• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Assuage my fears, please?

firemarth

Alrighty, got me a small 20-cigar humidor. I believe I seasoned it well, as it is holding its humidity fine. I have an analog hygrometer that I salt-test calibrated, and it currently reads 72%, but I'm judging that as a slight discrepancy since I'm using a humidity gel jar in the humidor, which is designed to hold it right at 70%. I'm not worried much there.

I just smoked a cigar that had been sitting in the humidor for two days that I received via mail-order (Don Tomas Candela). At its halfway point it kept going out on me, which seems like a sign that the cigar was too moist.
However, I have a cigar that has been in my humidor for a little over a week now (Graycliff G2) that has its wrapper peeling in the center of it, which I take as a sign of a DRY cigar.

None of the other cigars in my humidor seem dry OR moist. I'm just thinking that the Candela may have been wrapped badly (or is there something with Claro wrappers that upsets the burn?), and knowing that I may have handled some of the cigars roughly moving them in and out of the humidor as I was seasoning it, that may be the reason the G2 is peeling (a couple of my other cigars have slight chips at the foot as well.)

I'm sure they're fine, but I'm just hoping that someone can assuage my fears and tell me all is well. And if not, any suggestions?

It might be a little too moist, it is really easy to get a small humi that way. Switch to beads, you can move to a lower level if your box is real good at retaining moisture. Your smokes should be ok though.

Usually I also see smokes that are too moist, unravel when smoking as well.

Please head HERE first and tell us a little about yourself. Once you do that, I'm sure more answers with be coming. Welcome aboard.

Remember, that not all cigars are the same. Different cigars smoke better at different Rh levels. I would recommend meeting in the middle somewhere. Generally anywhere from 60 - 72 Rh is where most people keep their smokes. I know I keep mine between 64 - 68. If I were you I would do the following:

1) Get a little larger humidor to start with, something like a 100 count. Cheaphumidors.com have them at a really low price point. Hell you could even get one of there scratch and dent ones for like 40 - 70 bucks.
http://www.cheaphumidors.com/HUM-75DR-IMP.html
http://www.cheaphumidors.com/HUM-100DC-IMP.html

2) As stated above, get some Humidity Beads. I personally have used the 70%Rh Heartfelt beads and couldn't be happier.

3) Please make sure to introduce yourself. It's only proper, before you start asking for help :)

Any whoo welcome to the forums, have fun, read, learn, and smoke many fine cigars.

Would you like a Swedish assuage or erotic?

All assuages come with a happy ending.

Two days isn't very long for a cigar to re-acclimatize. Two weeks would probably be better. Also a lot of mail order cigars places tend to ship their cigars pretty wet so that is something to keep in mind also.

Look into a digital hygrometer and check out the beads everybody is recommending, they really do work great. Might as well look up cool-a-dor while you are at. 20 count seems adequate to start but.......

Please make sure to stop by the "Introduce Yourself Here" forum and introduce yourself.

Introduced myself here.
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. But I wanted to ask, whats the difference between the humidity beads and the humidity gel jar that I'm using?

By humidity gel jar, I mean something like this: http://www.cigarsinternational.com/proddisp.asp?item=M-HMC05-2

Introduced myself here.
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. But I wanted to ask, whats the difference between the humidity beads and the humidity gel jar that I'm using?

By humidity gel jar, I mean something like this: http://www.cigarsinternational.com/proddisp.asp?item=M-HMC05-2
The biggest difference is that the beads add AND subtract humidity. Gel only adds. Also, there are more options as far as what humidity level you can select. Beads come in 65% and 70%. So if you had 70% beads they would be able to adjust the 72% down to 70%.

Thanks for all the help.
I just recalibrated my hygrometer, and it turns out it was a couple of percentage points too high, so the humidity in the box seems to have been decent all along.
I'm gonna look into those beads, though, just to see.

Analog hygrometers are notorious for their inaccuracies and inability to maintain calibration. Invest in a digital hygrometer and beads at the same time - you will not regret it in the long run.