• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Acid Reflux?

:Monty:

Just wondering if anyone has this issue but still smokes.

I've never had major problems, just the occasional rolaid in the middle of the night. Over the last few months it's gotten progressively worse, to the point where I actually aspirated some stomach acid while sleeping last week. I know I need to see a doctor sooner than later, just trying to get a feel for if it's going to force me to quit or cut down. I'm at about 5-6 cigars a week.

Im not a dr. but ,

Try some omeprazole its available over the counter.
Also you could try elevating the head of the bed.

If you have to go to the Doctor, get a cigar smoking Doc. The other ones will always tell you to stop smoking.

Maybe your significant other is poising you, one drop at a time. She may have just increase the dose.

One other thing, if your getting morning headaches, check you head for lumps when you wake up. She may be hitting you with a hammer
while your sleeping. One small hit at a time.

Seriously brother, see a Doctor asap. Don't wait.

What else are you eating? Is it occurring every time after you smoke or just occasionally? Process of elimination can tell you a lot. Sort of like how I found out that I was lactose intolerant.

I would say look into an OTC med of some sort, there are lots of them out there now and they are relatively cheap at Sam's/Costco, start tracking what you eat and when episodes occur. I won't tell you not to go see a Dr., but barring the pain being extreme or some other weird factors he will probably take a course of action similar to something above. Any sort of hest pain or shortness of breath should be looked at.

I used to take Ranitidine but lost some weight and changed my diet and don't have issues anymore. I would occasionally have issues if I was already having heartburn if I smoked.

I had sinus problems for years. Went back to an old time allergist...told him my story and he immediately said 'stop taking the sinus meds'. Gave me a scipt for reflux meds and have been fine ever since.
After taking the stuff he gave me, I switch to a 2 week every 4 month(or so) OTC med that works great. I do find that too much spice or sauce...or too many smokes in a day, brings it back faster.

I'm too the point when I can feel it coming on and will start the meds...then I'm good to go.
Oh yea...and iirc yogurt helps (at least for me, ymmv).

See a doc.

I had problems with for awhile. For me it was too many sweets or eating anything too close to going to bed and I wouldn't be able to sleep. It was like something acidic was stuck in my throat. When I dropped a few pounds and changed what I ate it helped a lot. Sometimes smoking too close to bed time also did it. I also keep rolaids and antiacid pills around just in case.

I had it really bad, and went on Aciphex. After a brief medication treatment, I'm now cured. I rarely get it anymore. Smoking had nothing to do with it, at least for me.

I'm a med student. If you want you can pm me and I'll answer what I can. Any type of smoking will affect reflux though. Sorry to say. But do try some over the counter meds like Prilosec. If its waking you up though you need to see a doctor

I really need to lose a few pounds and eat better. I picked up some prevacid yesterday so we'll see how that goes. I just started reading internet horror stories about people who aspirate stomach acid and how excessive acid reflux can lead to esophageal cancer. Glad to see others have had similar issues but I'm going to hit the doctor asap.

I was once tested for a bacteria that causes heartburn. Mine came back negative. Apparently, there is some sort of bacteria that can cause this.
The treatment was antibiotics and prilosec. I don't know if that is still considered a cause, but 15 or so yrs ago, ir was all over the news.

yea its called H.pylori and its a bacteria that causes ulcers. as for monty it sounds like his acid reflux is just getting worse. can be due to a variety of things such as foods, weight, etc.. some prescription antacids would probably do the trick in most cases. if you go to the doc they are probably going to look down there with a camera...or at least a good doctor would.

I really need to lose a few pounds and eat better. I picked up some prevacid yesterday so we'll see how that goes. I just started reading internet horror stories about people who aspirate stomach acid and how excessive acid reflux can lead to esophageal cancer. Glad to see others have had similar issues but I'm going to hit the doctor asap.
as for the cancer..they actually just came out with a study that shows its not as common as people think. it takes many years of uncontrolled acid reflux to cause that kind of change. but if you go to the doctor now they will watch you over the next few years. acid reflux affects the bottom of your esophagus and most smoking problems are related to your upper esophagus or the throat area so i will say "cigar" smoking shouldn't affect you that much. regular smoking would probably have a bigger impact.

I used to have heartburn/acid reflux daily from the time i was 20 until 25. I now drink the recommended 64oz.(minimum) of water daily and it's practically eliminated. I'm actually drinking about 80-100oz daily but it took care of it almost immediately.

And here I thought we were talking about some fancy new flavored cigar.

I do the Pepcid AC two week regime. I'm two weeks into the 4 month 'off' period. Got heartburn at bowling halfway through the first beer tonight. It was so bad, I was popping Tums and never lit the cigar I had clipped and ready to go. Probably not a good thing.

Recently started waking up all times of the night with heartburn.

Apparently, weight has something to do with it (i was in a car accident and gained a few lbs). As well as eating late.

The Pepcid AC suggestion, combined with not eating late and elevating my head has really helped.

As with everything, diet and exercise will help

All good advice above. I will point out my acid reflux is stress driven. I suffered from acid reflux for years fighting it with tums, Rolaid’s, etc. I was assigned a new position in my company for a year. This position was a trial “newly created” position and I was the experiment. The job had no measureable matrix nor definition. I created all of that. Thus the job had no stress. My last position did have stress, but I thought that I was the tough guy and the stress didn’t affect me. About two months into the new position my acid reflux went away and never returned. I didn’t know why, but I was happy. Fast forward to a year later, the position was defined and I became bored in it. I asked and was allowed to transfer back to my original position with the stress. Less than one month the acid reflux was back. It dawned on me that this was how my body handles the stress. I have since moved higher in the company and the stress level has increased as well. I am on omeprazole daily (per doctors instructions) and it controls it very well. Just an occasional episode at night (my only time I get reflux). Just wanted to share an additional trigger for acid reflux for some.

As someone who has suffered nasty heartburn many times, all of the suggestions are great but the two things that has always helped me is not to eat anything 2-3 hours before you go to sleep and reduce the daily amount of caffeine. Rx medication have worked wonders for me!

Good luck!

Im not a dr. but ,

Try some omeprazole its available over the counter.
Also you could try elevating the head of the bed.

This.

I had (what I thought) was really bad acid reflux. One night it got so bad it put me in the ER and they ended up admitting me with what they thought was Pancreatitis. They ran some test and "observed"me but ultimately sent me home with pain meds and told me to "monitor" the condition. Acid reflux would come and go and then about a year later (last Christmas day as a matter of fact) it was back to the ER. This time a doctor actually talked to me and after a bit came to the conclusion it might not be acid or my pancreas but was probably an ulcer caused by H. Pylori. They gave me thirty days of Omeprazole and that was it, not the slightest bout of heartburn since. I think you can get a 30 supply at Costco for $20.