ERDM where I can find them.

haha, DITTO man. when I was in Paris 2 weeks ago, I couldn't get enough QdO's.

I'll agree with most. One dimensional cigars are great, as long as that one dimension is great. I don't need the start to change to something different in the middle and then finish like a ton of bricks. Just a great tobacco flavor throughout is just fine with me. :thumbs:

It was great to see the responses to the Poll Question. It was my intention to show some of our newer members that in the beginning of enjoying all that a cigar can bring to you, it's not so important to chase the big, bold expensive sticks when you're starting to build a collection. It's nice to have a few of the higher end powerhouse sticks as you start out as a point of reference or for a special occasion, but there is so much more that is available at a reasonable price and similar taste that can be just as enjoyable to smoke within your means and on a daily basis.

At times I see the younger and newer members chasing the limited releases and HTF stuff and I hope it's not to try to fit in with some us that have been smoking cigars for quite some time. I would rather see the newbs start out a bit slower with some less expensive cigars so they can work their way up to where some of us are today. EX: as opposed to buying some Tatuauje, My Father, or Fuente limited release with 10 to 15 cigars in a box for big bucks, there should be more emphasis put on the less expensive cigars like the Padron #000 series, 601s, closeouts on a previously more expensive cigars, etc. to start the enjoyment without breaking the bank.

Newbs, do a Search in the Completed Pass Section and read about Brian's (Jonesy) Newbie Passes, he does this periodically so you newer guys can be involved in CP (at a more reasonable price point) and participate in a Cigar Pass. He, and the Senior members that peek in from time to time, teach the rules within his Passes the same as in a high end Pass...and it's just as fun as you start out in this shared passion of ours. Who knows, maybe he'll do another chapter this Fall/Winter with a little prodding from the newer members!

Again, I guess what we are teaching here more than anything is PATIENCE in selecting what to smoke to a newb as they start out...and I think we do a very good job of that. But what some of the FOGs need to make public more is that they also smoke the less expensive stuff as they also buy the expensive stuff. There aren't many older guys here that started out smoking Davidoff, Opus X, and Padron Aniversario in their early days...just ask and you may be shocked how we all got our start! As you get older, you make more money and that affords you the luxury of stepping up our buying habits...just ask B.B.S., Doc, or AVB where their beginnings were and what they buy today :laugh:

It's OK to smoke cheaper cigars in the outset....or forever for that matter. We would rather read about a newb buying 10 less expensive cigars at their B&M and letting us know how they made out as they smoke each one, rather than going out and spending the same amount of money on 1-2 LEs so they can post they got those instead.

Guys, it's not about the stature of what you smoke, it's all about smoking cigars in general and enjoying those times with good people.

Thanks for all the responses, I hope there was a small lesson learned. :thumbs:

I prefer a variety. But, when it comes to complex cigars I prefer mild to medium. Less strengths allow the minor nuances to take center stage. Now a strong cigar can be complex, but to me it usually means it was aged for a good bit to allow some strength to subside allowing other flavors to come to the front.

-E

I started out smoking really crappy cigars (yes, my first oder was from Thompsons). Fairly quickly jumped into the hype and chased the crazy, high end (or high dollar) stuff. Slippery slope isn't even close. But, along the way I've learned that it's according to when, where, and my mood as to what I smoke. Most times now days I like full strength, body, spice, flavor cigars. The lower end Padrons are perfect examples (Londres, x000 series, etc) or Tat PetCazRes. But, there are times where I'll grab something slightly milder such as a WOAN. Look at how much these smokes cost ($4 or so?).

But, it's like anything else, a person has to find out for themself I think. Make that journey and hopefully enjoy the experience.

I know my journey has been awesome, even chasing the hype stuff, and wouldn't change it for anything (well, maybe the Thompson's part :D ).

I'm in the same mode as Phil right now. I will on occassion still reach for the stronger stuff like Pepin, LFD, and Opus, but more often then not I find myself smoking Davidoff, EPC, aged cigars that have mellowed, and especially CCs.