• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Anderson Silva the best pound for pound

jeht2000

bodybuilder for life
Don't know how many watch the fight last night but A. Silva took out another top level fighter in Dan Henderson. Is there anyone that can stop him now? I don't think so. The only thing for him to do now is move up a weight class and fight George St-Piere. Now that would be a REALLY good fight. Two all around fighters that are the two best guys in UFC.

You meant move down a weight class. He fights at 185 and GSP at 170.

I agree, that would be a great fight ... after GSP destroys Serra.

Seth

Don't know how many watch the fight last night but A. Silva took out another top level fighter in Dan Henderson. Is there anyone that can stop him now? I don't think so. The only thing for him to do now is move up a weight class and fight George St-Piere. Now that would be a REALLY good fight. Two all around fighters that are the two best guys in UFC.

Yes...4 people actually well three and one DQ

OkamiYushin Okami on 20 January 2006
Ryo Chonan on 31 December 2004
Daiju Takase on 8 June 2003
Luiz Azeredo on 27 May 2000

I think he can be beat. I really can't say who might beat him, but he is definitely beatable.

Your right seth, Silva is 185 so he would have to move down(won't happen) or St. Piere would have to move up. Silva could move up to 205 but he wouldn't be as dominant. I'm almost sure he would beat Rampage thou and I am a Rampage fan.

Yeah, Silva is a badass. He just seems to be on a different level than the other fighters in that weight class. I thought that Rich Franklin would beat him but Silva destroyed him...Twice.

Silva's walking weight is 213 lbs. I think a cut to 170 would be too much. That's well over 10% of his body weight.

He really doesn't have anyone left to fight at MW. I've read that Okami might be his next opponet. There's also been talk of him moving up to Light Heavyweight.

Chuck vs Silva would be awesome!

I don't see the UFC letting him move up to 205, the division is already deep and adding Silva to the mix would just make things even more mixed up. I would like to see Filho come over and fight Silva but that isn't going to happen because they are training partners and refuse to fight each other.

There have been rumors Matt Hughes is thinking about moving up to 185, I think its the most likely thing to happen. I'm not to excited by this match up, I think Hughes would get dominated, He would loss the size battle and Silva has shown he knows how to fight wrestlers.

Your right seth, Silva is 185 so he would have to move down(won't happen) or St. Piere would have to move up. Silva could move up to 205 but he wouldn't be as dominant. I'm almost sure he would beat Rampage thou and I am a Rampage fan.

I think rampage is too strong for him if he moved to 205, he'd do to him what he did he henderson. The 185lb class is small and they need more talant imo. I mean really look at the weight class, the top fighters are Anderson Silva, Rich Franklin,Jeremy Horn , Yushin Okami, Alessio Sakara thats only 5. And none of them are close to Silva.

Anderson is certainly the man when it comes to the middleweight division and I think he is going to have to go elsewhere to get a real challenge. I would love to see him fight chuck as both are great strikers and I think it would make for a really interesting fight. Not sure what the UFC is going to do in terms of bringing him worthy opponents because there really isn't anyone left. Just as a little side note Anderson did say that he would like to take on a top boxing contender, and I believe he even mentioned Roy Jones Jr.

Mark, your right about Rampage having the strength advantage but thats about it!! Silva is soo deadly with his kicks and knees that he would be too much for Jackson. And don't forget, Jackson shown he has a problem in the clinch

I'm confused. Is the title of this thread a question or a statement? Are you stating Silva's the best pound for pound, or are you asking?

Think about what "pound for pound" means...this is not the best in a specific weightclass, which is pretty easy in most cases to determine.
It's about the best OVERALL fighter.

Man, thats pretty tough to say...

...there are a ton of contenders in the UFC for "pound for pound"...is Silva the best...in my opinion, no way.

Can I tell you who is the best? Hell naw! But for me, I'd definately put Frank Mir above Silva.

Yeah, he got hit with some mits from Lesner...but hell Lesners hands are the size of Volkswagens!! He just starts swinging them and the have to connect sooner or later.

