• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

5 Vegas sticks won't stay lit

fyyrest0rm

I picked up a few 3-packs of 5 Vegas sticks on CB a couple weeks ago, and they've been sitting in my humi ever since. Finally decided to try one (I've been looking forward to smoking one of these for a while) and it wouldn't stay l it. Thinking it was a fluke, I tried another. It wouldn't stay lit, either. Humidity inside the humi is good (63-67 depending on ambient temp). I use 69% Boveda packs. I am pretty new to the cigar world, but I was under the impression that they should have acclimated by now. Any ideas, tips, suggestions?

Probably over humidified before they got to you... It will take a while for them to settle in your humidor.

What I usually do is to Dry Box (a small humidor set at 58% to 60% humidity) the cigars I am going to smoke for the week. If they are just purchased, I try to allow them to settle for about a month before I dry box them and smoke them.

Ah. So a couple of weeks to settle just isn't good enough, then. I'll leave them alone for a while, then. Thanks!

Or you could dry box by putting in a cedar box or cigar box without humidification for 4-5 hours or overnight.

C

Smoke shitty cigars; get shitty results.

Doc

Bought a fiver of Coronado Lanceros, tunneled like crazy. I let them rest 4 weeks, still tunneled, not quite as bad. Four months later, wonderful.

They're great smokes. Just took a while.

Sadly, most of the 5 vegas line isn't great.

CigSid said:
Probably over humidified before they got to you... It will take a while for them to settle in your humidor.

What I usually do is to Dry Box (a small humidor set at 58% to 60% humidity) the cigars I am going to smoke for the week. If they are just purchased, I try to allow them to settle for about a month before I dry box them and smoke them.
Seems to take longer for overhumidified sticks to dry some, than it does for sticks that are a little dry to accept the moisture.

At least, at times it has seemed that way to me.

I think the Coronados from Litto Gomez are great smokes in the larger rgs.  The lanceros have been a disaster for me.  The dark wrappered ones especially so.

CMontoya79 said:
Or you could dry box by putting in a cedar box or cigar box without humidification for 4-5 hours or overnight.

C
 I'll give this a shot and see what happens.
JHolmes763 said:
Loose draw? Tight draw? Sure they weren't tunnelling?
Somewhat tight draw. Not really tunneling too much.
Devil Doc said:
Smoke shitty cigars; get shitty results.

Doc
LOL guess I just got schooled. I was under the impression that 5 Vegas were good sticks. That's why I've been looking forward to them.

A lot of people around here subscribe to the notion you should smoke what you like; like what you smoke. I don't. I don't let noobs smoke crap if I can help it. Unless you're hopelessly addicted to nicotine there's no good reason to smoke cheap cigars. Life's to short. Buy some Padrons or something similar. Stay away from the bargain brands offered by internet vendors. Find a good B$M and check out what the experienced cigar smokers around here are enjoying.

Doc

thechenman said:
I think the Coronados from Litto Gomez are great smokes in the larger rgs.  The lanceros have been a disaster for me.  The dark wrappered ones especially so.
After the first fiver smoothed out for me I bought a box of the lanceros. They have been really good. So good that I keep toying with the idea of picking up another box before they are gone.

Devil Doc said:
A lot of people around here subscribe to the notion you should smoke what you like; like what you smoke. I don't. I don't let noobs smoke crap if I can help it. Unless you're hopelessly addicted to nicotine there's no good reason to smoke cheap cigars. Life's to short. Buy some Padrons or something similar. Stay away from the bargain brands offered by internet vendors. Find a good B$M and check out what the experienced cigar smokers around here are enjoying.

Doc

Smoke what you like, and like what you smoke doesn't necessarily mean you should smoke crap.  It just means your preferences shouldn't be swayed by what others may think of your tastes and choices.

If you like 5 Vegas and the inconsistency that comes with that sort of cigar.....then by all means, have at them.

However, I agree with Doc in that life is too short to be experimenting with shitty cigars.  There are a plethora of sticks out there of high quality around that same price point.  So if we, long time members, can sway some noobs away from wasting their time on something like 5 Vegas.....good.

