• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Do You Subscribe to a Cigar Magazine?

Which magazine do you BUY or SUBSCRIBE to whether in print or on the web?

• Cigar Aficionado

Votes: 26 68.4%
  • Smoke

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Cigar Snob

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • Cigar Insider

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Smokeshop (Retailers publication)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other...please specify

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • NO, I don't pay for any cigar related content and only read the free offerings. ex: Cigar Advisor

Votes: 9 23.7%

• Total voters
BlindedByScience said:
A good friend of mine hooked me up with Cigar Aficionado.  I look forward to reading it every month.... :cool:

Ditto ;)

I also enjoyed the one copy of Cigar Press I received recently

Devil Doc said:
Hell no! I don't subscribe to anything that promotes tasting chocolate in cigars. I particularly hate CA, which was responsible for the cigar boom and led to some very unpleasant times for real cigar smokers as opposed to noobs who wanted to look cool. There's a reason why I hate those fuggers.

Doc

Doc's posts are priceless !!

That cigar boom is the reason cigar prices hit double digits per stick, and in my opinion, created the "box phenomenon" where brands spend too much on the box/packaging/promotion and not enough on the cigar. My view is you market your cigar by putting your money into the cigar. (Not the box, not the magazine add.....Swag ???...errr maybe a little swag)

I read CA more for the things I will never buy than for their cigar opinions. And I remember Gina Gershon a few years back being some nice eye candy.

I personally saw an upgrade in RP ratings that appeared directly proportional to the amount of RP advertising, so I don't really view it as "informational", more of a lifestyle magazine.  I read some of the others listed at my local B&M. They usually have better eye candy.

Cparker said:

Hell no! I don't subscribe to anything that promotes tasting chocolate in cigars. I particularly hate CA, which was responsible for the cigar boom and led to some very unpleasant times for real cigar smokers as opposed to noobs who wanted to look cool. There's a reason why I hate those fuggers.

Doc

That cigar boom is the reason cigar prices hit double digits per stick, and in my opinion, created the "box phenomenon" where brands spend too much on the box/packaging/promotion and not enough on the cigar. My view is you market your cigar by putting your money into the cigar. (Not the box, not the magazine add.....Swag ???...errr maybe a little swag)

I read CA more for the things I will never buy than for their cigar opinions. And I remember Gina Gershon a few years back being some nice eye candy.

I personally saw an upgrade in RP ratings that appeared directly proportional to the amount of RP advertising, so I don't really view it as "informational", more of a lifestyle magazine.  I read some of the others listed at my local B&M. They usually have better eye candy.

I don’t think there’s a correlation between scores and advertising. Even now just flipping through the pages of the current issue with Andy Garcia I see RP has a two-page spread and another single-page ad. Maybe even more. They also have one cigar rated in this same issue. It scored 87 points. In the same category, the two top-scoring cigars both got 92 points and neither of those brands advertise at all. That alone makes it hard to suspect corruption.

EricDriscoll said:

Doc

I don’t think there’s a correlation between scores and advertising. Even now just flipping through the pages of the current issue with Andy Garcia I see RP has a two-page spread and another single-page ad. Maybe even more. They also have one cigar rated in this same issue. It scored 87 points. In the same category, the two top-scoring cigars both got 92 points and neither of those brands advertise at all. That alone makes it hard to suspect corruption.

Not unless the RP should have been rated a 56...

Lol. That's reaching for a theory Gary but I'd agree that RP's are not my thing. However a ton of people smoke them and like 'em. I have smoked one or two RP's based on Isy's recc that surprised me but overall I'll pass but like I said I'm in the minority in regards to what he sells.

EricDriscoll said:
Lol. That's reaching for a theory Gary but I'd agree that RP's are not my thing. However a ton of people smoke them and like 'em.

...as they also like Grape White Owl cigars. Point being, we know what to expect from a .75 GWO cigar....you don't see ads with people in Ferraris smoking a White Owl. The RP brands purport to being a 'premium' cigar at a more expensive price which, in my case, I don't think they are. One day they're in a fancy CA ad for $160.00 a box, with an accompanying positive review from the owners of the magazine, and 6 months later they're on CI's website for $49.99 a box. You don't see that with Fuente, Padron, etc.

Make no doubt about it, the skepticism in the rating system is well earned by the editors of CA. No conspiracy theory here, it's as plain as the nose on your face. 

I don't know the correlation between White Owl smokers and RP's as fact however I do know that RP sales are high. If White Owl sales are high as well so are a lot of cigars of all types so that's specious reasoning unless you have something tangible to correlate the two. If you do then that's actually some funny shit.

As for CI sale cigars please let me know if it is the same rated cigar as one in CA versus the many brands RP makes that may or may not sell well. Blaming CA for ALL of Rocky's lines being good or bad doesn't make sense. I cant make claims regarding something unless the facts line up or I'd simply be posing a theory which of course people can certainly do by right.