• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Bought my first Mac

:Monty:

As a long time PC fan-boy I'm surprised at my most recent impulse purchase. Ive never had a laptop before; I always spent my money on powerful desktop rigs for gaming and sim-racing. Ive been spending less time in front of my desktop the last year or so and doing most of my email checking and surfing on my iphone. Well portability has gotten the better of me and I pulled the trigger on a 13" Macbook Pro. Its a llittle tough to get used to but so far I like what i see. Any must know tips?

I love my Mac. I sold all my desktops and pc laptops after I got it. That was 3 years ago.

That's exactly what I was going to post -- install Virtual box. It blows away parallels and it's free. Good luck with the Mac. I've had my MacBook Pro for about 2 years and it works great.

It's amazing how polarizing this shit is. To me its just another fancy picture box, just as functional as my iphone or PC. I think both work great, I never viewed it as I had to have one or the other. As far as functionality as a platform for programming or whatever people in the computer business do, I have no idea. To me its just a laptop and does the exact same thing as a windows based laptop for my needs. I guess I bought it because it was shiny... :)

edit: grammar

Over time you will find that it is built a hell of a lot better than budget PC laptops from HP or Dell. Solid, solid machines. Apple's warranty service is also second to none. If you ever have a problem, you can walk into an Apple Store and they will take care of you (or, they will overnight you a box to pack it up and overnight it back to them for repair). Be sure to get the AppleCare extended warranty on it (extends it to 3 years from the original date of purchase), it will increase the resale value tremendously if you ever decide to sell it and upgrade to a newer model. Let me know if/when you decide to do that, I can get you a deal on it.

This is important: If you ever spill liquid on the keyboard (or anywhere where the liquid can get inside the machine), unplug the MagSafe from the laptop and hold the power button down (3-4 seconds) to shut it off as fast as humanly possible. This will hopefully prevent it from shorting out and frying the logic board, which your warranty does not cover. Use an air duster to blow out the water around the keyboard, and the back vent. If you are able, unscrew the 10 bottom screws and remove the bottom plate, and blow out any moisture you see. Let it dry for 5-6 hours before plugging it back in and restarting it.

If you ever have any specific Mac questions, shoot me a PM :thumbs: