• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Best Value Bourbon

What!? Nobody is going to recommend Old Grand-Dad!? I thought for sure AVB would've thrown it out there. ???

Seriously, don't let the $17ish price tag fool you...buy the 100 proof "Bottled in Bond" version or the 114 proof (just skip the regular 86 proof one). OGD is very rye-heavy, so if you try it and like, then you'll also want to try some straight rye whiskeys as well (like Wild Turkey Rye or Sazerac).

It is bottled by Kentucky Bourbon Distillers which is the rebuilding of the old Willett distillery. While they are producing product they shouldn't have any 10yo stock as of yet so in all likelihood they did purchase the whiskey from Heaven Hill and bottled it at KBD. JMO

Thanks Rene, I know what it is now.

Is this one distilled at the old Heaven Hill distillery?

Rene

I just wanted to tell you all that I'm in Kentucky, so if anyone is having trouble finding a bourbon they want to try, we may be able to work something out.

That being said, I'm definitely on a Four Roses Small Batch kick right now. I tried it for the first time a couple of weeks before attending this year's Bourbon Festival. I think it has the smoothest finish of any bourbon I've had. It's nice and sweet, without too much of that strong oak flavor, so a newer bourbon drinker could probably handle it. The last bottle I picked up was $27.79, an excellent value, in my opinion. Try it with a cube of ice, as it seems to really bring out the aroma. Ooh, that sounds delicious...

[break to go pour myself a glass]

Buffalo Trace is another excellent choice. Compared to the Small Batch above, I think it's less sweet, and slightly stronger on the finish. Still a must-buy. I always keep some of this in the cabinet!

I know a lot of people like the Heaven Hill products (Evan Williams, Elijah Craig, etc.). To me, it seems that they all, even their top-of-the-line, limited edition releases, have a wood finish that just doesn't suit my palette. I really hate it, because most of these are priced very well.

I'm a huge fan of the Evan Williams Single Barrel as my go to decanter on the counter bourbon. Flavor and smoothness are hard to beat for it's $22 price tag.