• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Feedback from Fogs

puffstuff

I am debating and have been for quite some time whether or not I should do a something on what really goes on behind the scenes in the Cigar Industry. There are some good things, some bad things, some total scumbag shit and some great stuff! This could potentially hurt my business. Which many of you know has become one of the most successful B&M's around. However, I also feel the public has the right to know some of this stuff. Especially so you can make a truly informed decision on who you spend your money with.
 Should I start a blog using an alias, do it here??? This has gnawed at me for some time as I feel I have more of an obligation to my customer's and friends than to a manufacturer (especially when they are doing the scumbag stuff). What say you?

I'm no fog, but...

The fact that you feel the public should know the rights and wrongs going on behind the scenes is just another example of why you're one of the best, Al. Since you think it could potentially hurt your business, I think doing it anonymously is the best bet. If you do start a blog under an alias, I'm sure you know enough posters here that you could get the link to so they could spread the word without blowing your cover.Also, when you do it, let me know so I can cover the tracks in this post.

Hey Al,

I know what you mean. ;)  I've heard some interesting stories myself, especially when it comes to the newer manufacturers.  You might really consider doing this anonymously, as you wouldn't want anyone to potentially sue you for defamation of character, etc.

There is always the good and bad folks, companies, in each industry. 
I also pretty sure some of the revelations would not surprise some of us, in most cases. 
For instance, I can think of one back stabbing rise to fame scumbag.
Used to make fantastic cigars and now he make mediocre cigars. Too bad he couldn't figure out how to continue to make great cigars.
I haven't bought any of his crap in years.

Al, I may be the lone voice of dissent here, but personally, I wouldn't dish dirt on anyone, using your name or not.

I mean, to what end?  No big surprise that there are scumbags and back stabbing lying assholes in every business and industry you can name.  I'm sure you have more than a couple great insights but I'd leave the bomb throwing to someone with more to gain and less to lose.  Last thing you want is to incur any fallout on that kick ass business you've built over the years.  Just not worth it, my friend.

As they say, one man's opinion......B.B.S.

PS: Next time I'm in NC visiting the Marine, I'll make the trip and you can tell me what you know over a great smoke and a high octane beverage.  I'm cool...... :p

I'm torn on this one. On the one hand, as a consumer, I want to know this kind of thing because it does impact my purchasing. On the other hand, it could easily be misconstrued as showing that you lack the integrity to play by what are obviously unspoken rules of confidentiality in the business.

I think a major factor if you do decide to do it would be ensuring that you have no skin in the game. That means no ad revenue on the blog, never starting your own cigar line even a house blend, etc. Otherwise it just looks like dirty promotion.

BlindedByScience said:
Al, I may be the lone voice of dissent here, but personally, I wouldn't dish dirt on anyone, using your name or not.

I mean, to what end?  No big surprise that there are scumbags and back stabbing lying assholes in every business and industry you can name.  I'm sure you have more than a couple great insights but I'd leave the bomb throwing to someone with more to gain and less to lose.  Last thing you want is to incur any fallout on that kick ass business you've built over the years.  Just not worth it, my friend.

As they say, one man's opinion......B.B.S.

PS: Next time I'm in NC visiting the Marine, I'll make the trip and you can tell me what you know over a great smoke and a high octane beverage.  I'm cool...... :p

This. I feel that the behind the scenes relationships between manufacturers and their distribution channels, etc. really ought to be managed between those two parties and not really exposed to the consumers. Now, if you're talking about the products themselves....that's a whole different story...people ought to know what they are buying. However, everyone conducts business differently...if you aren't on board with a manufacturer and their go-to-market strategies...it's your choice whether or not to solicit their business and advertise that brand to your consumers. The fact that you want people to be exposed to the "behind-the-scenes" play by play makes you a class act, but I just see it being potentially more harmful long-term.

I'm going with Bigjake on this. In my retired situation I am somewhat forced to look for a deal but willing to support a B&M that knows how to treat you right and fairly. The inability to get an account with a popular distributor for certain brands is not fair game. The other side of the coin is advertising one thing and selling another.

As Rod mentioned, an alias is best IMHO. Personally I would want to know. I don't want to smoke queer cigars anymore than I want to drink milk from China containing plastic.

I don't know, Lew Rothman did pretty well for himself telling the "Truth" about the industry. :whistling:

Doc

I say go for it. If they ain't doing nothing wrong, they got nothing to worry about. If they are, well, they should duck and cover...the truth hurts.

I know one guy, won't say his name, cause I don't know it to be gospel, but he under cut his reps, and then wouldn't pay them. Even the celeb he had sticks for jumped the ship. Oops...maybe I've said to much...nah...f'em!

smokem said:
I say go for it. If they ain't doing nothing wrong, they got nothing to worry about. If they are, well, they should duck and cover...the truth hurts.

I know one guy, won't say his name, cause I don't know it to be gospel, but he under cut his reps, and then wouldn't pay them. Even the celeb he had sticks for jumped the ship. Oops...maybe I've said to much...nah...f'em!
That kind of thing happens a lot more than it should and believe me it happens often!

BlindedByScience said:

The next time you're in NC visiting the Marine and you want to make the trip to Al's, you let me know and we can make the trip down I-85 together.

Al, at the end of the day, the only one you have to answer to is yourself. It's good to hear others opinions but you need to go with the decision you feel the most comfortable with.

(not a FOG)

I'm no FOG, but I personally prefer to be as knowledgeable as I can about things that matter to me. If there is some shady sh*t going on in the cigar world, I'd personally want to know about it.

I do think doing this anonymously is your best option, no reason to risk your business or the food you put on the table to out some bad business.

$0.02 from Mr. Newbtactular!

puffstuff said:

That kind of thing happens a lot more than it should and believe me it happens often!

Then we, as consumers, should know. I don't want to support some guy who is making a good buck off of hard working folk, only to turn around a screw them.

It ain't right, it ain't fair and should be stopped. If you have some power to point these SOB's out, well, again, I say go for it!

P.S. Make sure you include...."Some names were changed to protect the innocent"    

Al - there's  a vendor on OLH that sells Pete's stock at 20%+ below MSRP...Pete is aware of it, as I contacted him twice about it.

IMHO - if these guys have something to be concerned with...they shouldn't be doing what they may be doing.

But hey...I'm not FOG...and you've also gotta CYA....but anonymous...NAH...then you'd be like them, seedy!

Let it go Al.......the initial question should have be asked in private to a select few.

There will be no anonymity at this point.

ironpeddler said:
Let it go Al.......the initial question should have be asked in private to a select few.

DIng ding ding!

:thumbs:

DIng ding ding!

:thumbs:

Agree, from a guy in a fog!

ironpeddler said:

Yeah, Al. At this point there isn't any way to drop the hammer and stay annonymous

I AM a Fog!  

Much as I like dirt, the Iron dude hit it.  Anything you say at this point is on the record.