• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

2012 is coming - anyone preparing...?

I grew up in a religion that preached emergency preparedness. My mom was in charge of it for her congregation until about a year ago. I can get more information if anyone wants it. One thing about being prepared is that this comes in handy for any disaster not just major end of the world type events. I'm not thinking about apocalyptic events, but a major hurricane hitting Houston and screwing up the water supply, electricity and life for a few weeks is not unbelievable. So I will be getting involved in preparing as money permits currently I have nothing.

Yeah, I mean, if rapture is coming, I don't think an extra box of 12ga shells is gonna make a difference. But if we're talking about all systems knocked out for a few weeks....well....

what would be a good pack knife say 6" blade?

I am a big Knife Fan. The Busse Family makes, imo, the best bang for the buck blades on earth. There are three companies under that name. Scrapyard Knives, Swamprat knives, and Busse Combat. Scrapyard currently has a 511 and 711 for sale that are excellent blades made of proven steel. They have a forum which has some members posting in the outdoors forum.
One fella in particular is quite knowledgeable in shtf type preparedness. He goes by "Architect".

I think I still have my Y2K end of the world stuff around.

Well a Vinotemp stocked to the brim, a an attack dog to alert me of an unwanted presence, 1000 rounds of ammunition, a pantry full of food, 20 years of violent videos for preparation, and a culinary 35 piece knife kit, with some of the sharpest steel around. I'd say I'll make it at least 3 weeks if the zombies don't show up by then, I'm with Charley... I HATE ZOMBIES!

Here's a what if, what if Hollywood got it wrong, what if shooting them in the head only makes it multiply, like Resident Evil style... THEN WE'RE F****ED!

I really don't buy into any of it really. Nothing wrong with being prepared though, and it's fun to joke around about, but the paranoia surrounding it just isn't for me.

For the rest of ya, enjoy!

Something will happen at some point. When, where, or what: can't say. But always having some sort of stockpile o' supplies and a "bug-out spot" never hurts. Having fully-armed family in the same neighborhood doesn't hurt either. Sounds crazy, but have a few cartons of cigarettes around. Intrinsic value...

Key points from prior posts: someone to pool supplies with, ability to kill/cook your own game, keeping certain things dry, and having something VERY sharp. Oh ya, and gotta have a couple bullets and cigars. :thumbs:

Media builds up Paranoia because there's a LOT of profit in it. Like the whole 2012 end of the world thing, look at all of the profit being made in the entertainment industry as well as survival supply companies, etc... People are just THAT gullible.

My power was out for 45 minutes this morning. Great practice.

I've lived out of a backpack for a total of about 4 years of my life, in the woods, all in preperation for this moment. I can make fire and can catch vermin.

Let the good times roll.

Problem now is that I have a wife to take care of, much easier to survive in the wild as one.

I'm preparing to get up every morning and go to work . . . vote in the Presidential election . . . keep my lawn nicely mowed and put the trash out on Fridays.

2012 . . . sheeeeeesh.

~Boar

I just picked up the 50 count Cigar Caddy. It is really for my week in Palm Springs, but it will come in handy IF the and of the world shit happens.

I agree with most people, I am not putting on my tin hat just yet but there is nothing wrong with being prepared. Gun, Ammo, Something sharp, Fire, Cigars, Water, Food and Protein Bars.. I probably won't need more than the cigars and fire.

I don't need to stock up on ammo...already have a large supply. Pointless having the toys and nothing to pump through them.

As for everything else. We'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Just wondering if anyone has caught the advertisinng of the new show Doomsday Preppers on Nat Geo.

Also are any of you part of the show...lol

Paul

I've lived out of a backpack for a total of about 4 years of my life, in the woods, all in preperation for this moment. I can make fire and can catch vermin.

Let the good times roll.

Problem now is that I have a wife to take care of, much easier to survive in the wild as one.

Are you serious? You should have your own show on Discovery.

IF shit hits the fan...don't bring cigars....smoking will be a dead giveaway to your location because of the aroma. Stealth is key.

Just a thought.

I live on an island that will get swallowed up by the ocean.