• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Another C-Bid Overpay

It never ceases to amaze me how much people will pay for absolute crap on Fleabay - especially when my wife is the one selling :laugh: Last year, she was selling the new quarters for an average of 70 cents each.

A few months ago, I might have been the one that had folks scratching their heads. One of the biggest things I'm picking up on CP is the concept of MSRP and how sometimes to get around it. Fellow Newbs, whether you know it or not, some of the ones to watch for price advice are CoventryCat, GGiese, Moki, The Master, and CigarDawg, just to name a few.

The best piece of advice I got on buying things at auction is to bid an amount that will make you happy whether you win or lose....as in:

I am so happy I won this at that price. I can't believe I bought this for such a price.

or

I am so happy that I didn't bid any higher for that thing. I can't believe what some people will pay for something.

Identifying that price is sometimes kind of tough, but I pick a number as my max price and let autobid do the rest. I always bid under MSRP, but then I'm bidding on smoking cigars, not collectibles. Sometimes it's a little disappointing when you don't win, but the same cigar will come around again, all you have to do is wait.

Something else to think about...just because somebody pays over MSRP doesn't make them an idiot. There are lots of reasons to pay over MSRP for cigars including rarity, local availability and taxes, potential for resale (it doesn't matter what you pay if you can sell it for more), impatience and getting caught up in the auction (why do you think they call it "winning" instead of buying....nobody wants to "lose"). Of course, some people are just idiots.

I like Cbid. Sometimes the pictures are generic and their descriptions are off...I don't care, I don't use them as a reference anyway.

The key to successful Cbidding is:
- do your homework, know what you are buying and the correct MSRP
- calculate your happy price, bid that
- weekly shipping (they batch ship to you once per week)
- coordinate your purchases so they lump together in 1 shipment
- don't sweat it if you get outbid...patience is the key!

Good luck and happy hunting!

Joe

I have no affiliation with Cbid or any other cigar related business.

The best piece of advice I got on buying things at auction is to bid an amount that will make you happy whether you win or lose....as in:

I am so happy I won this at that price. I can't believe I bought this for such a price.

or

I am so happy that I didn't bid any higher for that thing. I can't believe what some people will pay for something.

Identifying that price is sometimes kind of tough, but I pick a number as my max price and let autobid do the rest. I always bid under MSRP, but then I'm bidding on smoking cigars, not collectibles. Sometimes it's a little disappointing when you don't win, but the same cigar will come around again, all you have to do is wait.

Something else to think about...just because somebody pays over MSRP doesn't make them an idiot. There are lots of reasons to pay over MSRP for cigars including rarity, local availability and taxes, potential for resale (it doesn't matter what you pay if you can sell it for more), impatience and getting caught up in the auction (why do you think they call it "winning" instead of buying....nobody wants to "lose"). Of course, some people are just idiots.

I like Cbid. Sometimes the pictures are generic and their descriptions are off...I don't care, I don't use them as a reference anyway.

Joe

OUTSTANDING take on the whole C-Bid thing! :thumbs:

I still find deals on occasion but I find myself going this cigar auction site more and more frequently:

Cigar Auctioneer

What really impressed me was that if you bid on something that they have for sale in their retail section and your bid is higher than the retail price you get a "warning" and may cancel your bid. It even directs you to the retail site. That tells me that they want you to get your auctions for less than retail prices. They do consolidated shipping and I have never had a problem with customer service.

Joe, thats perfectly put. I'm a little suspect about people that just carry C-Bids name out to the trash as I have never had an auction whereby I paid anymore than what I know is MSRP. Those who get caught up in the heat of the moment auction bidding wars have their issues; I'm sure there are 12 step processes for folks who need to win versus getting what they want for how much they are comfortable parting with.

C-Bid can be your best friend or worst enemy... the choice is the users. Like you said, bid what you are comfortable bidding and let the rest sort itself out (and autobid is so SO nice!).

I was a big Gurkha fan, and have been able to get many cigars below MSRP by just being patient and waiting, as well as scanning ALL the auctions (boxes, 5 packs/samples, etc....). Yes, they do make mistakes but hey who doesn't.

