• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Big Boar Hunting trip two week away

Ironworker

CP's Official Construction Contractor
I have been waiting for this trip for almost 10 months and now it's finally here.

I have hunted Boar a few times and have yet to fill my tag.
this years hunt is at tejon ranch in the So. California wilderness.
this ranch has some of the biggest Boars in the nation and the success rate is about 60%.
I will be taking my 16 yr old son with me and this will be his first ever hunt.
Here are a couple pictures of boar taken this past year on the ranch.

101_0115.JPG

stevenandpigdogs.JPG

these hogs are fat and nasty and need a top quality 30+ caliber bonded bullet to bring em down.

Wish me luck.

Rich

Good Luck!

Love to Hunt. Looking at joining a locale Club here in NJ.

How does Boar Taste? Any different than the pork you get from the store?

DG

Awww, you'd shoot Piglet?

Only if I get to eat 'em too! Good hunting!

I would say it's a good sign when you see these laying around.

post-16-1137736017.jpg

NO THAT'S NOT A GIANT ACORN!!!

Damn, look at those beasties.
Oh, and yes, boar tastes much, much better than storebought pork. The gaminess lends a wonderful flavor-quality that you simply can't find in factory meat. I don't eat pork anymore, but wild boar used to be some of my favorite game-meat.

Ironworker...30+ caliber is the minimum on large boar, isn't it? What are you using? Large boar=large bore?

Damn that's a big animal - what is the weight for something that big - how do you get it back to camp? - I think I would sh*t myself if I saw something that big coming at me - Do you eat the meat? I have never hunted, therefore the questions -

Congratulations. I wish we had hogs that big here in Arkansas. I am also very curious what you are using to hunt them. I recently bought a rather large pistol for the little ones here.

Fortunately California has the best Boar hunting anywhere.
I carry a Weatherby 300 Mag with a Nikon Buck Master 4.5 x14 x 40mm Scope.
Bullets are Nosler Ballistic with a polycarbonate tip.
I dropped a Mule deer from 275 yards with an exit wound of 3-1/2 inches last summer.
Just for back up I have a Ruger 44 mag holstered just in case I have to track a wounded boar into thick brush. i couldn't imagine anything worse than having a pissed off 250lb Boar charging you at 35 mph.

Those boars in the pictures above are ranging from 200 to 275 lbs.
The big bad ass mo-fo's aren't very good eating but make great mounts. A good eating pig is around 80 - 150 lbs and can either be a Boar or a Sow doesn't matter.

mmmmmm! wild boar, hog heaven! :p

Best of luck on your hunt! I've always wanted to hunt boar. Sounds like a great time.

Ironworker said:
Fortunately California has the best Boar hunting anywhere.

The big bad ass mo-fo's aren't very good eating but make great mounts. A good eating pig is around 80 - 150 lbs and can either be a Boar or a Sow doesn't matter.
[snapback]279753[/snapback]​

Agree with everything except Cali having the best Boar hunting. You know everything is bigger in Texas. :D :p

A very destructive animal with very hard to maintain population control. We have a pack rooting up some property I lease for duck/goose hunting. They have totally ripped this place up. Its unbelievable how much damage they can do to the land.

About a month ago I had invited some friends to duck hunt with me and we stayed in the camp trailer. About 4am one of the guest woke me to say he heard a lot of strage noises coming from our storage barn area so we grabbed the rifle and walked to within about 100 yards of the barn. What we had was about 15 to 20 pigs looking for food. I had judged the biggest boar to be around 250 but being still dark and only having the silhouette to judge I wasn't real confident of my estimate. I gave the rifle to one of my guest and told him he had three options. Shoot the biggest one which wouldn't be worth a damn to eat.... shoot a piglet which are subperb table fare.... or do nothing because if he shoots a pig we'd have to clean it which means we wouldn't make our morning duck hunt. He decided he wanted to duck hunt so he passed on the shot.

Fast forward to last weekend I was talking to the owner of the property and told him about our encounter with the pack of pigs and he told me that his grandson and friends had killed a boar the weekend before that went just shy of 300 lbs. I'm betting that his grandson shot the big boar we had seen a few weeks prior and estimated at 250.

Best of luck on your hunt and good for you sharing the experience with your son. You're creating memories that he will never forget even long after yu are gone. :thumbs:

Looking into a canned hunt here in PA for boar. Tioga County has a big outfit out that way for boar and a few other animals.

Wow, those are some big animals! Looks like a lot of fun. Good luck to you.

Right On!
Have a GREAT time, and bag a big bastard...

Looks like a fun trip

Good luck with the hunt. We have plenty of smaller ones here with the occasional beast.

Good luck on the hunt, I have been dying to go on a big game hunt especially for boar. Perhaps next year, I hear there is a long wait for the good spots. Be sure to post pics of your record boar.

CYG

Real men bow hunt :D

J/K -I have done some wild boar hunting but only with a bow. In fact, I don't rifle hunt at all anymore. Elk and deer mainly.

Enjoy your hunt, I'm sure you will.

jason