• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Chicago cigar bars

mingkou

Does anyone know of any Chicago cigar bars? I am particularly interested in those that would be in the loop or more to the north side, though any near an El stop would be fine too.

I spend a few days there around Christmas each year. A lot of the bars allow cigars as of this last Dec. Just to smoke/eat, I would suggest Ditka's. Great food and a nice place to smoke.

A must visit just to browse and buy IMHO is Iwan Ries on wabash near the Palmer House. Great selection of cigars and a friendly staff (except one older man.......we call him Mr. Happy) They also have a large selection of pipes. www.iwanries.com

The Green Dolphin Room has live jazz and did have a humidor. You might want to check and make sure on the cigar friendliness. Haven't heard about them in a while.

We usually spend quite a bit of time in the Palmer House cigar bar on the lobby level of that hotel. Quite expensive drinks and outrageous cigar prices but for us it has always been a nice place. (take your own smokes)

I'm sure more people will have good ideas for you but whatever you decide, if you buy cigars get ready to pay a large amount in taxes. (Iwan Ries does pay some of this for you)

Have a great time. Chicago is one of my favorite cities to visit especially if you don't worry about the amount of money you spend on a nice trip.

I hope others can give you more ideas.

-------
bmickey9

Unfortunately the Chicago City Council passed a anti-smoking ordinance. Not sure what effect that will have on the cigar bars, but it can't be good...

ggiese said:
Unfortunately the Chicago City Council passed a anti-smoking ordinance. Not sure what effect that will have on the cigar bars, but it can't be good...
[snapback]282136[/snapback]​

As far as I know, it doesn't affect cigar bars. I think it is mostly for restaurants. I think my post was kind of vague though. When I mean cigar bars, I mean a bar where the emphasis is more cigars than booze. Even just cigar shops with chairs or couches will do.

You're not that far from Cigar King in Skokie - a great place to hang out, with a HUGE selection of cigars at a reasonable price (compared to downtown prices).

I think the ban is starting in resturants any time now but doesn't go into effect for bars till June. Deffinately check out Cigar King.

Another vote for Cigar King on Lincoln Ave in downtown Skokie. Probably only 20 min from downtown if no traffic. They also sell very nice accessories and even some great looking Swiss watches.

I read about CK in the Chicago Tribune a couple of months ago; supposedly they have a stash of pre-embargo Cuban tobacco.

I've had more than my share of cigars in P.J. Clarke's, about a block from the Sheraton Hotel, I think it's on State Street. Great hang-out too :thumbs:

Now if you get to the QCA we have a couple of good places: The Bier Stube's in Moline or the Village of East Davenport are great places for good beer and stogies.

DT

Any of the places mentioned above close to Schaumburg? I'll be there for work next week from the 6th-10th and not very familiar with the area. Any hints or suggestions for the area would be highly appreciated. Thanks, guys.

These Chicago guys sometimes have herfs at Fox and Hounds in Schaumburg, they have a cigar room I hear. I'm sure ggiese can tell you more about it.

Strayvector said:
Any of the places mentioned above close to Schaumburg? I'll be there for work next week from the 6th-10th and not very familiar with the area. Any hints or suggestions for the area would be highly appreciated. Thanks, guys.
[snapback]283513[/snapback]​

Fox and Hounds is on the west side of Schaumburg, off of Roselle Road. Very nice place - cigar smoking is encouraged (although, bring your own - the ones they sell are very expensive).

ggiese said:
Fox and Hounds is on the west side of Schaumburg, off of Roselle Road. Very nice place - cigar smoking is encouraged (although, bring your own - the ones they sell are very expensive).
[snapback]283518[/snapback]​

Thanks for the tip, gg...Let me know if you'd like to meet up one night next week.

Sam

Strayvector said:
ggiese said:
[snapback]283518[/snapback]​

Thanks for the tip, gg...Let me know if you'd like to meet up one night next week.

Sam
[snapback]283525[/snapback]​

Oh, boys... we have someone who wants to herf at Fox and Hounds next week... :D

Vector.

Im in.

I can also bring you that bottle of centenario you are looking for.
Sams is on the way to Fox and HOund for me. I think it was like $30 and some change..

LEt me know what day. Thursday looks best for me work wise.

The vast majority of Hotel Bars downtown allow cigars. I was at the lounge in the Sofitel a couple weeks ago, and it was fine there.

That being said, there isn't really too much in the way of actual "cigar bars."

Check metromix.com and you can search for bars that are cigar friendly. Most are in River North/Gold Coast or Downtown.

As for the smoking ban, it doesn't affect bars (more than 65% of their recipts from alcohol) until 2008.

My vote is for Iwan Ries. Amazing selection of cigars, a great big tv, and some nice room to smoke. Last August I had my first Avo Maduro there and it was absolutely delicious!

Darren

I'd love to meet up with all you Chicago guys. Tues, Wed, or Thursday night is doable for me. Let me know where and when and I'll be there.

Alex, would be great if you can pick one up for me. Thanks for offering to do it.

Hope to see you all next week,
Sam

fOX AND hOUND IN Schaumburg ?

Thursday works for me..

Anyone else?

Also let me know a.s.a.p so I can let other BOTL's on other sites know. They might want to head out.

alexgtp said:
fOX AND hOUND IN Schaumburg ?

Thursday works for me..

Anyone else?

Also let me know a.s.a.p so I can let other BOTL's on other sites know. They might want to head out.
[snapback]283676[/snapback]​

I gotta redo my schedule a bit, bit Thursday if a possibility for me too!!!