• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Connies

Rod

Administrator
Staff member
Doesn't seem that Connies are talked about much anymore as they used to be. What do you think?

What's your favorite Connie? I'm thinking about placing an order.

I smoked one of these for the first time this summer when a playing partner handed one to me during a round of golf. Initially, I was reluctant to fire it up when I saw something to the effect of, "100% long filler" on the band. I could only surmise that it was gonna be a dog rocket. Boy was I in for a surprise! That thing was mighty tasty! Unfortunately, it was in the mid 90's that day and I couldn't bring myself to finish it in the sweltering heat. I only know that it was about 6"x50rg. I'm glad you posted this because I'd like to know which ones are recommended as well.

I dont mind Conni's. I forgot the numbers but its the ones that would be tissue wrapped but they are usually always out of those. :(

They all taste the same to me. I used to buy these a lot a few years ago but I haven't bought any Connies in almost three years. I forgot the size or the "model #" but if I remember correctly, the ones I liked the best were a corona size. It seems to me that I didn't like the fatter ring gauge Connies as much as the thinner ones.

The number 9's and 17's have been good to me. Not much taste differance in them though. I like to keep a bundle in the humi for those days in the garage or fishing trips. Don't want to take a chance of ruining an expensive cigar.

Always have a bundle of #9's maddies in my humidor, great tasting quick smoke. Highly recommend aging them for 4-6 months, as I think they ship them almost as soon as they make them.

Big, huge fan as well. Maduro's in 7.25x54 Sultans, 6x54 Principales and 5x54 Robusto are my favorites. Of course JR's out of all of them right now. Might get the Dbl Corona's until the drought is over.

I've only tried the #9 maduros based on reviews. Got them about 4 months ago. Have gone through 3 or 4 so far. Last one I had was 2 months ago. They weren't Super Premium 2nds at first (#9s were way too harsh), but after the 2 months they started to taste similar (i.e.- yummy).

Usually I go for the 73's. Last time I checked the "Connie Chart" it is thought that these are El Rey Tissue Rap seconds. Then again, I could be wrong on that. Stupid memory :rolleyes:

for me and all the other Newbs who didn't have the stones to ask, please define a "Connie"

Link
In layman’s terms, they are good cigars for cheap. Just try to give them at least 4-6 months of rest before lighting one up, they can be a little rough fresh. I have read various things such as they are 2nds of Punch, JR Ults, Hoyo de Monterrey, etc, and that you may get a bundle of 2nds of all one type, or any mixture of them, or that they are their own blend of leftover tobacco from all of the above, therefore unique and varying from bundle to bundle. Just try searching for connie and you will come up will all kinds of stuff.

OpusXKC said:
Usually I go for the 73's. Last time I checked the "Connie Chart" it is thought that these are El Rey Tissue Rap seconds. Then again, I could be wrong on that. Stupid memory :rolleyes:
[snapback]286998[/snapback]​

Well they can be any of 4. punch, eldm, hoyo, and damn I forgot the 4th one now...Most of the Connie's I've had reminds me ELDM. Maybe its just me.

#9s or #16s in maduro were always my faves, but like a lot of other botls i simply just burned out on these. six month of coolidor time seems about right to get them tasting just yummy! ymmv! :cool:

Connies are CONSUEGRA, unfortunently the link provided only leads to the area of JR to choose the type of cigar. I've never had one myself but I've herd good things.

I'm a big fan of several of the model #'s, but it's tough to beat a #9 Maduro for a tasty cheap smoke!

Here's the correct link: http://www.jrcigars.com/index.cfm?page=cig...brand=CONSUEGRA

I believe Connies as well as the JR Ults are shipped out "wet". That means they are shipped quickly after production, with no aging. If you let them sit for a few months, you'll definately notice a change in taste. I haven't had a Connie for a few years, but I'm thinking about getting a bundle. Can't beat 'em for the price.

The 9's are showing in stock at JR's for $22 a bundle - both EMS and Maddies. :D

Got a couple in the humidor....never tried one. I've always smoked Padron "Fumas" for my "go to" inexpensive smoke. Hard to beat a Fumas for under two bucks, IMHO.

Wonder how the connies would compare to the "Tampa Sweetheart" bundles...?? Those look interesting as well, and also seem to be very fairly priced....??

Regards - B.B.S.

Had a few and they were a fairly decent smoke. No idea what number they were.

I've been told by a really old old BOTL, long-time Connie smoker that a good source for these is L. Lynn Cigars.