• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Best way to store cigars for aging

cigars415

I have a couple humidors...one I open frequently and the other that is larger (holds 500), the Havana Foot Locker, that I plan to keep my boxes in. It will hold quite a few, especially if I opt not to use the shelves inside. I have two Xikar 250's and right now have a third in the bottom. 

My question is though...I have read that keeping them in their closed boxes is ideal so they can age next to the same cigars VS have them all the different brands in them. 

For this last point...would it make sense to take cigars out of their cellos and back in their boxes. Say for instance this box of Davidoff Nicaraguans that I have that are in cellos. From what I have read it would make sense to take them out of the cellos, put them back in their box, put back in the humidor and forget about for a year.

Is this all sounding right? Is it ok to age cigars this way? 

Please let me know if I am way off. I am also wondering in general what the ideal deal humidor I should use to age my cigars before I buy anymore boxes. I am looking at some of these end table style humidors...any suggestions on brands and humidity systems I should consider. I like what vigilant is doing but seeing some cheaper end table style in the 300 range. 

If I went that route and could use the saved money for a high quality humidity system. 

Any recommendations here are most appreciated. 

Thanks in advance!

I age at 69-70% with a nice amount of airspace too. Cigars start losing oleoresins under 69%. Regarding cello on or off, that is debatable, no real scientific data that I've ever found. I like to keep Cello on as it affords an extra layer of protection. I like to think of it as being like a little bottle of wine, aging in it's own little environment.

Like MadMonk, I also keep my aging cigars at around 70%. I do not take the cello off and leave the cigars in the box they came in. The ideal humidor is one where you could control the temperature as well as the humidity. A lot of the members here have cabinets with such systems or wine coolers turned into "wineadors".

BTW - head to http://www.cigarpass.com/forums/forum/34-introduce-yourself-here/ and introduce yourself!

It depends. I tend to age my boxes (and by age, I mean 5+ years) in the 60-65% range at no higher then 70 degrees. It's a slower process, but one that works well for preserving flavor.

You have to understand that it's an extremely YMMV question. Some swear by 70%, but I live in a very wet climate, so smoking anything at that level ruins the taste. 

Cello on or cello off....it is the great question of our time...... ;)

cello_off_zpse5846fcb.jpg

It is very much like cello on and cello off, and it really does depend.

Don't forget, RH is relative to temperature so moisture content changes depending on temp.

I'm holding steady at 65/65. However, I think that in my location (southeast US) I may be better to store them at 67/67  or  68/68 for smoking and keep them at 65/65 for resting/aging.

I will note that Habanos, SA recommends

16 Celsius = 60.8 Fahrenheit
To
18 Celsius = 64.4 Fahrenheit

And RH of 65% to 70%

63/67 = midpoint

So, what you gonna do?

Take your best shot and smoke 'em if you got 'em.

IMHO 70% is way way too high. I hate the idea of moldy cigars because I stuck on the mindset that 70% is the correct %. I have found that 60-66% is ideal for me.

I keep a small walk in closet humidor for the boxes that I'm aging and a medium sized cabinet for my ready to smoke cigars. If the cigars came in cello they stay in cello in the box. I TRY and say try because its tough for me to age any cigars that are smoking well at around 60 - 62 humidity range.

My cabinet with the ready to smoke cigars are kept at 65. 

The temperature ranges from about 60 to 65 in the winter to about 67-70 in the summer. 

Personally I feel that humidity at 70 is too high but thats my opinion. Everyone keeps theirs at different levels and you have to go with what you like. 

BlindedByScience said:
Cello on or cello off....it is the great question of our time...... ;)

Actually, what about cedar wrappers?

To the OP, I pay others to age em.  I smoke em.

Everything I own are in two refrigerators so they all get stored the same. The only way that works for me to store cigars for aging is to hide them way in the back of the refrigerator so I only see them when I reorganize. And even that don't always help.

I've buried mine in old coffee cans, in the backyard.  I find the ground temperature stays pretty constant, so they age better that way.

bfreebern said:
I've buried mine in old coffee cans, in the backyard.  I find the ground temperature stays pretty constant, so they age better that way.
I just happen to be in your neighborhood with a shovel :0

I have two main cabinets, my long term aging cab is at 65/65, and works very well. My smoking cabinet is at 68/68, and I dry-box for several days at 62 before I smoke them. Works for me...

By the way, what is cello? :rolleyes:

CigSid said:

I have two main cabinets, my long term aging cab is at 65/65, and works very well. My smoking cabinet is at 68/68, and I dry-box for several days at 62 before I smoke them. Works for me...

By the way, what is cello?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLKOgTG8RMs

grateful1 said:

By the way, what is cello?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLKOgTG8RMs

Ahhh, thank you Gary... It is all starting to make sense now :0

"what about cedar?"

Cedar is much like cello - some leave it on, some swear by taking it off.

I take it off. I have found slight mold under cedar and I believe the cigars were properly stored. Some might say Anejos are known to have such issues.
The main reason that I take it off is because the cedar imparts a flavor that I don't care for.

I know, it's supposed to be wonderful, etc. Unless someone can show me something other than anecdotal evidence of that fact I will continue to believe that cedar is there simply for marketing purposes.

CP does not delete posts...that's why you were unable to delete yours.

As for cedar sleeves.  It all comes down to personal preference.  Like you, many of the guys remove to sleeves to reduce the risk of mold developing.  I however store my cigars between 60-65 rh, so I always leave the cedar sleeves on.  

For aging purposes, I would imagine it depends entirely on how much cedar flavoring you like in your cigars.  From past experience, cigars that are left to age in their cedar sleeves take on more of the cedar flavoring.  Definitely noticeable when you smoke the cigar.

thechenman said:
CP does not delete posts...that's why you were unable to delete yours.

For some reason, after editing, the only comment I would have been able to make would have appeared that I was quoting someone else. Misquoting someone or attributing my statement to them is something I will not do.

I keep my cigars at around 70% as well. best way for you to do is keep them in the cello.