• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Any Good House Brands?

Qualls07

token pipe smoker
Reaction score
I am a relatively new cigar smoker, I have smoked pipes for a couple years, and I was wondering if anyone could recomend a company that sells a decent house brand cigar? I recently bought a humidor from Thompson Cigars that came with a bundle of their cigars that were pretty rough. I was looking at the JR alternatives, but I read a previous post that warned me off of those. I have been smoking mostly assorted Romeo y Julieta and few Montecristos, but I'm a college student and am running out of spending cash pretty quick. I know I'm not going to find a great cigar for a buck a stick, I'm just looking a good cigar at a decent price. I would really appreciate any help.

There's tons of threads about good cheap sticks (just search), but here are a couple in the lower proce range:

Flor de Oliva is pretty darn good for about a buck a stick.

Chateau Fuente's at Serious are $70 with free shipping ($3.50 each) (one of my favorites)

I second the Chateau Fuente. Also, try the Padron Fumas for a good cheap everyday smoke.

Thanks for the suggestions. Has anyone tried Ferdinand and Isabella from Thompson? They were recomended by a guy I used to work with, but I never got to try one.

It's safe to say that if it's from Thompsons, you'll be hard pressed to find any good comments (they are pretty much universally hated by most).

Qualls07 - Greetings.

You won't get a better deal than a nO0bie sampler trade. You can pick the commitment you want to make (between $50 - 100.00) and what you'll get are hand picked, often aged sticks from a member who knows what's good and what isn't. For a new guy (like me) it's a no lose deal. I did one some months back and I have to say the traders are above fair with new guys. You can also do it as many times as you'd like.

Have to recommend it 107% as a great way to get started down the road in the right direction.

Best Regards - B.B.S.

Far and away the Newbie Sampler Trade is your best bet.

Then I'd put Top Shelf Del Sol bundles for the bang for your buck.

You've got some pretty good suggestions here already...

Definitely go sign up for a Newbie Sampler Trade

The first thing I would buy if I were you would be the Padron Fumas. If you do a search here on CP you will find a few threads discussing these in detail. I honestly believe that they are the best cigar you can get for under a dollar.

I'll agree on the Chateau Fuentes. The sungrowns in this vitola are one of my favorite Fuentes.

You might want to check out LaLuna cigars as well. Most of their stuff is medium/ full or full bodied but the beaner selects are a milder line. I'm a big LaLuna fan and the prices are great. HERE is a link to the LaLuna website. If you decide to order something just give them phone call.

For the minority vote, I'll put in for Old Fashioneds and Consuegras. Also, check out the Mr. Bundles web site. I think his smokes are pretty decent.

If you can get them for a good price, try CigarBid for the Perdomo Millenario seconds, but I think word's gotten around on them. For a mild cigar, I got a box of the Hoyo Excalibur Sterling (is that right? they're buried at the bottom of the cooler) for $104 locally, and there are 40 sticks in the box. Oh, and Mr. Bundles has the Padilla Hybrid Churchill on special; great smoke.

But definitely do the NST. A $50 investment will get you a grundle of great sticks. At least it'll give you an idea of what you want to save your student loan
money for. :D

mhortsch said:
Connie 9, buck a stick
[snapback]222630[/snapback]​

This is definitely a great one for the price, Cigardawg has got me hooked on these since I got some from him. The are great for my working outside smokes, too bad they are almost all gone now, just about time to restock.

La Vieja Habana fumas, $26/ box for 20 sticks. They are a safe buy as they have more consistency than alot of the bundles that I have tried.

La Floridita bundles are a good choice as well.

What is a connie 9 and where can I find them? I did a couple of searches, but all I could find was people recommending them, not where I could find them. I am newbie here and am not very good at finding stuff here yet.

What is a connie 9 and where can I find them? I did a couple of searches, but all I could find was people recommending them, not where I could find them. I am newbie here and am not very good at finding stuff here yet.

Connie 9 is the Rothschild sized Consuegra cigar, they come in natural or maduro wrappers and can be purchased a jrcigars.com. They are a great deal for a $1/ stick.

I think the best value out there is a bundle of Flor de Olivas for about 27 bucks. At just over a dollar a smoke, this is one heck of a good deal in my opinion. Even with price aside, these are just flat out good cigars. By the way, the maduros go for about 33 bucks or so.

If you like full bodied smokes, I'd give an El Mejor a try. You can find these at cigar international for abou 2 bucks a pop. I got a couple boxes of these smokes for about $1.70 each. I really like them and consider them also a VERY good value!

hey there.
i'm also a college student. i had enough money before, but now i'm poor. Newbie Sampler Thread is probably the way to go. As for the cheaper stuff, what these guys said is true. Toranos used to be cheaper, but now they're fairly expensive (on our budgets). THat's probably the one i'd add to the list.