• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Blued Vs. Stainless finish...

Dr. Marneaus

I drive a station wagon
Reaction score
Well, I have come here for firearms wisdom before, and I am returning now.

I'll be purchasing a Marlin Guide Gun, in .45-70 later this week, my reasons for wanting this particular gun are some what ridiculous but lets just say I love lever guns, and I want something that goes BOOM.

Anyway, I finally located one in town, at a great price. However....they have a both a blued and stainless version of this rifle. Uh-oh! what should I do!?

I love the look of the stainless, it's more durable (wont scratch off) and is more resistant to corrosion.

Blued is...well...classic...and cheaper by about 80 bucks.

What would you do? And why?

The gun will see a lot of safe time....and some range/bench time. I do not hunt actually, although I will in the future, and I'm going to be getting into reloading before too long. The .45-70 cartridge has great potential for reloading from what I've seen/read, so that's a plus. I've wanted this particular caliber for quite some time, just because, and I want a rifle that I'll be happy with and proud of.

So....your .2 cents on the stainless vs. blued debate?

Personally i love the looks of stainless, glad you know that stainless doesn't mean corrosion proof,
Both finishes pretty much do the same thing with stainless being a little more freindly finish wise.

I have heard people claim that stainless is a much better fit in a higher humidity environment, but Ive heard arguments against this also.
Just make sure you keep up with proper maintenance on either finish and it will be great.

So to me its all a matter of which do you like the looks of best, if you like the look of stainless save the money to get the gun you want!

Call me old fashioned, but I buy a gun for utility not because it look's pretty. If it were me I'd go blued.

Nice choice by the way. That gun is one of several on my "to buy" list.

Nice gun btw... I would say it really comes down to personal preference here. If you are spending the cash on the gun, and have wanted it for so long, then get the one you really want. If it is the Blued spend the 80 dollars. If not, then go with the Stainless. Both look great. Just make sure you aren't making your decision based on the 80 dollars.

My 2 Cents

Nick

The classic question. Does form follow function or do looks rule the day? For the most part I would say it was a personal choice, if you like the stainless will you ever be happy with the blued? Conversely, were you to go with the blued you could spend the extra mullah on some ammo. Also, have you considered getting both? Then your question is irrelevant.

I know this reply is kind of starting to wander, so to summarize. If you're looking for that bling factor I would recommend getting the blued and purchasing one of these (Click My Link) to pimp the rifle up a bit.

As has been said, buy the one you like best and if it's the stainless one, don't fret the difference in cost.

It it were to be a "working" weapon (hunts, lots of outside time, etc.) stainless does have some advantages. However, keep in mind that very often, there may be internal parts that aren't stainless.

I have two wheel guns that are stainless and the fronts of the cylinders seem to clean up a little easier.

I ended up with a Winchester 1892 Short, which is a nice complement to my Ruger Redhawk as both shoot .44 Mag. It's my youngest son's fave rifle...
smile.gif

Have fun - B.B.S.

My hunting rifles are stainless. It costs a bit more, is more corrosion resistant and offers no disadvantages... other than looks. Blued is beautiful.

I have a Marlin .22 autoloader that got some surface rust from being dragged about in the muck (and my less than stellar care); I've preferred stainless since.

A Marlin 336SS (30-30 levergun in stainless) is on my short list as well.

Thanks for the opinions.

Everything I have read about this debate, and all the people I have asked are split almost 50/50 on the topic, haha. I guess its all just personal preference in the end. I suppose I'll go down to the shop tomorrow and decide right then and there, then pull the trigger (no pun intended).

I'm loving the stainless for the durability and whatnot, but I feel like a lever gun just should be blued....plus it would match my little henry .22, haha.

As it turns out the blued rifle was in .450 marlin...so.....I obviously didnt go that route. And, the difference was only 60 bucks.

I'm all excited! I cant wait to shoot this bad boy.

I've seen a lot of guns, but the most beautiful gun I've ever seen is my Grandfather's Colt 38 detective's special. It's snub noise, blue, and has a black pearl handle. So I'd go with the blued, but that's just MHO. :cool: