• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Moen cartridge 1222

jbfurdog

This is a post to vent about the cartridge from hell. What a pain in the A to remove basically had to break it into a 1000 pieces and now I can't get the new cartridge in all the way. Currently soaking a rag in vinegar and water and have it stuffed in the pipe then I plan on scrubbing it out with a toothbrush. Any plumbers with some tips for me by chance?

No help, but I too hate cartridges. Changed out one and it continued to leak took me three weeks to finally sort it out. See if there is a YouTube for that cartridge. Good luck!

No help, but I too hate cartridges. Changed out one and it continued to leak took me three weeks to finally sort it out. See if there is a YouTube for that cartridge. Good luck!

I finally got it replaced but it was leaking even worse. Turns out the valve is bad it's pitted from all the calcium that built up. what was going to be a $40 fix turned into a bathroom remodel practically. Where's my whiskey?

I finally got it replaced but it was leaking even worse. Turns out the valve is bad it's pitted from all the calcium that built up. what was going to be a $40 fix turned into a bathroom remodel practically. Where's my whiskey?

That's always fun.... :(

I think secretly the wife is happy. Not really I might be able to get away with just cutting an access panel. For some dumb reason there isn't one.

Hate when that happens, Murphy and his damn rules.

Moens are notoriously difficult to remove without a tool made for it. Your local hardware giant or plumbing supply should have a Moen cartridge extractor. About $13. It sounds like it's out now, so the point may be moot.

I hope you didn't get a new Moen valve... Kohler is the way to go. They have lifetime warranty on most stuff as well.

Both Moen and Simmons valve have specific tools to remove them. However 50%of the time the brass breaks.

Paul

I hope you didn't get a new Moen valve... Kohler is the way to go. They have lifetime warranty on most stuff as well.

Both Moen and Simmons valve have specific tools to remove them. However 50%of the time the brass breaks.

Paul

BINGO!...and you can shave the area that the cartridge seals up you if it's not too pitted. Not sure Kohler is the way to go either...I sold both and they were as problem prone as any of the worst. Chinese brass blows...and their machining tolerances are for sh*t, VERY inconsistent...90% of the valve bodies come from there...no matter how much you pay for the fixture.

BINGO!...and you can shave the area that the cartridge seals up you if it's not too pitted. Not sure Kohler is the way to go either...I sold both and they were as problem prone as any of the worst. Chinese brass blows...and their machining tolerances are for sh*t, VERY inconsistent...90% of the valve bodies come from there...no matter how much you pay for the fixture.
Well. I just got another moen. Hopefully I won't live here long enough to have to screw with it again. (That's probably what the last owners said)

Nice access panel. Was it hidden under the paint?

Nice access panel. Was it hidden under the paint?

There was panel at one time but it got patched over. This was a fresh cut hole.

Edit: I must have been asleep typing.

Last edited:
Another big issue now with all brass is the lead free shit. We are having problems left and right with all manufactures of brass valves/fittings. They get pin holes in the cast. This makes for real issues with press fittings...

Another big issue now with all brass is the lead free shit. We are having problems left and right with all manufactures of brass valves/fittings. They get pin holes in the cast. This makes for real issues with press fittings...

Keeps you in business!