• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Favorite inexpensive red wine?

Mathew Fox Cabernet and Syrah are very good wines for the money, both priced under $4 per bottle. The only down side seems to be they are only available at Marcs and they are all in northeast Ohio.

Anyone interested in trying it, let me know. It is under $36 per case with the 10% discount offered.

3757.jpg

Mouton Cadet Bordeaux.

This can be found for as low as $6.99 and I LOVE this stuff! :thumbs:

If, and this is a big if, you find the 2003 Mann Cellars Merlot I would recommend it as a buy at under $20. Some of you West Coast folks may see it but I seriously doubt it ever finds it way beyond CA.

:cool:

I've tried and had some pretty good years on the Mouton Cadet, I think 99 and 00, can't remember for sure, it opened up pretty good. I think I poured it out in a pitcher and then back in the bottle and let it sit for a half hour or so.
Didn't care for the '02, and haven't tried the '03 yet, which should be a better "year" to say the least. I saw the '03 in a store the other day for around $10-12, I think I'll give it go.

Never seen the Mann cellars though, I'll keep an eye out.

If you have a cost plus near you there is Montes Alpha it is from Chile and is fantastic for about $15 a bottle.Compares to 30-40 dollar bottles of the Napa stuff IMHO.

My "house red" for the last year or so has been "Il Bastardo" a 100% Sangiovese from Tuscany. Available from 7$-10.

I agree that Bogle makes some terrific bargains - I suggest you try their Petite Sirah - IMO much better than either their Cab or Merlot.

The Paralell 44 someone suggested has to be Paul Jaboulet Aine's Parallel 45. A stome reliable $8 Rhone.

I also think Pepperwood Grove wines give recognizable varietal flavor - not the best wines, but when you drink their Pinot Noir, you can tell you are drinking Pinot Noir.

I haven't had a Columbia Crest in some years, but they are generally recognized as very reliable bargain priced wines.

Mouton Cadet? What can you say about the best selling Bordeaux in the world? I'll say it is $6.07 at the local Total Wine and almost always recognizably claret.

Oh, by the way - I'm a wine guy.

My "house red" for the last year or so has been "Il Bastardo" a 100% Sangiovese from Tuscany. Available from 7$-10.

I agree that Bogle makes some terrific bargains - I suggest you try their Petite Sirah - IMO much better than either their Cab or Merlot.

The Paralell 44 someone suggested has to be Paul Jaboulet Aine's Parallel 45. A stome reliable $8 Rhone.

I also think Pepperwood Grove wines give recognizable varietal flavor - not the best wines, but when you drink their Pinot Noir, you can tell you are drinking Pinot Noir.

I haven't had a Columbia Crest in some years, but they are generally recognized as very reliable bargain priced wines.

Mouton Cadet? What can you say about the best selling Bordeaux in the world? I'll say it is $6.07 at the local Total Wine and almost always recognizably claret.

Oh, by the way - I'm a wine guy.

Cool ...... welcome aboard!

:cool:

3757.jpg

Mouton Cadet Bordeaux.

This can be found for as low as $6.99 and I LOVE this stuff! :thumbs:

Local store had the 2004 on sale for $6 so I bought a bottle. Tried it tonight and now I need a barf smiley.

Better bets would include
Bogle Petit Sirah
Casillero Del Diablo Merlot

I'd rather spend just a little more for something great and just drink less occasionally....kind of like cigars....

My personal favorites in the 'normal' price range are Banfi Chianti Classico Reserva and Burnsini Tehama Red.

The Banfi is a full round dry wine but it bursts with flavor without any bite. The older the better. $15

The Burnsini can only be bought in Cottonwood California or ordered directly from their website. $11

If you have a cost plus near you there is Montes Alpha it is from Chile and is fantastic for about $15 a bottle.Compares to 30-40 dollar bottles of the Napa stuff IMHO.

The '05 Montes "Classic Series" (not the Alpha line) Cabernet and Malbec is available at Costco out here for $8. The Malbec is an amazing value. The Cab is not quite as impressive as the Malbec, but is still great for the price. If you can find their '04 Reserve Cab (Costco had it last year for $8), I think you'll be pleased.

Smoking Loon makes some great reds for under $10. I particularly like their Syrah.

I have had a couple Smoking Loon wines and enjoyed them.

My wife likes the Charles Shaw Melot (AKA Two Buck Chuck). I am not a fan but I hear it has received lots of attention from wine drinkers.

I must agree, the Charles Shaw Merlot and Shiraz are very good wines, considering the $3 price tag per bottle.

Johnny

Nice thread! I'm new to wines myself, and I'm looking forward to trying some of the wines you guys listed. I recently had some Francis Coppola with a cigar, and I think it's an awesome drink to have while smoking.

Cheap is a good way to start. :thumbs:

I recently stumbled across Canyon Oaks Merlot which I think is very tasty. My local shop has it for $4 a bottle. Has anyone else tried it?

Mirassou Pinot Noir
and
Anglefire Pinot Noir

I've been big on Pinot Noir for the last year or so. It's hard to find a good one for under twenty bucks but these are both pretty good and run 10 or under in NH.

Found another great red: Falesco Vitiano 2004 @ $9.99 per bottle :thumbs:. 90 points from WS.