• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Fidel Castro Resigns

Why are politics being discussed? It's one thing to mention that Castro has resigned, however it is uncalled for to start discussing politics. Haven't the recent political threads proven anything? Cigars and Politics do not go hand in hand.

I will open this thread back up, on the basis that the political debating stays to a minimum. First person to screw up will ruin it for everyone.

Do you think this news is good or bad for cigar related issues with this country in the future?

It won't make one bit of difference at all.

Cuba's leadership (or should I say dictatorship) has to clean up it's act with respect to human rights, democracy, releasing political prisoners, etc., before we'll lift sanctions. I don't see them doing that any time soon.

I would suggest reading a book called life after Fidel. interesting enough Fidel was the conservative in the family I do not see anything changing. Raul I believe we will find is not as understanding as his brother.

I wonder how much of the longevity of Fidels reign was due to his charisma?

I thought this was funny

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7253718.stm

If you read into the article, it states

"One or two of the older men remove the cellophane from fat-looking fine cigars - they obviously have their own means of supply of Cuban smoking materials, which are strictly banned in the United States as part of the continuing trade embargo."

I assume that the writer is trying to present an image of cuban expats waiting for fidel to die while smoking cuban cigars at the same time. I thought it was funny when he mentioned that they "remove(d) the cellophane from fat-looking fine cigars - they obviously have their own means of supply of Cuban smoking materials." How long has it been since cuba manufactured "fat looking fine cigars" in cellophane?

The bbc is definitely a hallmark of journalistic credibility.

I would like to see the Embargo end for the sake of the Cuban people (and no BobbyRitz, i never meant to imply the Cuban people aren't proud, i was knocking the system), but as far as being able to get isoms, currently it works for me.

Be curious to see what it would do to the quality of Isoms when (if) the Embargo is lifted. The demand will drastically increase when Joe Schmoe can get them locally, but is Habanos capable of increasing their production that rapidly, i'd guess not, so prices will (IMO) rise as the demand / supply is skewed.

Raul i can't see changing the things that are necessary to lift the embargo, if anything he'll try take whatever measures to keep in power, history shows that will happen.

So, after finishing a paper for my argumentative writing class, I come across this on yahoo news at 2am CST. Fidel Castro has officially resigned! The article is listed below, but I'm sure this will be huge news in the morning.

CASTRO RESIGNS

Do you think this news is good or bad for cigar related issues with this country in the future?

This has been discussed:

Linky1

Linky2

Granted, the implications here are more about the Embargo, yet have key comments regarding Fidel and the Gov't - you see it's the Gov't that needs to change.

"The big bang theory completely misses that there is a second and third generation," of hard-liners in the Cuban government, says Julia Sweig, director for Latin American Studies at the non-partisan Council on Foreign Relations."

Relating to Fidel specifically, this means little to the since he handed power over a while back.
Since then, little has changed.

Let's not forget how he came into power...it was by the people and the sword(ok - gun).
"Castro seized absolute power in Cuba in 1959, when he and his ragtag guerrillas overthrew dictator Fulgencio Batista in what was then a popular revolution." (same source)

A good essay!

Fidel Castro most certainly has a disputable legacy. I do not agree with his policies or the way he implemented them. However, I have a certain amount of grudging respect for the man. Cuba is an island country but a short trip from Florida, yet Fidel has remained in power despite repeated attempts by the United States to dislodge him. Like him or not, he is foremost among politicians of our time. With all the qualities of a true demagogue, he has endured beyond all expectations. Wily as a fox, you have to give him credit for that.

-Mark