• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigar Bombing Etiquette

StogieFarts

Here are some questions that I have been pondering, but haven't seen asked before.

I have a few BOTL's in my scopes.....they are severely overdue for a little ass-kicking. My only problem is that my cigar collection is not that vast, both in quantity as well as diversity.

When bombing someone, does it matter WHAT you send them? If all you have to bomb is something that may not be what they want, is it the thought that counts?

I know that's a silly question, but it seems whenever I get bombed, they are all with new sticks I've never tried and I am blown away. They are also always from people with large collections and greater smoking experience. So if I want to send some smokes and all I have is the smokes I originally purchased and have extra, is it cool to send those as bombs?

I almost feel like I need to bomb people with all these sacred brands that are very hard to come by, and not something common......but again, being the over-analytical freak that I am, I worry about stuff like this.

So bottom line: is it the thought that counts regardless of the contents? I want to show my appreciation to certain people but don't have the mind-blowing sticks that many others have to repay them with.

This has been talked about many times. Search is your friend, if you can't find the answer after looking then PM me and I'll answer it.

First off, don't feel you need to bomb someone to repay them for bombing you. When I bomb, I do it without any expectations of retaliation....that's not what it's about. If you only have certain sticks and you want to share them with someone so they can try them, that's fine. Bombing isn't about keeping up with the next guy, it's about sharing something you have with someone else. Now, when you expand your collection and go to bomb someone, do a little research, see what they like, what they might want to try, or something they've been wanting, and hit them with that. When I first started bombing, I was just sending what I had to who I was hitting without doing any research. Since learning how to "properly" send a bomb, I personalize it towards the recipient.

So bottom line: is it the thought that counts regardless of the contents? I want to show my appreciation to certain people but don't have the mind-blowing sticks that many others have to repay them with.
Yes.

Noble sentiments and/or expressions of camaraderie have propelled the most meaningful bombs both to and from me. If you include a handwritten note expressing your appreciation it is a small man indeed who will not regard whatever you send as pure gold or, paradoxically, completely incidental to the thought itself.

Wilkey

Most here would not give expecting something in return.

However, a wise FOG here once said to me...... That he would rather have someone do his research and figure out what the intended target really likes.
He also said that he would rather have someone send one premium smoke than five that he really would not prefer. While this person definitely appreciates the gesture, he ultimately gives the everydays to the troops. While this would not offend me in the least, I would really like to send someone something I know they will enjoy. This would be my thought on someone really advanced and into premiums. They have been around the block and they know what is out there.

Someone who is a newb to cigars and CP is someone you send a little of everything. The idea is to let them sample cigars that they have not tried. This way they get to figure out what they like or dislike. There are plenty of good five dollar cigars out there as well as twenty dollar ones.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying to send a FOG all premiums or you wasting your time. I just think you have to put a little more thought into an experienced palate.

If you do not have the financial means, or the collection, just be patient. No one is counting the days since they bombed you wondering why you have not sent something in return. If they are, then they did it for the wrong reasons.

Give a man a fish or teach him how to fish?

First off, don't feel you need to bomb someone to repay them for bombing you. When I bomb, I do it without any expectations of retaliation....that's not what it's about. If you only have certain sticks and you want to share them with someone so they can try them, that's fine. Bombing isn't about keeping up with the next guy, it's about sharing something you have with someone else. Now, when you expand your collection and go to bomb someone, do a little research, see what they like, what they might want to try, or something they've been wanting, and hit them with that. When I first started bombing, I was just sending what I had to who I was hitting without doing any research. Since learning how to "properly" send a bomb, I personalize it towards the recipient.
Well stated Brian!

Bombing or gifting is all about the thought, not the gift. However, as Brian says, "personalize the gift towards the recipient"

Most guys send 5 sticks, I'm not sure how or who started this trend. IMHO, if you know that the recipient smokes mainly premium
cigars, send one or perhaps two premiums rather than 5 ok sticks. The gift to that particular BOTL/SOTL will be appreciated and the
stick/s will be smoked.

Brian

[
Well stated Brian!

Bombing or gifting is all about the thought, not the gift. However, as Brian says, "personalize the gift towards the recipient"

Most guys send 5 sticks, I'm not sure how or who started this trend. IMHO, if you know that the recipient smokes mainly premium
cigars, send one or perhaps two premiums rather than 5 ok sticks. The gift to that particular BOTL/SOTL will be appreciated and the
stick/s will be smoked.

