• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigarauctioneer auto-bid

Trek

Has anyone used the auto-bid feature on cigarauctioneer? I used it for the first time yesterday and it didn't work the way I thought it would.

Here's the scenario: The auction item has a current high bid of $56 and has a $3 increment. I put in a bid of $62 using auto-bid. I had the highest bid of $59 so far. I checked the auction in the morning and lost to someone with a winning bid of $62.

Every other auction I used that had auto-bid required the next bidder to beat your highest bid, not match it. I sent an email to cigarauctioneer to ask why I lost and she said that it worked correctly. In my scenario the 2nd bidder bid $62 which beat my $59 bid. Auto-bid then checks if my next bid will beat the 2nd bidders bid of $62. Since it didn't I lost the item.

Has anyone else used this? Is that how it worked for you? I replied to cigarauctioneer because their help pages on the issue states that I should have won the bid based on the scenario it gives. Their help pages state, from what I understand, that the 2nd bidder has to beat my highest bid. I'm still waiting for a reply from cigarauctioneer.

This is probably just like Cigarbid. The reason you lost is because of the timing of your bid and the number of lots for sale.

The person who won probably also had a max bid of $62, but because their bid was initially entered at an earlier time, it was considered first before yours.

It sucks losing an auction this way ... but it is fair. If you want something get your bids in early and use that auto bid feature. I'm sure that same item will come around again.

If your auto-bid went in before theirs you should have won since you committed to $62 first. The next person should then have to hbeat your $62 with a bid of $65. If that is not the way their auto bid works then what is the point.

The web master of cigarauctioneer got in touch with me. It seems their auto-bid feature does not work like cigarbid or ebay's. In my scenario I was the only one auto-bidding. The person who won put in a regular bid. Their logic is that your max auto-bid isn't an actual bid. If you use auto-bid it will submit a bid on your behalf until it beats the high bid. Once you have the high bid another person can submit a bid, if it beats the current high bid showing they are the new highest bidder. The system then checks if your auto-bid max will beat the high bid and submit a bid and so on.

Here's a real world example he gave of why it works this way:

Let’s say that someone asks you to go to an auction and bid on a particular item. They given you $100.00 to spend on the item, but they would really like to get it for less if possible. The auction begins and the auctioneer is rattling off dollar amounts. The auctioneer asks for $90.00 and you raise your paddle to bid. Now the auctioneer asks for $100.00 and someone else raises their paddle to bid. You can’t say to the auctioneer, “Wait a minute I was willing to pay $100.00 for that item first, so I should be the high bidder at $100.00 not this other guy!”.

I don't like the way it works, but it's their site.

Beware, it works differently than ebay or cigarbid!!

If that's how his system works, then it's a poor implemetation of auto-bid, IMO.

First of all, his example should not be valid as you are not at an in-person auction where only one bidder at a single price point can be recognized. The computer software should view all bids for the items and select winners based on maximum bid and bid time.

But I guess if that's how they want to run things ... I sure won't be using their website.

Seems like a scheme to discourage people from lowballing initial bids in the hope of picking up a bargain. Of course, from the consumers' point of view, that's the entire point of an auction so...

I can understand his reasoning, but he probably won't do terribly well trying to counter the now de-facto standards of how internet auto-bidding is "supposed" to work.

Yes, that method of implementing auto-bid has unexpected results.

I can imagine that doing it the proper way would take more effort. I don't think its anything they did on purpose. Their programmer probably just gave it to them that way, so they are stuck with it that way.

Pyre said:
Yes, that method of implementing auto-bid has unexpected results.

I can imagine that doing it the proper way would take more effort. I don't think its anything they did on purpose. Their programmer probably just gave it to them that way, so they are stuck with it that way.
[snapback]240443[/snapback]​
in the grand scheme of things i believe thisis correct!1

Trek,

Thanks for the heads-up. Sorry you lost on your bid.

I currently have an autobid going at CA--my very first try at an auction--and my assumption was the same as yours. Now, I'll make an adjustment on my bid.

Thanks for sharing the timely information! That's why I love this place--I learn something new every day. I hope your item comes around for another bid.

SteveD.
b8f49505.gif