• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Favorite Gin

BigMacFU

Tornado of Teeth
I myself am partial to Bombay Sapphire over Tanqueray. What are your favorite gins?

Tanqueray 10 or Boodles are my favorites.

I keep some Sapphire around if anybody wants some but I wouldn't touch the stuff myself.

For some reason, I like to have a gin martini, extra dry, on ice before a steak dinner. This is the only time I drink gin. Oh and when on a sailboat in the tropics while watching the sun go down, but that doesn't happen very often. :laugh:

How do you like the Hendrick's, how does it taste compared to the Bombay Sapphire, I've heard good things...? Also, anybody ever had Van Gogh gin, would love to hear about it. And AVB, we know, you like your scotch :) unfortunately, even the best scotches in some of the most acclaimed malt houses in Scotland tasted like turpentine to me. I wish I could enjoy a good scotch being a professor and all, but my tongue just can't get used to it :(

One of my favorite drinks is a Gin and Tonic. I actually prefer Beefeater. A lot of the other Gin's out there are a little to citrusy for me. I have enjoyed Hendricks as well.

AVB said:
I keep some Sapphire around if anybody wants some but I wouldn't touch the stuff myself.
[snapback]236306[/snapback]​

ditto

Now that is funny, Scotch tasting like turpentine compared to Gin. :p

BigMacFU said:
And AVB, we know, you like your scotch :) unfortunately, even the best scotches in some of the most acclaimed malt houses in Scotland tasted like turpentine to me.
[snapback]236419[/snapback]​

Sapphire #1.

Beefeater over Tanq any day. Much more flavor.

Some people think Hendricks has a more floral taste to it. I've never thought that was the case. The most impressive thing to me about it is that it's super smooth and very easy to drink. I used to drink Tanqueray and Tanq10, but now pretty much stick to Hendrick's because of, what I think, is a superior taste and smoothness.

FlyingPanther said:
One of my favorite drinks is a Gin and Tonic. I actually prefer Beefeater. A lot of the other Gin's out there are a little to citrusy for me. I have enjoyed Hendricks as well.
[snapback]236420[/snapback]​
me too :thumbs:

One of my friends, no matter how much or how little gin he drinks gets a hang over no matter what. My other friend gets violent from gin. That juniper can do some wild and crazy stuff to people I guess. So, no one has tried the Van Gogh?

Not that they are the last word on the subject or anything but the Spirit Journal's top gins are:

TANQUERAY Special Dry English Gin (England); 47.3% abv, $22.
Again won a Double Gold/Best Gin at the SF World Spirits Competition this past March. There's only one way to view this legend: As Gin's ultimate roadmap.

PLYMOUTH Dry Gin (England); 41.2% abv, $30.
The quality is such that it deserves to always be in the SJ Top 50, at least. Along with Tanqueray Special Dry, Zuidam, Van Gogh, and Tanqueray No. Ten, the gin that makes the category the best in white spirits.

ZUIDAM Dry Gin (Holland) 44.5% abv, $30.
A new kid on the Gin block that runs with the legends of the category without losing a step. Find and try. Cutting edge and racy.

VAN GOGH Gin (Holland); 47% abv, $30.

CADENHEAD'S OLD RAJ Dry Gin (Scotland); 55% abv, $50.

So your Van Gogh made the their top 5 for this year.

If you want to try a really good Gin, try Hendricks. It's a cucumber Gin (yes, cucumber). Made in Scotland for about $35 a bottle.

WWW.CucumberGin.Com

AVB said:
Not that they are the last word on the subject or anything but the Spirit Journal's top gins are:

TANQUERAY Special Dry English Gin (England); 47.3% abv, $22.
Again won a Double Gold/Best Gin at the SF World Spirits Competition this past March. There's only one way to view this legend: As Gin's ultimate roadmap.
[snapback]236580[/snapback]​

And interestingly enough, Tanqueray Special Dry is one of my LEAST favorite gins. On the other hand, Tanqueray No. Ten is my favorite. I love the fresh citrus flavors. Other favorites are Broker's, Beefeater, and Bombay Original (in that order). I'm not a big fan of Bombay Sapphire.

Some gins I'd like to try include: Plymouth, Van Gogh, and Citadelle. I've only heard good things about these.