• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

America's FIRST 5 Star Bourbon

Revisited this Hirsch tonight. Nothing new to add but if you haven't gotten one yet you should do so soon before it is all gone.

Looked again yesterday and found it for $75, locally.

On a side note ...... why the heck can't I find my PVW 20 anywhere locally? :angry:

:cool:

Can't seem to find this under $95 in DC. :angry: And 'm sure the ABC stores in VA don't have it. I may have to wait till i'm back in NJ to check there.

I'll be looking for some of your reviews in the future, I do some bourbon too once in a while but more of a scotch drinker generally.

Here is the best price you'll find. Not as good as just a few months ago but a great chance to get some while you can.

I appreciate the link and the info as I am a bourbon man... thanks....

A.H. Hirsh Reserve 16 yo Bourbon, 750ml, standard bottle, no box, 91.6 proof, $55-100 depending where you find it. There was also a 20 yo that is now impossible to find for under $400 a bottle.

A.H.%20Hirsch%2016.JPG

The last, only and sadly soon to be gone pot still bourbon in America. A.H. Hirsh Reserve 16 yo Bourbon was made by the Mitchter distillery in Schaefferstown, PA until 1990 when a fire caused them to cease operation. The Mitchter Distillery was the oldest continuously operating distillery in the US with operation going back to 1752.

For those that don't know, a pot still is what is used for single malt scotch while almost everything else uses a Coffey still that is cheaper and faster but not necessarily better. You can read about pot and Coffey stills here if you want.

In the almost 15 years since the bottling of the A.H. Hirsh Reserve a number of bourbons have risen to the top but this remains the first bourbon ever given 5 stars by the Spirit Journal something that now happens only to a few outstanding bourbons.

I've included their review below because it is written better than I can do and I agree with it 100%.

This incredible bourbon was distilled in the spring of 1974 at the currently closed Michter's Distillery in Schaefferstown, Pennsylvania, with a high proportion of rye. By law all bourbon must contain a minimum of 51% corn but this is the only one in our experience that echoes the sweet, nutty flavors of fresh picked white corn, fresh cooked out in the field it grew in. There's even a note of butter to complete the picture.

"Lustrous, rich medium-amber/sunset orange with copper/russet highlights, the tight, compact nose has sensuous fragrances of spiced orange, walnut, corn husk, a touch of resin, and, most predominantly, nougat. The layers of aroma unwrap like the delicate skins of an onion - it's a seductive and coy bourbon nose. A robust and polite bourbon in the mouth, with happily married tastes of caramel, oats, toffee, wood smoke, maple syrup, oak, controlled alcohol and raisins. Hirsch Reserve 16 year old received the first ever five star rating for a bourbon by The Spirits Journal, the authoritative voice of fine spirits.

"It's as seductive and coy a Bourbon nose as I've come across; in the mouth, this robust, but polite Bourbon confidently offers happily married tastes of caramel, oats, coffee, wood smoke, maple syrup, oak, controlled alcohol and raisins, there's even a slim trace of sweet sherry in the sublime, firm, heady aftertaste; clearly the best Bourbon I've evaluated for the Spirits Journal to date." Score: 5 stars, F. Paul Pacult.

Chances are you won't find this for under $70 anywhere anymore but if you can buy it or order it I'd highly recommend doing so. Have a drink of history. :thumbs:

I've had this version (gold foil) and it's very good but not like its predecessors. In my opinion the Blue wax is the best followed by the black wax and gold wax last. The foil cannot hold a candle to the earlier batches.

Also, regarding the pot still. It is still open for debate whether or not Michters was using a pot still at the time of distillation of this batch (hirsch 16: Barreled, 1974; dumped, 1990). From what I've read, I'm leaning toward the fact that Michters was not using a pot still at that time. Call it an educated guess.

Jim Butler

Just checked binnys.com and the 16 yo is $69.99 with ample supplies. FYI.

Just checked binnys.com and the 16 yo is $69.99 with ample supplies. FYI.

Thanks, sack. If you want to get an idea of difference between blue wax and foil I suggest you head to NYC or Las Vegas and you'll certainly be able to find yourself some blue wax.

Just checked the liquor store here in CT where I got my PVW23. The Hirsch 16 is $99.99. Ridiculous!

But, I ordered it! :0

However, I did pick up an EC18 for $25.99 :D

And why didn't you order it from Binny's and save yourself $25 or so ??? :whistling:

Just picked up a bottle. Very nice flavor; much better than most, but the PVW20 is still my favorite.

17 of 18 bottles have landed. Somebody has to open one at some point and have some thoughts on it ???

I've had some of mine and thought it was very good, but I'm not one who writes good reviews, especially since I don't drink many bourbons. I did find a local store that has a few bottles in stock, and not a bad price for $80. They actually have an excellent selection of whiskies...

Oh well, at least you saved a few bucks plus you didn't have to pay tax.

I've had some of mine and thought it was very good, but I'm not one who writes good reviews, especially since I don't drink many bourbons. I did find a local store that has a few bottles in stock, and not a bad price for $80. They actually have an excellent selection of whiskies...

It saved me about $12. They have a few bottles of the Caol Ila 25 year in stock too, and I'm sure eventually I'll get around to picking up a bottle of that...