I liked Frank before the crash, and I like him more after. He's not done with his "comeback" yet, and when he is done, there will be a laundry list of guys who tried to stop him...and folks like us just might be labeling him as best "pound for pound"

my .02

I'm going to disagree w/ Mir, but will have to think who I think best fits the mold of "pound for pound".

Frank Mir? The best pound for pound fighter? He was awesome pre-crash but now? Anderson Silva still gets my vote. Diego Sanchez has a pretty good game but he needs to fight some better opponents to be considered. Fedor Emelianenko could be the guy but he needs to fight iin ufc first!

To the best PFP fighter you need to be the best in your weight class first. Mir may get there but he is definitely not there now.

Spider and GSP are only two with legit claims in my book. Fedor needs to fight someone beside a hormonally challenge giant. And GSP needs to avenge the Serra loss first. In time I think it will be a dead heat with the Spider and GSP.

Mir definitely can't be considered PFP right now! As others have said, Piere and Silva are the two stand out fighters right now.

I actually didn't say Mir was best PFP...I just said, I'd put him ahead of Silva in the running.

Best PFP has to take alot into consideration. Mir may not be the force he once was, and he may not ever be again...but...if he ever does get that great again, then PFP title could definately be his.

UFC fighting, isn't just "fighting"...it has alot to do with what you know. What you know to do, and what you know NOT to do...and in my opinion, Frank Mir has probably forgotten more about fighting than Silva will ever know. That, to me, puts Mir ahead in MY PFP rankings...but what do I know, I'm just a draftsman!!

Do we have to keep our PFP list limited to the UFC? There's a dude in the WEC that's been easily tearing up the cages...Uriah Faber. He's not so big (by nature), but he brings an excellent game every night he shows up

Spider is a stud, without doubt. He is certainly a contender for best pfp in MMA.

There is one fighter I believe deserves consideration, but will never get support until he gets out from under DREAM (formerly K-1): Norifumi "Kid" Yamamoto.

At 65kg(approx 145lbs), Yamamoto has defeated the big names K-1 put in front of him & does so in convincing fashion. He's taken out Katsuta, Jeff Curran (historically the best US 65kg fighter I've ever seen), Royler Gracie & Caol Uno (on the same night), and Genki Sudo. Unfortunately, DREAM's lowest weight class is 154lbs, so Kid hasn't fought since December. Hopefully they will put in a 145lb class so we can see the small guys go -- heck, the 155lb and lighter have always been the most exciting classes to watch.

I actually didn't say Mir was best PFP...I just said, I'd put him ahead of Silva in the running.

I guess a lot of people are putting Silva at #1 so if Mir is ahead of him.....

I didn't see anything in this thread about UFC only. I think someone mentioned Fedor. Faber is a stud. Fihlo would have been another until Sonnen gave him a run. Kid is an animal also.

I think we need an ol' fashioned MMA Battle Royal and see who is left standing! My money is on The Iron Sheik.

I know this isn't the direction anyone might see this thread going, but I want to just throw out props for the women fighters in MMA. We (my friends and colleagues Jeff Osborne and Miguel Iturrate) actually put on the first all-woman MMA show in the US: HOOKnSHOOT Revolution. Jeff owns HOOKnSHOOT and back in 2002 we had women knocking down the door for professional opportunities, thus the show.

On that card, an exciting, funny, and likable young woman from North Carolina made her pro debut. Now she is the most well-rounded female fighter in the world -- Tara LaRosa.

So props to Tara for some consideration. I honestly have never seen a fighter so dedicated to the craft of MMA, and she is such a great person to be around. If you haven't seen her fight, you gotta check her out....

Tara%20L%20010.jpg

And here is a video link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh3iBATIJgg

To see how far she's come, here is video from HOOKnSHOOT when Tara (in her 2nd or 3rd fight ever) took on Jennifer Howe (who at the time was the undisputed best female fighter in the world & she was Jeremy Horn's girlfriend). Tara gets knocked out, but at the time NO ONE wanted to fight Howe -- except Tara:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ-GRxp9WY4...feature=related

(as an aside, a year earlier one of our Brazilian friends (Ricardo Pires) lobbied to get a young kid fresh out of high school on a fight card -- said he had the sickest skills for a big man. So in July of 2001 Frank Mir made his pro MMA debut at HOONnSHOOT)