• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Bird Watchers

View attachment 55341
I had to do a fair bit of photoshop on this one to correct it. The shadows were very dark and features disappeared.
I’m not a lover of those birds. I’ve had my fair share of them intrude into openings at eaves, soffits, and vents. They descend on my suet/feeders, and decimate them faster than squirrels ever can. Then they bully and chase off the other songbirds.

I’m not a lover of those birds. I’ve had my fair share of them intrude into openings at eaves, soffits, and vents. They descend on my suet/feeders, and decimate them faster than squirrels ever can. Then they bully and chase off the other songbirds.
Yep! That’s the ones! 🤣

I know this is a thread dedicated to birding, but there is some serious coventry catfish noodling happening too
He’s not even here to defend himself…. I’ll have to wake him up and send him by, seeing as how we’re noodling him! That way we can roast his ass live! 😎

He’s not even here to defend himself…. I’ll have to wake him up and send him by, seeing as how we’re noodling him! That way we can roast his ass live! 😎
Don't look now....

The majority of the birds at my bird bath and feeder are Starlings. I figure it's not their fault that they are shit birds, so I leave them alone. Same with squirrels, I've got a metric shit ton of squirrels, use cayenne in the feeder to at least try to keep them off that.

Yesterday morning was beautiful, saw Blue Jays, Robins, two Cardinals, a bunch of Western Kingbirds, and an actual Red Headed Woodpecker. And of course Starlings, Grackles, Sparrows, and Finches.

I stopped purchasing any bird seeds with corn/cracked corn, and fillers like milo and millet. I stick to single ingredient feeders ( sunflower , striped sunflower, safflower) and then a feeder with a premium seed mix of nut & dried fruit without all the filler seeds - it has greatly reduced the starlings/crows/grackles issue, while increasing the songbirds.

Last edited:
If you use pure sunflower seeds here, the Redwing Blackbirds and squirrels will clean them out. My dad used to use sunflower seeds pretty much exclusively. I'd probably trade Starlings for Red Wing Blackbirds, but the water is still going to attract everybody.

If you use pure sunflower seeds here, the Redwing Blackbirds and squirrels will clean them out. My dad used to use sunflower seeds pretty much exclusively. I'd probably trade Starlings for Red Wing Blackbirds, but the water is still going to attract everybody.

I solved the squirrel issues with squirrel baffles on the posts, and positioning the feeders away from overhanging branches to deter attacks from above.

The larger bird issues (Blue Jays instead of Red Wing Blackbirds ) required purchasing feeders with smaller perches.

Suet feeders get hot pepper dipped suet, which deter the pesky red squirrels and other squirrels , unless we get a lot of rain which washes the hot pepper coating off.

It takes a little trial and error, but the feeders get topped off every 3 or 4 days versus every 12 hours!