• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Coffee Brewing Techniques

Check out stumptowncoffee.com. Awesome roaster and they have a great coffee brewing guide.

When I lived in Portland, OR, I used to drink Stumptown. My office mates and myself used to joke that it was liquid speed. Great Stuff!

I personally like the autodrip machines. French press is nice to use but does not produce the coffee smell as much or strongly as the machines do. I need all the help I can get to wakeup in the morning! :)

I had a Bodum vacuum pot. It was a cool thing to look at, but the coffee was not strong enough. It is in storage right now, or I would offer it up here on the board.

L I N K

Tim

Senseo in the house. A Bun 1 pot machine in the office. I don't drink much anymore. I went cold turkey after college. In the lab office I shared with 1 other guy we went through 15 or so pots of coffee a day ???

I have a Cuisinart drip machine with a thermal carafe. It makes good coffee. I use a burr grinder also.

Capresso super-automatics are the bomb (linked to the high end model, they have other sub-$900 models too). Put water in one side, fresh beans in the other, and it grinds just enough on demand for each cup of coffee/espresso that you want.

Very easy to use, very quick, you get real espresso grinds and the coffee/espresso comes out with a layer of crema that can only be produced by hot steam brewing, which extracts all of the flavor from the bean. The clean up is the best part... very little to do, just dump the grounds bin out once in a while.

I have a Solis SL90 at home for espresso - really consistent, really good espresso. I've considered abandoning it for a Rancilio Sylvia, but I'd need to get a PID on top of that to get the same level of temperature consistency. Not to mention that I'd be giving up the instant-on hot water that the wife uses for tea. And I'd have to fill it up 3x as often, or run a plumbed-in line, which is just too much bother. Especially in a rental.

When I have guests that want a lot of coffee, quick (like the in-laws, who are visiting for Christmas), I also have a french press. Coarse grind, stir to mix (or do the lazy man's stir, depress the screen below the water level, then pull up - it disperses the grind), wait until the grinds are starting to settle and then you're good to go. But if you have the grind right on the espresso machine and don't overtamp, you can churn out 2 shots every 30 seconds pretty much forever.

I also have a Kitchenaid ProLine grinder, which helps a lot. I had a Capresso Infinity, which is not a bad grinder at all, and the Kitchenaid infinity is better in every way: better consistency, faster, glass receptacle (no static), less mess, quieter, and better looking on my countertop. Score.

Capresso super-automatics are the bomb (linked to the high end model, they have other sub-$900 models too). Put water in one side, fresh beans in the other, and it grinds just enough on demand for each cup of coffee/espresso that you want.

Very easy to use, very quick, you get real espresso grinds and the coffee/espresso comes out with a layer of crema that can only be produced by hot steam brewing, which extracts all of the flavor from the bean. The clean up is the best part... very little to do, just dump the grounds bin out once in a while.

Amen brother. I know another coffee addict when I see one. :)

Solis also makes an excellent superautomatic, the Master. The only problem with superautos is that service can get pricey.

I would buy a "normal" semiautomatic off eBay, because you can do a lot of work yourself. Come to think of it, I've bought 3, and the most I've had to do is replace water lines and degunk screens. Buy the superautomatic from a local shop or an online dealer with a good exchange and repair policy.

Being a lover of good coffee, but only having drip coffee I couldn't help myself. I ordered a Bodum Kenya french press, some Mr. Jerry's beans, and a Capresso conical burr grinder. I can't wait for everything to get here!
B

I just have one of the newbie Lieutenants make it. About all they're good for anyway. Their wives send them good beans.

Speaking of...it's 2245...now, where the hell is that Butter Bar...I'm ready for coffee...

-T

Just got a new Bodum 8 cup coffee press. I've been considering one for a while now.

My Secret Santa sent me some great coffee (Thanks Michael) and it finally pushed me into taking the plunge (pun intended). :D

Used it the last two nights and all I can say is, "Freakin' Amazing!". To me it seems to take more coffee than drip makers and although I've never been a fan of strong coffee, I can honestly say, I think it was bitter coffee that I have always confused with strong coffee in the past. When done correctly, a press brings out true flavor and more oils without the bitterness.

Thanks for all the input here and thanks to John for the side by side review last year.

Bottoms up!!

:love:

I use a French Press from time to time, but my everyday way of brewing a pot is my pour over...I've been using one for almost 20 years and I love it.

Last week I cleaned up the kitchen and retired the automatic drip off the counter and into the pantry. Thanks guys for all the tips. I don't know what I did before CigarPass :laugh:

I ran across an instructional video that calls into question the need to stir the grounds when brewing with a french press. I do like the idea of simply scooping grounds out of the coffee to cut down on sludge. I hate sludge; it tastes yucky.

Just thought I'd share...

-Mark