So smoke what you like, and like what you smoke......and if you haven't been around long enough to develop your range of preferences, then we have no problem steering you in the right direction.  In this case, stay away from 5 Vegas.

Brickhouse said:

Doc

However, I agree with Doc in that life is too short to be experimenting with shitty cigars.  There are a plethora of sticks out there of high quality around that same price point.  So if we, long time members, can sway some noobs away from wasting their time on something like 5 Vegas.....good.

So smoke what you like, and like what you smoke......and if you haven't been around long enough to develop your range of preferences, then we have no problem steering you in the right direction.  In this case, stay away from 5 Vegas.

Well said. More the reason to jump in on a Newbie Sampler Trade.

Kind of like Brickhouse said, but with two cents added. You have to try sticks to find out, and then of course you have us here on CP. All of our personal tasting is just that, personal. However, hanging around here you will find all of us agree to certain areas such as Padron or Fuente or Liga Privada etc. those without a doubt are fine sticks.

I will admit to looking for the best stick at a lower price point, I'd love to find something as tasty as a LP#9 for let's say $6, but it isn't going to happen.

I enjoy a decent smoke, my go to is a Padron 3000 Maduro and I face the fact that if I want a decent smoke I'm going to pay $5 a stick. When I want to raise the level I already know I'm going to have to up the ante and spent $10 plus for a Liga or LFD etc.

There is plenty to choose from, but you have to get past the head game of the cost to pleasure ratio. Find your go to smoke and be happy, then expand your horizons and find the love.

Light this! said:

Oh the irony... the first time I tried a 5 Vegas was because it was included in my NST.  Maybe my "FOG" was trying to demonstrate what I should avoid.

mjolnir01 said:

Oh the irony... the first time I tried a 5 Vegas was because it was included in my NST.  Maybe my "FOG" was trying to demonstrate what I should avoid.

:laugh:

Brickhouse said:

Doc

Smoke what you like, and like what you smoke doesn't necessarily mean you should smoke crap.  It just means your preferences shouldn't be swayed by what others may think of your tastes and choices.

If you like 5 Vegas and the inconsistency that comes with that sort of cigar.....then by all means, have at them.

Thanks for clarifying "smoke what you like, and like what you smoke". I was of the "other' mindset, honestly. That being said, I definitely DO NOT like the inconsistency of 5 Vegas, although they have been pretty consistent..consistently bad, that is. Out of the 9, I've tried 5 or 6. I left a few in a cedar box with no humidification overnight then tried one. Tried a second after 2 days in the box. Still had burn issues. It's safe to say that I've given up on them. Not sure where I got the impression that 5 Vegas were good, but eh. Lesson learned.

Light this! said:

Doc

I have thus far procrastinated about the NST. I think I'll break down and do it next payday. What have I got to lose, right?

Pugman1943 said:
Kind of like Brickhouse said, but with two cents added. You have to try sticks to find out, and then of course you have us here on CP. All of our personal tasting is just that, personal. However, hanging around here you will find all of us agree to certain areas such as Padron or Fuente or Liga Privada etc. those without a doubt are fine sticks.

I will admit to looking for the best stick at a lower price point, I'd love to find something as tasty as a LP#9 for let's say $6, but it isn't going to happen.

I enjoy a decent smoke, my go to is a Padron 3000 Maduro and I face the fact that if I want a decent smoke I'm going to pay $5 a stick. When I want to raise the level I already know I'm going to have to up the ante and spent $10 plus for a Liga or LFD etc.

There is plenty to choose from, but you have to get past the head game of the cost to pleasure ratio. Find your go to smoke and be happy, then expand your horizons and find the love.
I have tried a couple somewhat pricey sticks from my local B&M, and have found the CAO MX2 one of my favorites. However, it's not cheap at about $9/stick. I've been looking for something much cheaper for an everyday/while I work type of thing.

Light this! said:

I'll definitely go read through this thread tonight. Thanks!