• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

BRPIB Reviews

Nicely done, BT.

I enjoy one of these with a sungrown wrapper once in a while. Never been a big fan of the CT shade or maduro though.

Nicely done, BT.

I enjoy one of these with a sungrown wrapper once in a while. Never been a big fan of the CT shade or maduro though.

x2! :thumbs: I've had the same burn issues on the CF's maddies.

I think I'm going through my sun grown phase now. :laugh:

Jumping ahead a little bit here...cuppajack and CasaSoho should be posting their reviews some time this week (I need to get in touch with Jeff about his), but I want to put fingers to keys on the mystery cigar Matt sent me while it's fresh in my mind and I have the time to do it. Apologies for the crummy pictures - my winter smoking spot is kinda dark.

Without further ado...

Prelight:

IMG_1077.jpg

This is a well and firmly constructed robusto sized cigar with a triple cap and a little box pressing. The wrapper has a nice oily sheen to it. It is a little darker toward the foot than toward the head, and has some small nicks in it, which don’t appear severe enough to hamper what’s to come. The is one small green water spot on the wrapper as well.

Aromas of good tobacco at the foot, with sweet cocoa notes wafting off the wrapper.

It cut quite easily and evenly. The initial draw is a little tighter than I prefer, but not so much that it will detract from the overall smoking experience. There are hints of cocoa, and strong pepper flavors. Lots of strong pepper flavors.

The smoking:

IMG_1082.jpg

Toasts up and takes light easily.

While medium bodied, this is a VERY strong cigar. The first few puffs are loaded with pepper, with some nice cinnamon undertones. Lots of nicotine! The ash is light/medium gray.

After the first inch it starts to smooth out a bit – less pepper and more cocoa. There’s the occasional bitter citrus note on the finish. The draw begins to open up in the third inch.

This is a fine cigar. Potent, with good flavors. In time I think it might become more complex, which would be a plus for me. I will definitely buy some and put them down to try in a few years if they’re available.

IMG_1085.jpg

Around the second to last inch, there’s a crackling sound, and the wrapper starts to split. I can see the binder swelling under it – the perils of smoking in the colder months. Most of the wrapper continues to burn, but it’s getting a touch bitter with the other flavors fading, so I put it to rest.

Last thoughts before the unveiling:

IMG_1087.jpg

This has been an enjoyable smoking experience. While not an exceedingly complex cigar, it has some very pleasant flavors.

If I had a gun to my head, I would say that this is probably a youngish Cuban of some sort, because there are a lot of clues pointing me in that direction…but I'm not completely convinced...something's nagging at me - Pepin Garcia has been doing some interesting stuff with very good quality Nic tobacco in the last couple of years. I really don’t know.

Drum roll please...

IMG_1089.jpg

TATUAJE HAVANA VI (Robusto or Hermoso?)

Thanks Matt, for an interesting and enjoyable hour and change. I will definitely smoke these again. :)

something's nagging at me - Pepin Garcia has been doing some interesting stuff with very good quality Nic tobacco in the last couple of years. I really don’t know.

Very nice review and a good call at the end. The size was a Nobles. I have had similar experiences in the last inch with cigar and haven't been able to nub one yet.

A very engaging review, Tim. :thumbs:

What else is there to say? The various Tatuaje lines are well made, good to great smokes "in the Cuban tradition."

Wilkey

This is a cool idea and the reviews are very well done, kudos to everyone involved!

Judging from his profile, and the reviews I’ve read that he has written, Burnt Tongue and I have fairly similar tastes in cigars and I was looking forward to smoking the blind-stick. However, I don’t usually smoke Churchill-sized cigars, so I had to clear an afternoon on Saturday to sit down with it.

47wtqi1.jpg

The stick was about 7x50 with a dull chocolaty wrapper with some veins and lots of tooth. The stick had a slight box-press and it felt very solidly constructed. I sat down with a tall mug of dark-roast coffee and a glass of ice water and clipped the head. The pre-light draws were easy and slightly sweet with a subtle hint of cloves. The beast sucked up the flame and was soon happily roasting away.

The initial pulls were full-flavored and slightly spicy on the lips, but on the thin-side of where I like the mouth-feel to be. There was a lot of punch in the stick and by the time I was half an inch in I could feel the nicotine rush building in my stomach. An inch in and the draw tightened a bit, the smoke volume increased to the “copious” side and the mouth-feel thickened up became very full.

4fvmrzb.jpg

The flavor profile stayed very consistent for the next 4-5 inches. It was interesting to smoke a stick of that size with out the expected ½-way point profile changes, though I found this to be a plus because the profile was very complex and it gave me time to really work-out what I was tasting. The major notes were wood, coffee, and that thick-and-full fermented tobacco taste that defies further classification. The finish was the most notable element of the profile; it was very assertive and long-lasting. The complexities in the smoke’s flavors were amplified in the finish and provided my fill of cocoa and rich earth notes.

48ynnk7.jpg

Between the box-press, wrapper color, and nicotine punch I thought that I might have been dealing with a Padron series smoke, and I figured it was well-aged from the complexity and smoothness. Does Padron have a Churchill in their base line? I wasn’t sure, but I would have put down money on it being a Padron Maddie of some ilk. Checking the band I discovered it was an “Oliva Master Blends 3 Churchill” and brand and line that I was unfamiliar with. Some research revealed that it is a Nicaraguan filler/binder wrapped in a Ecuadorian sun-grown leaf. The sun-grown wrapper surprised me as the cigar didn’t look or taste like any sungrown I’d had before, but the Nicaraguan heritage was what I was expecting. I’ll defiantly have to look into more “Master Blend 3” smokes as this one certainly lived up to the manufacturer’s promise of complexity of flavors. I think with some more refinement to my pallet these smokes would be even better…

Very nicely done John!

Gonna hafta find me one of those to try.

John

That cigar has only been resting for about 10 months when I sent it to you. I am glad you enjoyed it!

Regards,
BT

Very competent review, Cuppa.

I really like how you broke out the flavors from the textural or body quality. Your detail and description were optimal for me.

I'm delighted to see you smoking and posting again. :thumbs:

Wilkey

Nice review Tim, I had one last night, pretty much had the same impression!!

And I have a Oliva MB 3 resting right now.

Great job guys!! :thumbs:

Very competent review, Cuppa.

I really like how you broke out the flavors from the textural or body quality. Your detail and description were optimal for me.

I'm delighted to see you smoking and posting again. :thumbs:

Wilkey

Thanks.

I'm glad to have the time to be smoking and posting again!

Great review cuppajack. I am smoking the MB3 Torp right now and my experience so far is much like yours. Very spicy to start but after the first inch it mellowed into a full bodied beauty. I personally much prefer this to the MB 2.

:thumbs: Jonas

Very nicely done Wilkey!

I thought it might prove an interesting comparison. :)

3 More to go (Jeff, Matt, and Cory, when he gets his package) and we'll put the 'ol BRPIB to bed (at least for awhile). It's been very cool to be a participant...

Thank you Tim for giving us the opportunity to reprise the blind reviews. It was a hell of an idea and handled well through the bumps and all.

I look forward to working with you on future projects!

Best,
Wilkey

Awesome review.

That sounds like quite the once-in-a-lifetime pairing!

Thanks for setting it all up Tigger!

Another great review, Wilkey! Very interesting how those two smokes compared. Kudos to you, Tim, for providing the "subjects" of the experiment!

It was fun playing along on this one! :thumbs: