• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cohiba Esplendidos - 2002 vs. 2005

JLAudio

Mareva, Lancero, and Minuto Whore!
For starters, this will be my first review on CP. Hopefully this will start me off on the right foot. Please, all constructive criticism welcome!!!

Cigar: Cohiba Esplendidos - 2002 and 2005
Setting: Downtown Chicago (Gold Coast) - about 40 stories high overlooking the busy saturday night below
Drink: Beer...wish it was an IPA, but was just a Coors Light
Total smoke time: approx. 2 hours

This was only my second and third Cohiba Esplendido that I've ever had. I smoked both of these with my fellow CC addict Tim...yes...we shared. Actually, the 2002 was mine, gifted to me by my girlfriend, and the 2005 was Tim's, gifted to him from his brother-in-law. Very good start...I mean they were both free!

Pre-light: The construction was absolutely stunning on both cigars...the 2002 had a much silkier/smoother feel to it as compared to the 2005, but in the 2005's defense, it was 3 years younger & was stored at 67% RH as compared to my 70% storage...I prefer my sticks slightly more moist than he does as well. The pre-light aromas were both distinctly "Cohiba" which is just wonderful, however, the 2002 was slightly less intense as compared to the 2005.

Smoking Characteristics: Both were cut perfectly with a double blade just above the shoulder which delivered two great draws...thank god!!! We lit them both up simultaneously...the 2002 had an absolute perfect burn which stayed very consistent until the end. The draw also stayed relatively consistent, that is until the last 1/4, where it did tighten up (some gentle rolling did fix it!). The 2005 had a relatively uneven burn throughout the smoke (probably from lack of rotation during storage), but the draw was perfect throughout! Both cigars put out a very volumous smoke. The 2002 had a lighter, less pungent (still delicious) aroma, which was a slightly sweet leathery smell, whereas the 2005 had a very, very strong aroma...without a doubt the best aroma I've ever encountered! Soooo leathery and spicy...just clouds of smoke!!! I enjoyed smelling that AS MUCH as smoking my own cigar! Wow, thats a statement!

Taste: 2002~Started off quite mellow, with a light woody flavor that carried a salty finish. As time passed, so did these flavors. About 1/4 way down, it turned into a very clean, smooth cigar, with hints of leather, spice, and cream. It stayed this way until just before the last 1/4, where it was a little stronger. It carried more worn leather and spice than before, but had a sublime bitter-chocolately note at the end that seemed to last 1/2 minute...MMMM this part really made the cigar! Then, of course, the draw tightened up, but eventually I fixed it, and the bliss continued. Overall, I would describe it as a medium to medium-full bodied smoke...It had a nice, slightly stronger than medium strenth to it.
2005~Started off quite strong, with dominant spice flavors. It immediately veered into the crooked burn stage, but that aside, the flavors were still there. The first 1/3 was strong, spicy, and slightly leathery. Then, as it got past the 1/3 mark, it completely opened up into a different smoke! Flavors of worn leather dominated (omg), which also carried a complex, slightly spicy flavor. The worn leather just prevailed! I mean, it just wasn't just a normal great leather flavor, it was in its own category! Just superb. This lasted throughout the rest of the smoke, as it slowly but surely built up strenth until the end. Overall, I would describe this one as medium-full bodied with a medium-full strength to it.

Judgement: It was a very tough decision. On one hand, I have a slightly older stick that was extremely refined, smooth, and mellow. It was complex, and it was very consistent until the end. A wonderfully aged cigar that really showed "fresh and clean" flavors. On the other hand, I had a slightly younger stick, still somewhat aged, that didn't perform as well as the other. The flavors were wonderfully strong and complex. The aromas given off of it was mind-boggling.
The winner is......................2005 Cohiba Esplendido!!!!

Ratings: 2002 - 92
2005 - 94

It was a close matchup but the clear winner in my eye was the slightly less aged 2005. I just fell in love with the leather...I'm a pushover for the leather. What can I say? Can't wait to make some serious money, so I can buy some serious Esplendidos!!!!!

Does anyone else have similar experiences???

gallery_8143_694_35722.jpg

***I apoligize for only having 1 picture, but I smoked these a few weeks ago, before I joined CP...better pictures to come!***

And you didn't like the Vegas Robains Don Alejandro.. thats like chewing on leather! :thumbs: Refined corinthian leather that is!
Great review!

Its interesting how different the bands look to me. One with two levels of "squares" above the COHIBA and the other with three. I suppose they changed their band in those years? I do know they took out the "La" in "La Habana, Cuba", but I'm not 100% sure what year.

None the less... glad you enjoyed them! :thumbs:

mac

Its interesting how different the bands look to me. One with two levels of "squares" above the COHIBA and the other with three. I suppose they changed their band in those years? I do know they took out the "La" in "La Habana, Cuba", but I'm not 100% sure what year.

None the less... glad you enjoyed them! :thumbs:

mac

Great review JL! That's exactly the same thing I was thinking. They don't just look different, they are different. JL, out of curiosity, which is which?

edit: Answered my own question. It looks like the cigar with two rows of dots is the 2002 as the label was changed in 2003.

Really nice review! And a neat idea passing the cigars back and forth with a friend... :thumbs:

The 2005 looks like a nicer cigar in the picture too! Thanks for the mighty fine review :thumbs:

Yes...just to confirm that question Cohiba changed it's labels in 2003 again.

Pre 2003 - "Cohiba" in bigger black letters...not really raised either, nearly flat 2 boxes above "Cohiba" and 2 boxes alongside the "Cohiba" for a total of 4 rows. "La Habana, Cuba" on band

Post 2003 - "Cohiba" font slightly smaller but raised up...has the gold color. 3 rows of boxes above "Cohiba" and 2 rows alongside "Cohiba" for a total of 5 rows. "Habana, Cuba" on band

here are pics of genuine bands

I love VR's...just got a bad VRDA alex! :sign:

Nice review! I have had several singles from 2000-'03, but, like you, love the '05s. I have two boxes of '05s and while really good, they can and will get much, much better down the road. Might even fire one up tonight based upon this review :thumbs:

Good review.

I'm smoking out of a 2005 box, haven't had one for +- 5 months, maybe time ???

Not so sure about the sharing part though, if it's not my wife, I'm not sharing.

Brian

Good review. Hopefully, I will get a chance to sample the Esplendido and hopefully it will be on.

I've only ever had 2 Esplendidos and neither really struck me. Good cigar, but if you give a choice of all the churchills, bosed on the two I've smoked, it'll probably be 3rd or 4th choice after the Sir Winston, BCG, HdM churchill, and tie with the SLR.

COHIBA MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

COHIBA MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
LOL...I bet you have your room decorated with Cohiba posters and insignia, maybe even wear Cohiba briefs, what's your dogs name? :laugh:

Brian

LOL...I bet you have your room decorated with Cohiba posters and insignia, maybe even wear Cohiba briefs, what's your dogs name? :laugh:

Brian
No but I have a lot of cigars with the name Cohiba! :thumbs:

Yea...those red dots sure fill my cooler too! lol :sign:
LOL, NICE Avitar pic!

Really nice review! And a neat idea passing the cigars back and forth with a friend... :thumbs:
Good review.

I'm smoking out of a 2005 box, haven't had one for +- 5 months, maybe time ???

Not so sure about the sharing part though, if it's not my wife, I'm not sharing.

Brian

Haha I feel the same way... Great review though thanks.