An educated consumer is better than one consumed by the need to win!
Darren

:)

or

Joe

Well cbid is a joke for hard to find smokes, but for everyday stuff you can usually get steals. Its just like fleabay, Type 1 people know what there doing can get good stuff cheap, Type 2 people are those whom have more bucks then brains and get taken for a ride. Take it with a grain of salt a guess. Someone’s going to take advantage of these people, that’s just life’s lessons. Unfortunate yes, but unavoidable imo.

C-bid is a great source for everyday smokes. I have gotten gurkhas, toranos, and sherpas for $2 to $1 a smoke. But it has gotten a little overpopulous lately.

I think the problem with c-bid, and the reason that some of us are giving them so much grief is that they are being outright deceptive. They are using business practices that are designed to mislead the uninformed and they are outright gouging for cigars. Yes, part of the blame falls on the consumers at their site for being dumb or getting carried away with the auction process and need to win, however they are contributing to it by misplacing auctions and quoting false msrps.

In case anyone was skimming this thread earlier and missed my post, c-bid is currently auctioning off single sticks of Padron 1926 No. 35's and they are quoting $18 as the msrp. And I've seen this done in other auctions as well, where they inflate the msrp's of cigars they are selling. If anyone here can tell me honestly that lying about the msrp in an effort to ramp up the bidding is a fair business practice then you've got issues.

I spoke with someone at cigar bid customer service to point out the error on the website with the 1926 No. 35 msrp, and she gave me an email address to send a link with the MSRP info. However when I went on Padron's actual website I can't find the 1926 cigar anywhere on there! Does anyone have a link to some type of official msrp page for the 1926 series?

jgohlke, sorry but I will never support a company that purposely lies to it's customers. I don't care what kind of deal I can get or how much money I can save, my integrity and honor are not for sale.

jgohlke, sorry but I will never support a company that purposely lies to it's customers. I don't care what kind of deal I can get or how much money I can save, my integrity and honor are not for sale.
:thumbs:

I spoke with someone at cigar bid customer service to point out the error on the website with the 1926 No. 35 msrp, and she gave me an email address to send a link with the MSRP info. However when I went on Padron's actual website I can't find the 1926 cigar anywhere on there! Does anyone have a link to some type of official msrp page for the 1926 series?

I think you're wasting your time, Andy. There are way too many "mistakes" there for it to an error. Harris pointed out that they frequently list singles in with the boxes, too. I only found high dollar singles though, the price range a bargain hunter might pounce thinking its a box. If yall still want to surf cbid, go ahead. There are certainly some bargains to be had. You should know exactly what you're bidding on, though, and set your limit wisely.

Check this post: Padron 1926 Discussion The retail listed here is a penny off from where I work. :)

ok here are some out right lies:

"each of whom are limited to only 75 cigars per day" They were speaking about how many cigars are rolled a day by a particular roller at the Fuente factory. Not correct.

Description of an Anejo Many believe that A. Fuente Anejo Reservas are made with the identical filler and binder tobaccos as the Fuente Opus X. "

They have no knowledge of this it is pure inuendo to pimp the product.

They constanly show the wrong picture of the cigar they are selling.They constantly put singles in the box section to mis lead buyers.

They constantly use wrong msrps

They are spouting about a Padron 30th Aniversary series yet they are showing the 1964 Series. By the way wasn't the 40th anniverasy series?

Interesting points. I don't disagree with most of them. To me the issues some of you have with Cbid are more about incompetence and general sloppyness than malice. It's true they post the wrong pictures sometimes and they also screw up the descriptions and the price...The part we don't know is why? Are they crooks or just sloppy? I think they are just sloppy. Careful shoppers pay cut rate prices. We all get cut rate service too. It works for me.

To me it's all about price. All I want from Cbid is to get the cigars I purchased undamaged and in a timely fashion. The rest of it is just noise.

I always shop price. I don't care what they say about MSRP or whatever. For everything I buy. There is always a deal out there somewhere. And there is always the opportunity to overpay. Buyer beware. The stores all want to make money and EVERY salesman is a liar.

