• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Do Your Tastes For Cigars Change ?

Turbolag

Noob
When I first got into the hobby about 8 weeks ago if you asked me what kind of cigar I would want, it would be a small skinny cigar, pretty much some kind of gas station cigar. 

Then I participated in the newbie sampler trade and received some large cigars with a larger than I'm used to ring gauge. I really enjoyed about 90% of the cigars in the sampler. I still have two left that I am holding onto. One is real small and one is pretty large. 

Now if you ask me what kind of cigar I would like, I would tell you I like a larger cigar with a nice sized ring gauge. 

I have also noticed, what I like in a cigar flavor wise is I think a nutty creamy taste with a carbonated type feeling on the tongue as you draw it. Is there a name for the carbonated feeling ? It doesn't burn or anything, just reminds me of a carbonated drink. 

Its pretty cool how tastes buds change. I was just wondering, if anyone's tastes or preferences have changed since they started the hobby. 

My taste or preference has definitely changed over the last year. When first starting out I was always looking for the strongest nicotine cigars and darkest wrappers possible. now I find myself looking for more and more light body cigars of the Cuban area. I have grown a love for that distinct Cuban flavor that we all know and love! When it comes to ring gauge I was always in the 50-55 range to now I love a 42-43!

Paul

I smoke cigars for less than a year. Initially i loved very strong cigars, now i started to like some cubans (like Monte Cristo no.4), and generally medium body cigars. My new favourite is AF rosado sungrown. So i'm in the same boat with Paul.

Tall Paul said:
My taste or preference has definitely changed over the last year. When first starting out I was always looking for the strongest nicotine cigars and darkest wrappers possible. now I find myself looking for more and more light body cigars of the Cuban area. I have grown a love for that distinct Cuban flavor that we all know and love! When it comes to ring gauge I was always in the 50-55 range to now I love a 42-43!

Paul
I would tend to say the same....but with more gramatical errors... Lol

So +1

Yes 100%. What I think I love one week I seem to dislike other weeks, or months. I was dead set on a Fav. cigar.....then tried others, and went back to "my fav" only to find out I now hated it. I think I enjoy this part of the hobby. It keeps my pallet from getting bored.

The more you get into something like cigars or wine or whatever, the more variations you'll come across.  Trying more things will expand your palate and you may discover something you never knew existed and find something you love that you never thought you would.

So naturally, when you stick around here and get to try more cigars that are arguably of better quality than gas station cigars, your tastes will definitely change.  Like I replied to your other post, however, don't feel like you can't smoke those other cigars if thats what you like.

Early on.... Especially after I came to this place and learned what truly were great cigars and not what a magazine said.

After that, not really. My mood plays a role in what I pick at the time. Might be something medium, might be a nicotine bomb, or something old.

jfields said:
After that, not really. My mood plays a role in what I pick at the time. Might be something medium, might be a nicotine bomb, or something old.
This sums what I was going to say.  Depending on mood or setting I may vary in what I want, but I've come to discover I like certain taste profiles and I stick pretty close to those. 

I've been at this for quite a while and I smoked CC exclusively for almost 25yrs and was very satisfied until they $hit the bed in the late 90s. Now with all the Nicaraguan stuff that we've all been smoking, I find my taste for them going up and down for quite some time.

I'm in one of those down turns right now as I'm turning away from the stronger cigars and going back to more of a medium smoke and my stash of CC. My problem now is that I just realized that I should have bought more CC since they made their comeback.

As for ring size and lengths, my preference was always towards the longer sticks with larger ring sizes to achieve that cooler draw, but I have been on a lancero and corona kick for 3-4 years now and am starting to like them a bit more.

bluue13 said:
The more you get into something like cigars or wine or whatever, the more variations you'll come across.  Trying more things will expand your palate and you may discover something you never knew existed and find something you love that you never thought you would.

So naturally, when you stick around here and get to try more cigars that are arguably of better quality than gas station cigars, your tastes will definitely change.  Like I replied to your other post, however, don't feel like you can't smoke those other cigars if thats what you like.
Thanks man. I think that's a great way to put it. Really makes a lot of sense.

I change favorites fairly regularly.  If I find one I like especially, I smoke it to death for a while then find a change is nice.  I try to rotate cigars in and out in a effort to not burn out, but it is easy to find new favorites because of all of the new blends of sticks coming out every year. I do though have a few absolute favorites that are always in my humidor. :whistling:

I recently smoked a LP no. 9 from a box going on a few years, the last one I grabbed didn't do it for me so I stayed away for about half a year. This one made me want to smoke them again, so I'm still changing. 

I started smoking cigars about 8-10yrs ago. I love to try different cigars, I keep a journal so that over the years I have seen how my tastes have changed. The one thing that hasn't changed is that I don't care for the peppery/spice that a lot of people love. I seem to really like tobacco leaf from Honduras. I enjoy all nature of wrappers. I really like the look of candela wrappers but it is hard to find ones that are enjoyable smokes.

When I first started to smoke cigars 10 years ago, I smoked a lot of different brands. Experimentation was great as I was settling into what I like and what I didn't like about a cigar. I can now safely say that there are only a few brands that are in my rotation. Fuente, Padron, La Flor and Tatuaje. I'll try some new stuff but these are my regulars. And depending on the mood I'll mix it up with Maduro, Sungrown, powerhouse or flavor bomb or Robusto, Lancero,.....well, you get the picture. :)

Apparently everyone tastes change over time. This medical site states that our 9000 tastes buds die off as we age and by 60 we start to lose our ability to taste sweet and salty first with other tastes fading into obscurity as you age further. Enjoy the distinguished flavors of your best cigars now, do not wait.