• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

aging opinions & techniques?

puffnstuff

altruistic pervert
I recently got Min Ron NEE's masterpiece-of-a-book, and while I've only just barely scratched the surface of it, it's clear that aging havanas (and probably even non-havanas, in some cases) is absolutely crucial.

from what I've gathered so far, it seems like the most strongly suggested way is to leave the cigars as undisturbed as humanly possible; i.e. left in original box, especially the closer to "voite nature" they are, left in tubes or whatever other packaging each individual cigar comes housed in within the box, and opening the box as little as possible, so as to keep the exchange of fresh oxygenated air to a minimum.
I know that "breathing" speeds up the fermentation process, but also aids in the evaporation of the oils that make up the "bouquet", so that theory makes sense for shorter-term aging.

what I'm wondering is how most people treat the situation when the goal is long-term aging. what are your opinions, techniques, suggestions? I know that it varies depending on the particular cigars themselves.
for example, do you seal a box of cigars air-tight before storing it in a humidor (or coolidor etc.)? it sounds like that technique slows the fermentation (and thus aging) process, but makes for a more "flavorful" smoke in the end. but do the ends justify the means (aka- are the results undeniably worth the effort and patience)?

Buy a giant humidor and keep a large volume in stock. I've got boxes that may have only been opened twice in a year. When you have alot to choose from some have to age because you can't get to them all :D

Yeah, I would say get either a separate humidor, or a coolerdor only for boxes you plan on aging for a while. Get the most reliable and maintenance free humidification device you can get (climmax comes to mind) so that you're not opening the lid all that often. Just often enough to let some of the bad stuff (ammonia, etc.) out. It also might be worthwhile if you're really serious, and neurotic about humidity to get a wireless hygrometer where you put the sensor in the box, and can put a separate unit on the outside of the humidor so you can monitor the humidity and temp without having to open the lid. Another tip I've seen is to open the box and place a thumb tack between the bottom of the box and the lid. This should prop it open just about the right amount. My 2 cents.

Well, I am no expert but there is a school of thought out there that MRN is too hung up on aging. Of course that mostly just my excuse since I have no patience to age cigars :D if I know they're there, their lives are short.

LMAO, how's THAT for an English lesson on how to properly use:

there
they're
their

which quite a few people screw up on regularly :D

If you want to go the aging route, ejquin's idea (coolerdor w/ beads) is right on, especially the part about if you're that "neurotic" :D go with the external hygrometer.

puffnstuff et al...buy more than you smoke and in 5 years you will have some nicely aged smokes, 10 years you will have some realllllly nicely aged stuff.its what you have to do.as you build an inventory/stash and start buying multiple boxes etc....you will find that you just start smoking older and older smokes.

do you seal a box of cigars air-tight before storing it in a humidor ...yes and no...the boxes/cabs are shut and still have the nail in, cello(if any) is still on but they still exchange air when opened/gazed at...how often you look at em is up to you.

are the results undeniably worth the effort and patience...yup

derrek :)

Excellent idea Derrek :thumbs:

Darn it, this means I have to buy five boxes a month :(

thanks a lot for the feedback, guys.
sounds like great advice.
thinkin' I might have to buy a nice sized cooler and set that up with the climax stuff. I do like the idea of the wireless remote hygrometer, since I probably would obsess about the conditions on the interior, and hence feel the need to over-monitor it.

actually, that brings up another question- for long-term storage, should I go with the 65% or the 70%?

one last question (and this one might seem dumb, but...)- does one go by the date stamped on the box for determining the exact age? i.e. stamped july 2002 = 2 year old cigars? or is there some other factor I'm overlooking?

ok ok, this is the last question- if you buy singles, say, from a shop, how do you know what the date for one of those is? check the box, or just go with the purchase date?

now...to figure out how I'm going to afford a stash big enough to be worth-while the effort of long-term aging at the same time as finding the willpower not to smoke 'em all up before their time! ???

(and thanks for the english lesson, CC!) ;)

actually, that brings up another question- for long-term storage, should I go with the 65% or the 70%?

I would go with 65%. Most people will say 65% for cubans, and 70% for non cubans, but 65% seems to be the best.

one last question (and this one might seem dumb, but...)- does one go by the date stamped on the box for determining the exact age? i.e. stamped july 2002 = 2 year old cigars? or is there some other factor I'm overlooking?

Yes, a box date of 2002 would mean 2 year old cigars

ok ok, this is the last question- if you buy singles, say, from a shop, how do you know what the date for one of those is? check the box, or just go with the purchase date?

I wouldn't really worry too much about age of singles for a few reasons. First off, retailers are very rarely going to sell aged singles, and if they are you can bet they will have signs all over telling you the year they are from (ala pre-embargo). Most retailers will sell singles from boxes as soon as they get them in, meaning they will be relatively young. Secondly, I've always found it difficult to age singles. Even if i intend to age them, it never fails that I catch a glimpse of one in my humiidor and decide to smoke it. I use singles to pass the time while my boxes age.

Having said all that, yes you could just look at the box date if there is one, or ask someone :)

i haven't an idea what aging does to cigars but one time while cleaning my room up i found a 5pack of black and mild that had been setting under my tv cabinet for over 3years, the cello was yellow
opened up one and decided to try it, it was smoother than if it was new, the taste was black and mild
now I always through a package of Blacks under the TV for awhile
Shawn :D

You haven't lived until you've had a well aged Hav-A-Tampa. :lookup:

:sign: