• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Sudeste Cubano Robusto

Kingantz

Growing too fast.
It’s unusually quiet out this morning. I can hear a bird calling in the distance every so often and definitely a very slow, steady hum of what sounds like crickets in the woods, but other than that, not much sound out here. Nice and peaceful morning to sit back and enjoy a good cup of coffee and hopefully a good cigar.

I received a Sudeste Cubano Robusto in the huge bomb received from some fantastic guys on here, and had a little note taped to it to do a review on it. I understand this is a house blend of Silo Cigars, and per Kevin’s (MindRiot’s) site, the cigar has an Ecuadorian Sun Grown Habano wrapper, Ecuadorian binder, and a Nicaraguan filler, all tobaccos that I really enjoy. The wrapper is a chocolate brown with noticeable oil and one prominent vein running the length. It has a good weight in the hand, firm with the exception of one soft spot right at the band, and with the cap punched I find the draw to be very loose.

I took my time putting fire to the foot, blowing on the embers every several seconds to get them burning evenly across. Once satisfied with the fully glowing foot, I take a couple puffs, and with the very little resistance, take a short draw. Whoa! I’m glad I took a short draw as there’s power at the beginning of this cigar! I get a nice hit of black pepper spice right at first with the smoke definitely a full body. Flavors are rich and dark with notes of chocolate, coffee bean, earth and a hint of woodiness. I detect a bit of cinnamon as well I think.

The burn is sharp so far in the first third with a light gray, almost white ash forming that is rather flaky, but holds strong until tapped off. Ample amounts of smoke is flowing effortlessly through the rather loose draw, and I have to take care not to pull too much through as the smoke continues to have strength to it. Flavors are consistent, and as I exhale through my mouth and nose, I get a really nice tingling in the nostrils from the perfect spice. There’s a nice finish upon initial exhale, however rather short on the palate.

Passing through the halfway mark, the cigar is still burning well with a light gray ash forming and the smoke being produced continuing to be powerful with lots of spiciness. The flavors are quite consistent with what seems like a burnt caramel taste as I get closer to the end, which isn’t bad at all. There’s a very good finish left on the palate upon initial exhale, and begins to last a little longer in the final third.

This was one cigar that I would not recommend for a beginning smoker, as it is quite powerful. Some cigars start out powerful, but then mellow after about an inch or so in, however this baby produced very full-bodied smoke all the way to the end. It was a very good smoke with sharp burn, nice white ash, excellent flavors, and good finish especially towards the end. Definitely pick up some of these and give them a try, but have a good meal first! :D

08-22-09SudesteCubano001.jpg

08-22-09SudesteCubano002.jpg

08-22-09SudesteCubano003.jpg

koo glad you liked it, they are my personal blend and i smoke power bombs mostly. I have a more refined but yet full body maduro in the works. I have actually smoked all the first samples and sold them in the store, i will have to send some out to some people to review because they are gooda.

koo glad you liked it, they are my personal blend and i smoke power bombs mostly. I have a more refined but yet full body maduro in the works. I have actually smoked all the first samples and sold them in the store, i will have to send some out to some people to review because they are gooda.

Sign me up!

That is a nice looking smoke, and it would have to be a power bomb if Greg says it is! :laugh: Great review Greg, I like seeing reviews on house blends, especially when the review is positive.

I have not smoked every house blend in the world, but I can honestly say this is the best one I have ever had. In fact I would have never known it was a house blend if I had not looked it up months ago when I smoked my first, really good cigar and a good review too :thumbs:

Great review and a very good cigar (and very reasonably priced). Kevin did an awesome job on these!

Kevin, were these (habano sungrown) a one time thing, or are you going to continue to have them produced?

- Phil

I will continue to have them made but right now I have so many requests for the Maduro that I have a order pending for more. In a week we went through about 25 bundles of samples. The only samples I have left are about 25 lanceros and 30 petite perfecto (think short story size). They are good so I have set them aside to age while others are being rolled, I will post when I get more in and will do a blind draw or something for people to try and do a review on them.

I only have Churchill and Torpedos left in the habano blend these are original release and are smoking really good. They dont start as strong as the robusto but transition to the power I like. I have a few of other sizes like toro and corona gorda but they are fresh rolled so the taste is a little different. I typically keep them around to see how and when are the peak times to smoke and/or release more.

I will continue to have them made but right now I have so many requests for the Maduro that I have a order pending for more. In a week we went through about 25 bundles of samples. The only samples I have left are about 25 lanceros and 30 petite perfecto (think short story size). They are good so I have set them aside to age while others are being rolled, I will post when I get more in and will do a blind draw or something for people to try and do a review on them.

I only have Churchill and Torpedos left in the habano blend these are original release and are smoking really good. They dont start as strong as the robusto but transition to the power I like. I have a few of other sizes like toro and corona gorda but they are fresh rolled so the taste is a little different. I typically keep them around to see how and when are the peak times to smoke and/or release more.

The masses demand more!

In all seriousness, Kevin has done some good work with Sudeste line. I only expect his cigars to get even better from here on out.

-Mark

I'm almost out of my stash of petite perfectos. These are tasty little suckers almost the same size as the Short Story. I have a couple of toro sized Sudeste left but those I pick my time with as they are strong.
Good review Greg!