• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Aging cigars with spices?

theginguy

I know this might seem like a weird question and don't get me wrong. I really like natural cigars.

But I was in my local cigar shop today looking at silicon beads, which happened to be right next to the pipe tobacco. I've always loved pipe tobacco.

I also love spiced chai tea. I make my own chai with Assam loose leaf and then I add cardamom, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and pepper corn.

So I was thinking, has anyone ever tried to add just a little bit of a good smelling pipe tobacco or maybe a cinnamon stick or some cloves to a cigar or a few cigars in their humidor to age together?

Of course sealed off from the rest of your stash so that the aroma of the pipe tobacco or spices don't fill up your humidor.

Just a thought.

Or I guess I could just go out and by some Acid's right? I'm just talking about maybe adding a little nice scent to the wrapper, not making the whole cigar a total spice bomb. :)

Just a thought.

Everybody has their own tastes so if it's something you think you'll like, go for it. Now I'm sure there will be 20 people behind me saying this a horrible idea, but then again, no one person has the same tastes, right? Try it out and come to your own conclusion before you get discouraged from the 30 posts saying this is a horrible idea. Try it in a smaller humidor with some sticks that you won't mind chunking if the experiment goes awry. This way you can come to your own conclusion on what YOU like and you're not going by what others tell you that you should like.

This seems like an interesting idea. Keep us posted if you do decide to experiment !!

Cinnamon could be cool?
Chris
Edit: I've heard of people using viper beads with alcohol instead of distilled water to infuse... I can't see why other methods don't have a chance of working?

Allot of people do something similar to this with an alcohol like bourbon. They start with a jar, put a shot glass of bourbon in, and place the cigars in the jar around the shot glass. I have never tried this myself, so I can not attest to its working or not, but my understanding is that it yields good results. There are a few cigar makers that sell cigars like this made through a similar process. So you might try this method with your spices to yield your result. Just a thought.

If you think it's something you would like, by all means go for it. I wouldn't suggest using a humidor, though. If you don't like it, it will be a pain in the ass to return the humi to "normal". Read about my adventures here. I'd try it with a tupperdor if I were you.

Well, since no one else said it: this a horrible idea!

Yep!

I think some guy named Drew did this, his last name is Estate :)

Actually, I hate agreeing with Brian here but hey, if it trips your trigger, go for it!

One fact of life I hate: You can't unread something :D

Enjoy your experiment. Everyone like to try something new once in a while. I think Holmes said tried wearing a mini-skirt once because he thought it would keep his twigs and berries cooler in summer.... To each their own.

Enjoy your experiment. Everyone like to try something new once in a while. I think Holmes said tried wearing a mini-skirt once because he thought it would keep his twigs and berries cooler in summer.... To each their own.

Huh? ???

Not for me, but I know some who swear that they turned dog rockets into very good smokes. I say if you like it, go for it.

Huh? ???

Horrible skiing accident as a child... you don't want to know. ???

I did something like this with cognac ... I got an empty cedar box and put a couple Punch Rare Corojo and instead of putting hydrating crystals with distilled water I replaced the water with cognac. I left them in there for about 8 month checking on humidity. I smoked one right out of the box and it was a bit too much. Really spicy and harsh ... so I put the pther in a regular humidor for another few month's to mellow the cognac. It turned out pretty good. Wouldn't do it again but it was a nice experiement.

I have a buddy who puts pipe tobacco in his humidor, the cigars smell great but, IMO The taste is negligible. Now I am not sure how long it would take to permeate the stick but, from my limited experience, I do not think that it affected the cigars much at all.

Just a thought, but if you are thinking about adding some flavor to your cigars, be it spice or whatever, maybe the cigars you are smoking suck. I can't imagine adding anything to a cigar as that would kill the flavor and aroma of the ones I have and enjoy. But, to each his own :thumbs:

Not for nothing, but I threw some of the leafy box contents they put with the boxes of ACID's into my ACID only humi. Same idea, only different. Funny thing...I like ACID's but the Natural's don't thrill me. As long as you don't put any traditional cigars in with the Natural's it shouldn't be a problem. I'd get a cheap humi to do it with in case you change your mind and decide to chuck the idea later down the road. You can get a 100 count for about $46 online.

Just a thought, but if you are thinking about adding some flavor to your cigars, be it spice or whatever, maybe the cigars you are smoking suck. I can't imagine adding anything to a cigar as that would kill the flavor and aroma of the ones I have and enjoy. But, to each his own :thumbs:
X2. Check out the Punch Elite (Honduras), lots of cinnamon taste in that one.

I hear you. But it looks like he may just be wanting to make this hobby a little more interactive & impart some of his personality & creativity into his smokes. My .02.