Brian

Hmmm! I wonder who that wise FOG was. ???

I'd be greatly impressed if after the responses he sees in this thread Mr. Farts came back and told us about what resonated most with him based on his searches on the topic. That would be exemplary. I have found that the more I learn, the more useful search becomes to me.

On the second point, there are plenty of new anglers on this pond and the recent Newb-FOG bomb war suggests that it might be timely to refresh the discussion of this often baffling aspect of cigar forums.

Indeed, past discourse is there for all who seek it, but sometimes the new folks would benefit from an opportunity to sound out and ask questions again. This is just one of those perennial topics of interest.

Wilkey

Couldn't help but chuckle at this.

Teach a man to fish, and he'll spend the rest of the life sitting in a bass boat drinking beer.

:laugh:

Oh for me it's the sheer act itself! I don't care what is in the package. The fact that you took the time and effort to package up and send out something you want me to have is awesome. Retaliatory strikes piss me off to no end. If I send out a package I want nothing in return(unless it is a trade). I'm much happier to see that same person PIF to another brother(sister). I most generally don't bomb at random. I pick a specific target because of something I see in there actions or character presented on the board. I'm the very worst at over doing a package. You don't have to throw a humidor at someone to get the point across(yes, I do know this but generally don't act this way). The 5 stick bomb is (to me) the perfect amount to give your target a little variety. I also will do research on my target but I also send out blind bombs filled with what I'm smoking right now or something I think the target needs to try. I rarely do it but I find personal note to be the best other thing you can put into a bomb. I always make an effort to contact the person that has hit me within a day of receiving a bomb. It's nice to know that the package has arrived. I get a little worried when I don't hear something from my target in a reasonable amount of time. I try not to announce my bombs (although I hate surprises I like sending them?!?), I like to kick someone when they aren't expecting it. The point of bombing someone to me is to brighten up the day of someone who shares the same passion for cigars that I do!

Thanks for all the responses thus far, guys. You've given me a lot of ideas to ponder about.

For the record, I didn't want it to seem like I HAD to bomb those who bombed me......but I am a very grateful person who never forgets a good gesture or act of kindness, and it's in my very nature to return the favor at some point in the future. I just wanted to be sure that I was following the proper etiquette so that it could be done RIGHT. Based on your responses, I now have a plan to do exactly that.

Oh, and AVB.....sorry for being a lazy fisherman. I'll chalk that one up to my 2 year old daughter who was driving me nuts last night when I posted the original message.

Thanks for all the responses thus far, guys. You've given me a lot of ideas to ponder about.

For the record, I didn't want it to seem like I HAD to bomb those who bombed me......but I am a very grateful person who never forgets a good gesture or act of kindness, and it's in my very nature to return the favor at some point in the future. I just wanted to be sure that I was following the proper etiquette so that it could be done RIGHT. Based on your responses, I now have a plan to do exactly that.

Oh, and AVB.....sorry for being a lazy fisherman. I'll chalk that one up to my 2 year old daughter who was driving me nuts last night when I posted the original message.

The idea of a web forum that is full of people who send people gifts, just because, is a new one to me. I had done some reading about these bombs and couldn't figure it out at first. I guess I'm used to web forums filled with asshats and know-it-alls who barely give out free advice (albeit tainted with the notion that they know it all).

Pretty refreshing.

I too wouldn't know how to send out a "bomb" as my selection is still new to me, and I don't even know what I like, much less what someone else would like. So thanks for the post!

I'm a big fan of the PIF concept personally and I agree with what most have said here. I was saying to someone just the other day if we didn't practice the PIF mentality we would just be bombing eachother back and forth ad infinitum

Sell a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man how to fish and you kill your profit margins.

or

"Sell a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day, Teach a man to fish, and you lose a wonderful business opportunity."

It should also be noted that some of the best thought out and well recieved bombs of the past didn't even contain cigars.... Try to learn about the person you are bombing, not just the smoker.

PIF, send what your comfortable sending, be gracious when you receive something, PIF, PIF, PIF.

Anyone who would look at a gift from someone in any way other than in the spirit with which it was given is a complete asshole. It's nice to figure out what someone likes, but if you want to bomb someone, don't worry about the gift, just GIVE. There's a thread somewhere in the archives that SamClemmons started (a little hint for your next search...) that should be required reading for members here.

Again, just give, PIF, and don't be an asshat.

Some folks just can't help making the simplest of concepts complicated.

Doc.