The description issue is another thing. It's broke. Since I don't use their site for research or as a reference, it doesn't affect me, but it's still broke. It is overly sloppy in my opinion....but not malicious.

On the other hand if you read through the cigar catalogs, you'd think every cigar they sell is handcrafted by a master roller with first generation Cuban seed with a smoke so thick and creamy it's like floating on a cloud. It's all BS to some degree.

Hey, not everybody is an auction shopper. Not everybody goes to the dollar store or to the flea market. To each his own. If you don't like it, shop somewhere else. That's totally cool. There are several stores I just don't shop in because they have PO'd me at some point in the past. IMHO - I don't think Cbid is a scam....but hey, maybe I'm wrong.

Cheers,
joe

I guess I am just looking at this the wrong way. If I go in and see someone is getting some smokes a few bucks or more under MSRP, I dont bid. Let a BOTL get a few deals. It is an auction for crying out loud. I guess I thought that was the point! I was wrong! :(

I think they would like us to believe it is an auction that is run "fair and square". Given all of the deceptions, misinformation and mistakes, are we 100% certain that there aren't shills planted by C-Bid to run the prices of particular items up to a satisfactory level? But, maybe then, it is just the newblers running the price up I dunno. :0

Anyway, that said, I ocasionally buy from C-bid. Lower priced stuff always where I know what the other sites charge and it is still a good deal even including shipping costs. If it is not a good deal punt!

spelling edit

One thing that has never been mentioned with regard to the auction sites (not that I have seen anyway) is what is to keep CBid or others from "shilling" their own auctions to ensure that the price moves up? I would no tbe suprised if that happens. If the "shill" or fake bidder ends up winning then no big deal they know their price point and put it back on the block in a couple days, then only shill to that point if needed. I have never seen anything close for way below MSRP (true MSRP that is) which makes me think that on some items they "shill" the price up so they don't lose their shorts.

My .02

jgohlke, they are not sloppy, their lies are malicious and intentional.

I have no proof, but I would be willing to bet they have paid shills working that place all the time.

I bid on this this morning when it was worthwhile. I knew this would jump up, but it is still amazing that people will jump in and take all the sticks while overpaying. I am about to give up on cbid......again! :whistling:

Between The Lines

I hate to tell you. But you are buying the wrong sticks on C-bid. If your taste only allows you to smoke Graycliff, Padron or AF you indeed are wasting your time. I don't even bother looking at those brands on there.

If however, your tastes allow you to smoke Gurkha's or IT sticks there are plenty O' deals to be found.

BTW: The key to CBID is knowing what the "normal internet" price is...(NOT Retail) and never bidding over 60% of that....I've purchased lots of stuff at what I consider an Excellent deal. Less than a buck or two a stick is always a great deal. Especially when you're not paying what are normally higher tobacco tax rates in other states.

In response to those who think CBID lies??

The pictures aren't always the exact product and they tell you to read the product description. - How is that a lie or deception?

Look familiar?
"Image indicative of product.
See description for exact detail."

The singles are ALWAYS listed under boxes. -Where would you have them put? I'm sure you would have a problem if they listed them under 5-packs too. They always say "SINGLE" at the end of the description....How does one miss that?

I've noticed nothing in many many many bids that would lead me to think there is anything other than stupid people paying over retail.

They allow you to save on shipping costs by allowing you to have a weekly shipment, how is that bad? Their marketing spots for each product are simply marketing.

I've had nothing but a positive experience dealing with CBID and none of my buddies have had anything but a positive experience. I've never had a bad product or product substitution.

I think there are a few of you being way too critical of Cbid.

In response to those who think CBID lies??

The singles are ALWAYS listed under boxes. -Where would you have them put? I'm sure you would have a problem if they listed them under 5-packs too. They always say "SINGLE" at the end of the description....How does one miss that?

My issue is simply bidders paying prices well over what they can get from any reputable source. And yes I am probably looking at the wrong sticks, however, same issue still applies.

*edited because I cannot read well!*